NFLPA to focus on marijuana for therapeutic reason

Please tell me how that my stance is players are disciplined enough to refrain from pills and alcohol. I have not and will not condone it. Stop putting words in my mouth and reqd what I posted. You can have that argument with someone else who is actually saying that players are more disciplined from alcohol and pill ise.

What i have said and will continue to say, is that in a violent sport where very large men run at speeds upwards of 20 mph with minimal protection there is no need to expose them to unnecessary physical damage in way of self medicated in any form to include marijuana.

Further, as such imagine your 100 mil qb getting exposed to this and it being proved that it was through fault of another player using marijuana or any substance for that matter.

Please if you want to have a conversation stick to what I have said and to what you want me to say. I havent and will not condone the use of those other substances for uses other than intended.

Your take is terrible on this. There is a 0% chance that players will be using while playing. You obviously know nothing about cannabis.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me how that my stance is players are disciplined enough to refrain from pills and alcohol. I have not and will not condone it. Stop putting words in my mouth and reqd what I posted. You can have that argument with someone else who is actually saying that players are more disciplined from alcohol and pill ise.

What i have said and will continue to say, is that in a violent sport where very large men run at speeds upwards of 20 mph with minimal protection there is no need to expose them to unnecessary physical damage in way of self medicated in any form to include marijuana.

Further, as such imagine your 100 mil qb getting exposed to this and it being proved that it was through fault of another player using marijuana or any substance for that matter.

Please if you want to have a conversation stick to what I have said and to what you want me to say. I havent and will not condone the use of those other substances for uses other than intended.

Well duh....that was the entire point.

This thread title specifically states for therapeutic reasons.

You keep bringing up hypotheticals like your $100 million QB getting exposed to further physical damage because of another player using marijuana? Yeah if it can be proven he smoked up and was high during the game...just like other drugs/alcohol. It's not any different.

Your take is terrible on this. There is a 0% chance that players will be using while playing. You obviously know nothing about cannabis.

He's incredibly uneducated on this topic.

Both sides of this argument are valid. We dont want people​ getting hurt due to irresponsible behavior and current pain killers or anti-inflammatory medications are proven to be inadequate. Why not let our professional athletes decide what serves them best before jumping to conclusions? Personally I can't take any prescription or over the counter anti-inflammatory due to severe allergic reaction. Marijuana is the only viable alternative. Would I go to work ripped... certainly not. Does pot impact my life in a negative way? Absolutely not. The same cannot be said for other medications or alcohol.

You can take alcohol and painkillers without getting wasted.... probably 99% of use of those substances is without the 100% intent of getting high...

Not so for pot, that is 100% requiring you get high.

Really? i would say the majority of people who drink alcohol and take pain killers, especially of the opiate variety, are getting high. Just ask your health care provider.

Sounds like another reason not to draft a QB high.

Nice!

Really? i would say the majority of people who drink alcohol and take pain killers, especially of the opiate variety, are getting high. Just ask your health care provider.

Nice!

I never really liked pills. The last time I was prescribed them, I didn't even take them. I had some friends offer me money for them so I took it.

I don't know what it is now but when I was in college, generally they were being sold for about $8.00 a pill. This was 15 years ago. They sold like candy.

They are using it now popping right and left on urine tests and cant refrain from doing it with millions of dollars and a lifetime ban on the line, but I am wrong. You can have fun arguing with yourself.

They are using it now popping right and left on urine tests and cant refrain from doing it with millions of dollars and a lifetime ban on the line, but I am wrong. You can have fun arguing with yourself.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Your argument was that players would be using on the field and it would be dangerous, hence the injury to the "100 million dollar qb." I can tell you that no professional athlete would dream of stepping on the field while high. If you think so, you have either never played football or never gotten high.

who in the world gets high for a game? i'm sure smoking goes on on the regular, but being paranoid about players with in game use is a waste of time. there's just no basis for it.

It can be detected in a drug test for up to 1 month after use, depending on the person.

Just because they failed a drug test doesn't mean that they were getting high before games.

