[closed]Michael Lombardi - Why the Bills Front Office Was Fired

PIZ

Good article and solid analysis of the situation. Whaley is an excellent scout and could identify talent, but he has had trouble creating a vision and plan for the team and organization. Some of that may be the lack of trust the owners placed in him to pick his own HC so that the organization was on the same page.

"Whaley was all about scouting players; McDermott is about building a team. Scouts don’t always know how to build teams. They know only how to pick players. And a scout focused primarily on scouting players can succeed only in a fantasy draft."

Not to sound like BADOL - but this is what I have been saying about Whaley for YEARS...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I love hearing from the people who have been there. Now, I'm not sure how he knows the things he says and he knows, and in fact I suspect he can't prove much of what he says actually happened. I think he's speculating. But he's speculating from a perspective the rest of us don't have. He's been there and seen these dynamics up front and personal. So he's inclined to know even though he wasn't in the rooms at OBD.

Very interesting commentary, and believable. Thanks for posting.

I love hearing from the people who have been there. Now, I'm not sure how he knows the things he says and he knows, and in fact I suspect he can't prove much of what he says actually happened. I think he's speculating. But he's speculating from a perspective the rest of us don't have. He's been there and seen these dynamics up front and personal. So he's inclined to know even though he wasn't in the rooms at OBD.

Very interesting commentary, and believable. Thanks for posting.

He also knows there's no way anyone can verify he's wrong.

"Whaley was all about scouting players; McDermott is about building a team. Scouts don’t always know how to build teams. They know only how to pick players. And a scout focused primarily on scouting players can succeed only in a fantasy draft."

Not to sound like BADOL - but this is what I have been saying about Whaley for YEARS...

Yep same here

Guest NeckBeard

This is blindingly obvious having read it, maybe this is the start of something special.

Either it's the start of something special, or it's a huge swing and a miss. But at least it's something new for a change, and I think it's worth watching it play out.

Awesome article and answers every question I had about coach McD and what happened with Whaley and why it happened.

https://theringer.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-fired-sean-mcdermott-d87e027bae86-d87e027bae86

Nice atricle. Just irks me that Pegs didn't own up to it in a more straightforward fashion. Could have done it without deprecating Whaley at all.

Either it's the start of something special, or it's a huge swing and a miss. But at least it's something new for a change, and I think it's worth watching it play out.

Yup. Changing directions isn't going to help someone lost in a forest and trying to get out.

Guest NeckBeard

Yup. Changing directions isn't going to help someone lost in a forest and trying to get out.

EXACTLY!

Looking back as great as Whaley was at finding talent, building a team was his downfall.

Jeff Tuel easily cost us a playoff birth that One year when he had to step in for an injured Manuel. Had we had a competent back up we would have won enough games. How many years did our offensive line kill us? And there we're times our front seven couldn't stop a four year old from rushing for 100 yards.

It's just seemed that each year we were always searching for answers at key positions. Sometimes you can get lucky by finding a free agent off the street, but your always playing behind the eight ball in that scenario.

Hopefully McD can create the consistency that this team has been lacking for so long.

Edited by dezertbill