Is our Bills Medical Staff Failing the team?

This off season as I began to reflect on the past seasons and the coming season, I began to wonder about this aspect of the Bills organization. I found a few interesting findings but could not fit them well into a single post on here so I made a short blog page for that purpose. A few key excerpts -

Bills were 5th worst in NFL when it comes to injuries. And we're in the bottom third of the league over the past 8 years. That is the definition of failure.

This is not an excuse for past performance but a call to Bills organization to be pro-active in improving this facet of the team's support structure.

https://acanadianfan.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/first-blog-post/

Edited by CanadianFan

The year before we were pretty damn healthy.

So did they all forget how to do their jobs or did people just get injured, which is very common in professional sports, especially football. The ravens were extremely injured two years straight, does that mean their team, usually healthy, has a failure of a medical staff? NO.

how could they have reacted so well to Everett but react so badly to more routine injuries?

....wasn't Everetts life saving the Medical staff whereas injuries would be a function of Strength & Conditioning staff?..............

The year before we were pretty damn healthy.

So did they all forget how to do their jobs or did people just get injured, which is very common in professional sports, especially football. The ravens were extremely injured two years straight, does that mean their team, usually healthy, has a failure of a medical staff? NO.

Baltimore has one of the most injured teams the last 8 years. So YES that is the definition of FAILURE of the whole medical/training/conditioning teams not working well together or not being adequate.

But they do have a franchise QB and very good coaching which has made up for players lost to injuries. If you read the post you'd understand this better.

Thing is we are not one of the top teams in the league in any aspect except injuries. We need to use EVERY SINGLE EDGE we can find to be competitive. This is one of them.

Edited by CanadianFan

The medical staff is surely below average. The accountability piece from the coaches surely didn't help the medical staff!

....wasn't Everetts life saving the Medical staff whereas injuries would be a function of Strength & Conditioning staff?..............

Ok, I may be wrong. Strength and conditioning is below average!

This off season as I began to reflect on the past seasons and the coming season, I began to wonder about this aspect of the Bills organization. I found a few interesting findings but could not fit them well into a single post on here so I made a short blog page for that purpose. A few key excerpts -

Bills were 5th worst in NFL when it comes to injuries. And we're in the bottom third of the league over the past 8 years. That is the definition of failure.

This is not an excuse for past performance but a call to Bills organization to be pro-active in improving this facet of the team's support structure.

Lots of Super Bowl winners to the right of the Bills on total man games lost. (Graph 2)

Edit: the conclusion is hilarious. If you have great coaches and franchise QBs injuries don't hinder success.

Isn't the conclusion if you have a great coach and franchise QB you win a lot?

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

The medical staff is surely below average. The accountability piece from the coaches surely didn't help the medical staff!

...pretty hard to point the finger to the S&C staff in what has become a 24/7/365 year round sport......sure every player get his offseason training/dietary regimen, but how do you legislate it?.....so they slack and hammys result...but how do you account for the ACL injuries, more prevalent than the common cold?.....over training?....PED's?.....go back to the 60's when guys like Billy Shaw took time off from his cement mixing job to play ball for the Bills at a whopping 18 grand a year.....come in, play the season, just like you may do with softball today as a "recreation" from work, and then go back home to mixing cement......crappy equipment, lousy fields/surroundings, bruises 'n banged up, etc and I don't remember the injuries being that prevalent then like they are today.....

Have you not heard that humans weren't meant to play football?

Small and slow people get hurt a lot more out there.

If the Pegulas are willing to set fire to 35 million or whatever it is to pay people not to work, it would only make sense to at least try to maximize this aspect of your organization. I think it may break down to two areas: Are we not placing enough value on durability in player selection, and by extension, what factors may contribute to injury? Are we doing enough to prevent injury in terms of conditioning? And yes the field and facilities should be examined.

The players today are so big and fast (thanks Steroids!) that the physics are tough to avoid. Bigger, faster collisions and more stress on joints are facts of today's NFL. Are the least injured teams/players doing things we could learn from, such as flexibility or even yoga? Is there a correlation to body weight for a given position and injury? Are previous injuries in college or the pros any indicator of future injuries? Does playing certain schemes lead to more injuries? What about playing against certain schemes?

There's got to be a way to influence the outcome, and for all the money spent on this sport, it shouldn't be too expensive to examine this stuff.

If the Pegulas are willing to set fire to 35 million or whatever it is to pay people not to work, it would only make sense to at least try to maximize this aspect of your organization. I think it may break down to two areas: Are we not placing enough value on durability in player selection, and by extension, what factors may contribute to injury? Are we doing enough to prevent injury in terms of conditioning? And yes the field and facilities should be examined.

The players today are so big and fast (thanks Steroids!) that the physics are tough to avoid. Bigger, faster collisions and more stress on joints are facts of today's NFL. Are the least injured teams/players doing things we could learn from, such as flexibility or even yoga? Is there a correlation to body weight for a given position and injury? Are previous injuries in college or the pros any indicator of future injuries? Does playing certain schemes lead to more injuries? What about playing against certain schemes?

There's got to be a way to influence the outcome, and for all the money spent on this sport, it shouldn't be too expensive to examine this stuff.

Exactly. It ends up costing more if players are injured. We pay millions to players who then gets injured and are unable to produce. Lost production means less wins. Those lost dollars could be spent investing in better facilities/equipment/staff that keeps those said players on the field and performing at optimum level.

You want to be a successful team without cheating? You look for every edge you can find. Whatever it is. This is one way.

I was just listening to Peter King podcast interview with Thomas Dimitroff. Dimitroff talked about what he learned from being embeded with top cycling team in Tour de France. at 12:50 he said this:

"it is the marginal gains. the smallest 1,2,3% can make exponential success of a team. The smallest details they pay attention to whether it was food, whether it was sleep... "

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/31/themmqb-podcast-peter-king-thomas-dimitroff-atlanta-falcons-super-bowl-51-russell-wilson-earl-thomas#

Edited by CanadianFan

Players that put themselve in non necessary physical harm also dont contribute to their ability to stay productive on the field. I.e not making the otas. Training camp, minicamp, missing practices, playing basketball, going 100 miles an hour at practice when its a walk through. I really doubt all the injuries are related to the medical personnel or strength and conditioning folks.