QB comparative data for Tyrod from Cian Fahey to discuss

Let's not go crazy and cherry pick or eliminate games from a sample size so it fits your point better.

And you're someone who constantly criticizes all the rumors and speculation you hear in the media and now you're citing them? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth my friend.

The stats I posted were the entire season. The offense was average or above in 7/10 drive stats and top 10 in 3/10, the defense was below average in 8/10 drive stats and top 10 in 1/10.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not go crazy and cherry pick or eliminate games from a sample size so it fits your point better.

And you're someone who constantly criticizes all the rumors and speculation you hear in the media and now you're citing them? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth my friend.

Blah blah blah.

Do I actually need to explain why, in hindsight, those media reports appear credible?

It's not an all or nothing thing. Why do people here succumb so easily to extremes? You seem like a smart person... I'm sure you actually understand how naive it is to restrict anyone to your own absolute and rigidly defined ideologies. You should stop doing it. Just trying to be helpful. :thumbsup:

And I don't think getting rid of at least the last Jets game is remotely unreasonable.

And I don't think getting rid of at least the last Jets game is remotely unreasonable.

I have no dog in this fight. But if you are going to exclude some games from Tyrod's stats, for comparison sake you need to also exclude those from all the other QB's stats. I hope you have the time to go through every QB's games and decide which games to include, and which to discount. Good luck on getting a consensus!

I have no dog in this fight. But if you are going to exclude some games from Tyrod's stats, for comparison sake you need to also exclude those from all the other QB's stats. I hope you have the time to go through every QB's games and decide which games to include, and which to discount. Good luck on getting a consensus!

Nah. Not something I'll do right now. Completely understand the methodology, the point largely was the impact of the game on the team's average and how it was out of the general norm.

But 15 other teams had starters miss games (or be benched) in 2016, so if you look up NE, IND, ARI, PIT, OAK, MIN, DEN, Chicago, CAR, MIA, TEN, CLEV, LA, NYJ, and SF, you'll have your answer quickly :thumbsup:

Nah. Not something I'll do right now. Completely understand the methodology, the point largely was the impact of the game on the team's average and how it was out of the general norm.

But 15 other teams had starters miss games (or be benched) in 2016, so if you look up NE, IND, ARI, PIT, OAK, MIN, DEN, Chicago, CAR, MIA, TEN, CLEV, LA, NYJ, and SF, you'll have your answer quickly :thumbsup:

Let us know what you find.

Blah blah blah.

Do I actually need to explain why, in hindsight, those media reports appear credible?

So you just pick and choose which rumors you find credible based on the point you're making? Okay I guess. Sounds hypocritical but I suppose you can do that.

It's not an all or nothing thing. Why do people here succumb so easily to extremes? You seem like a smart person... I'm sure you actually understand how naive it is to restrict anyone to your own absolute and rigidly defined ideologies. You should stop doing it. Just trying to be helpful. :thumbsup:

Cherry picking is fun I guess.

So you just pick and choose which rumors you find credible based on the point you're making? Okay I guess. Sounds hypocritical but I suppose you can do that.

We're not allowed to do that? bummer :lol:

Sooo .... missing a guy is irrelevant ? :huh:

I don't think that's necsssary. He said "middle of the league" which isn't very specific, and it's hard for me to imagine us moving down from middle of the league based on a few other teams having a couple games without their starter. If you want an exact measure we'd have to go through every single team but for a quick analysis taking those 3 games away and saying "middle of the league" as a general statement is fair. IMO

Not that it really matters. TOP and 3&out % don't correlate well with playoffs or championships.

Pretty easy to figure out how true rumors are based on what unfolds. I never absolutely dismiss what the media says. I just always take it with a grain of salt, varying in size. It's especially easy to be skeptical when you get wildly varying reports.

But after the fact it's not so difficult to figure out the accuracy of the reports.

Creepy stalking based on a handful of times I've replied to you? Don't flatter yourself. If anything you should be thankful I find my way into your threads.

Remember this? :flirt:

Ding ding ding

Look, another fan!

Insightful post, as usual :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

So first of all, I'd recommend forking out the less than $20 to get this PDF QB catalogue emailed to you. It's obvious he put tons of work and time into this. Last year when someone first mentioned him to me on reference to this catalogue, my reaction was: "who the hell is Cian Fahey?!"

Well, in short, he's good at what he does... having worked at Footballoutsiders for a while before going out on his own. But no matter what you think of his knowledge, what the catalogue primarily accomplishes (at least for me) is a good deal of comparative data that goes beyond the typical charted data the league tracks.

The focus is on the actual level of play of a QB on the field by attributing credit and/or blame for individual things the QB almost always gets credit (i.e.:completion %) or blame (i.e.:interceptions, sacks) for.

Fahey acknowledges the inevitable subjectivity involved, but uses the same subjective criteria to chart 33 NFL QBs and every single one of their snaps. So it's pretty evenly subjective, at least.

There are chapters that discuss in detail all 33 QBs more anecdotally, but I don't want to post too much simply because of the amount of work he put into it. If you're a football fan and specifically a fan of QBs, it's easily worth $20.

But here are a few pieces of comparative data some that seem to counter some preconceived notions.

I think people can figure out what these terms mean themselves, but again, Fahey explains in detail what each category means and what he includes.

All I'm doing is including the rankings among his 32 peers for each category:

INTERCEPTABLE PASS % - 3rd

CAUGHT (by the defense) INTERCEPTABLE PASS % - Tied for 6th highest

ACCURACY % - 9th

ACCURACY % behind LOS - 19th

ACCURACY % passes 11-15 yards - 8th

ACCURACY % passes 11-20 yards - 10th

ACCURACY % passes 5 or more yards - 7th

% of total attempts up to 10 yards beyond LOS - 24th

% of total attempts beyond 10 yards beyond LOS - 10th

FAILED RECEPTION (by the WR) %.- 4th highest

CREATED RECEPTION (by the WR) % - 20th highest

CREATED YARDS (by the WR) % - 26th

ADJUSTED COMPLETION % - 5th

ADJUSTED YPA - 3rd

SCREENS, SCREEN TDs, & SCREEN % - 33rd

AVOIDABLE SACK % - 18th

Anyway... there's a LOT more in the catalogue but I don't know if everyone remembers McDermott's PC about why the Bills decided to keep Taylor and one of the things he mentioned was that in watching Taylor on film last year he was really good (the actual word might have been fantastic, but now I'm too lazy to look it up) and all everyone could call it was "coachspeak?" Maybe that's true, to some degree... but maybe he was also being truthful...

This makes a lot of sense. Tyrod has been prone to pulling the ball down and getting out of the pocket and/or running when he doesn't see an open WR. Where he's needed to improve is doing less of that by improving his anticipation and throwing receivers open. He has made strides avoiding big hits though. That's been welcome.

This makes a lot of sense. Tyrod has been prone to pulling the ball down and getting out of the pocket and/or running when he doesn't see an open WR. Where he's needed to improve is doing less of that by improving his anticipation and throwing receivers open. He has made strides avoiding big hits though. That's been welcome.

I agree with this......I love how Tyrod can turn nothing into a 1st down with his running ability but i really want that to be the last resort........

I agree with this......I love how Tyrod can turn nothing into a 1st down with his running ability but i really want that to be the last resort........

the thing is, it usually is only a nothing for Tyrod. because he can't throw receivers open, can't see over the O-line and just generally doesn't see 'open' receivers, he turns to his legs. whereas other quarterbacks that can do those things, have far less 'nothing' plays and thus less of a need to turn to their legs to make a play.