Players show up to games hours early. They'd basically have to be using it right in the locker room to actually be "high" during a game.

I can't imagine that would ever happen.

Look, alcohol is legal and lots of players drink in their free time, yet they don't get drunk before games.

It can be detected in a drug test for up to 1 month after use, depending on the person.

Just because they failed a drug test doesn't mean that they were getting high before games.

Players show up to games hours early. They'd basically have to be using it right in the locker room to actually be "high" during a game.

I can't imagine that would ever happen.

Look, alcohol is legal and lots of players drink in their free time, yet they don't get drunk before games.

Highs are generally 45 or so minutes long so by kickoff....they would be normal. With the adrenaline...the high would probably be like 25 minutes long.

Highs are generally 45 or so minutes long so by kickoff....they would be normal. With the adrenaline...the high would probably be like 25 minutes long.

Yup.

The thing is, It's so readily available anyway, and yet guys aren't getting high before games.

from what I understand players are only tested like once a year or something like that, unless they are in the drug program. So I am sure plenty of guys are smoking it already. I've seen estimates of 50% or more of NFL players smoke.

So the only real difference I see with it being legal is that 1) guys wouldn't be getting suspended for an entire year for a more/less harmless substance with many therapeutic effects. And 2) it would be able to help cut down on the amount of opiates given out in the NFL, which is a fantastic thing.

Opiates are much much much more dangerous than pot is. It's not even close. Opiates are one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Oh, and they can get you much "higher" than pot can, too. They can have an extremely strong narcotic effect, to the point where you literally can't even keep your eyes open (aka "nodding"). They can make it so you can hardly function. In fact, they can make you stop breathing and die, from repressing your nervous system so much.

Yup.

The thing is, It's so readily available anyway, and yet guys aren't getting high before games.

from what I understand players are only tested like once a year or something like that, unless they are in the drug program. So I am sure plenty of guys are smoking it already. I've seen estimates of 50% or more of NFL players smoke.

So the only real difference I see with it being legal is that 1) guys wouldn't be getting suspended for an entire year for a more/less harmless substance with many therapeutic effects. And 2) it would be able to help cut down on the amount of opiates given out in the NFL, which is a fantastic thing.

Opiates are much much much more dangerous than pot is. It's not even close. Opiates are one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Oh, and they can get you much "higher" than pot can, too. They can have an extremely strong narcotic effect, to the point where you literally can't even keep your eyes open (aka "nodding"). They can make it so you can hardly function. In fact, they can make you stop breathing and die, from repressing your nervous system so much.

I never liked pills....it just made me sit and do nothing. I just sold them to friends. A guy I knew in high school fell asleep and never woke back up after taking Vicodin.

It's as easy to get weed as it is to get beer. Legal or not...people are lighting up.

If a player has pain after a game, it's crazy to think he can't take a couple of hits to feel better. But we can prescribe them pills which is 100 times more hard on the body.

The NFL needs to take the same stance as MLB and NBA....they don't care about it.

Yup.

i'm pretty sure they're tested every year around June. if they've never been caught before, that should be the only date. all they have to do is abstain for a month before that date, then it's a free for all after that.

i agree concerning opiates as well. as i mentioned before, it's one of the single biggest factors when it comes to the increased use of heroine. we have a number of cops that come through our office, and one mentioned to me that they would get an over dose call once in a rare while, and now it's become a weekly event.

I never liked pills....it just made me sit and do nothing. I just sold them to friends. A guy I knew in high school fell asleep and never woke back up after taking Vicodin.

It's as easy to get weed as it is to get beer. Legal or not...people are lighting up.

If a player has pain after a game, it's crazy to think he can't take a couple of hits to feel better. But we can prescribe them pills which is 100 times more hard on the body.

The NFL needs to take the same stance as MLB and NBA....they don't care about it.

and the nhl. i just don't think they care.

The league doesn't need to make any judgements one way or the other. They don't need to announce an updated stance on marijuana use or anything like that.

They would just need to stop including it on drug screenings. I'm fairly certain that's how the other leagues treat it.