Nathan Peterman/Trent Edwards (pre-Cards game) comparison

Trent was exposed. Defenses got wise to the fact that he will only throw about 5 yards down field and will most likely just dump it off to RBs. After 4 or 5 games, opposing defenses camped on the short routes, stacked the box and dared him to beat them deep. He didn't. He couldn't. He refused to throw the ball downfield. His 3 INT first half vs. Cleveland may have contributed to that situation.

I remember that and it was probably a hit during that next game that really did the damage. He shouldn't have played, thought that at the time, and he would have been held out if that was 2017. That next game wasn't a fluke, he was becoming that player.

Yep, the famous mylar balloon game against San Diego. 5-1. And it's been terrible ever since for the most part, minus 2014.

I can see the comparison to Edwards. When Edwards was drafted, he reminded me more of Reich than Kelly. As we all know, Edwards was decent for awhile but his play dropped off extremely quickly. The concussion may have factored in, but i think it was more among the lines of teams having more film on him and figuring him out. After leaving Buffalo, his confidence was shattered and he never recovered.

In a different circumstance, I believe that Edwards could have had a career as a game manager backup similar to Orton or Hoyer. As far as Peterman, I see him being that type of player too. If Buffalo doesn't rush him and develops him correctly, he could have a nice career.

The Rule of 26-27-60 is used to predict the success of future NFL quarterbacks. The rule proposes that if a NFL prospect scored at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, started at least 27 games in college, and completed at least 60 percent of his passes, he would succeed in the NFL, if he did not meet all three criteria, he would fail.

Peterman started 30+ games, completed 60.1%, and scored a 33 on the Wonderlic (same as Brady).

Trent Edwards started 30+ games & scored 31 on the Wonderlic. But only completed 56%.

Using this formula- Peterman has a better chance of NFL success.

Here's the thing about the captain checkdown argument, I don't believe it to be accurate prior the hit. I'll try and do some analysis later, but this Trent Edward's highlight video was posted Oct 2008, which is right around the time of that Cards game I believe. I know highlights are hand picked, but these are anticipation throws on time and on target into tight windows, with the poise to let a play develop knowing there is a hit coming.

https://youtu.be/sZk9bINoPG4

That is not the same player who turned into Captain Checkdownl. Also, Edwards and Peterman both do the same leg lift it looks like.

Here's the thing about the captain checkdown argument, I don't believe it to be accurate prior the hit. I'll try and do some analysis later, but this Trent Edward's highlight video was posted Oct 2008, which is right around the time of that Cards game I believe. I know highlights are hand picked, but these are anticipation throws on time and on target into tight windows, with the poise to let a play develop knowing there is a hit coming.

That is not the same player who turned into Captain Checkdownl. Also, Edwards and Peterman both do the same leg lift it looks like.

Geez, name one of those receivers besides Evans. Wow.

Edwards looked good and played well until he got his lights turned out in the desert. He hasn't been the same since. let's hope things work out better for Peterman

Edited by BmarvB

His 3 INT first half vs. Cleveland may have contributed to that situation.

Ah, so many good Trent memories in this thread. I was at that game and watched Lee Evans get open time after time after time.

Stupid missed field goal and voila, another Bills heartbreaker, and even worse, on MNF.

When was the Arizona game? I tried to fit it into his career stats timeline and can't seem to pinpoint it.

10 games 7tds 8ints, 14g 11tds 10ints, 8g 6tds 7ints and 2g 1td 2ints.

Week 5 in the 2008 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Buffalo_Bills_season#Week_5:_at_Arizona_Cardinals

Edited by thunderingsquid

The [/size]Rule of 26-27-60 is used to predict the success of future NFL quarterbacks[/size]. The rule proposes that if a NFL prospect scored at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, started at least 27 games in college, and completed at least 60 percent of his passes, he would succeed in the NFL, if he did not meet all three criteria, he would fail.[/size]

Peterman started 30+ games, completed 60.1%, and scored a 33 on the Wonderlic (same as Brady).[/size]

Trent Edwards started 30+ games & scored 31 on the Wonderlic. But only completed 56%.[/size]

Using this formula- Peterman has a better chance of NFL success.[/size]

That's pretty cool. I think I'd heard of that before but it's not mentioned enough for it to sink in. I like stats like that, thanks for the info

*Edit* I did more research on this "rule" and it is highly innacurate. According to that EJ should be a Pro Bowler, he measured off the charts. Also Cam Newton only had 1 out of 3 (completion %) and was the best player in the NFL 2 yrs ago. I'd say that completion % is the most important of those factors and Peterman only barely makes the cut with 60%. Ideally you want to have 65% or better in college. Someone looking into the validity of the rule even said "Something to consider: As the college game has progressed and completion percentage averages have increased, it is possible the historical number SI used is outdated and the number is higher. Perhaps 62 or 64 percent." But all of this is just guessing anyways. I still think Peterman will be a career backup and I'll stand by that until proven otherwise

Edited by kdiggz

Looking back, I believe that the major concussion Edwards received in the Arizona game was a red herring, rather than an indicator that there was regression after the hit.

As others have pointed out, arguably his best game as a pro was in his NEXT game AFTER the Arizona one against the Chargers.

Coming out of Stanford, the scouting profile on Edwards indicated that he was a high character individual (never threw teammates under the bus despite playing behind a horrific OL and having mediocre receivers in college), who was bright (could pick up a playbook), showed poise (a word that was over-used describing him as a rookie), and made very quick decisions. Stacked against him was average arm strength and an inability to throw with anticipation; Edwards never liked throwing the ball until his receivers came open. Also, as we would discover, the quick decision-making was not necessarily that he read coverage and processed what he saw quickly -- it was more an unwillingness on his part to wait for longer plays to develop.

Peterman enters the league with a similar scouting report. Average arm strength that is mitigated somewhat by quick decision-making and poise. The distinction, however, is that one of Perterman's strengths supposedly is that he DOES anticipate his throws very well. In fact, according to Mayock, he may have been the best QB in this entire draft class in those regards.

The common comparison for Peterman leading up to the draft was Kirk Cousins. Not the Kirk Cousins that we know today -- but the one who was an NFL prospect coming out of Michigan State. I remember scouts back then saying that they loved everything about him -- leadership, field vision, ability to anticipate throws -- but they just wish that he had more arm strength. Time will tell how well Peterman develops in the pros. But if he shows that he can at least make all of the necessary NFL throws he could be a keeper.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Ah, so many good Trent memories in this thread. I was at that game and watched Lee Evans get open time after time after time.

Stupid missed field goal and voila, another Bills heartbreaker, and even worse, on MNF.

I remember seeing some close ups of Trent warming up on the sidelines before that MNF game. He did not look right. A deer in the headlights even before the opening kickoff. I said to myself "this isn't going to end well".

I don't think there is much risk of Peterman being another Trent. Peterman looks to attack the defence (maybe too much even-may have to learn how to play within himself). Trent was in mortal fear of the opposing D. Totally different animal.