UDFA Thread Time!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Bills striking out on top UDFAs. Kind of figured that with McDermott. These guys like to go to coaches they know. McDermott was relying on these guys to fill out roster. Wonder what he is going to do now?

Umm, no.

He said it in a interview before draft. It was about not having much salary cap space so they will need to get players in UDFA that can play.

I guarantee McD did not say he would be relying upon UDFAs to fill this roster.

I guarantee McD did not say he would be relying upon UDFAs to fill this roster.

Well you are wrong:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/buffalo_bills_pre-draft_luncheon_sean_mcdermott_talks_doug_whaley_5_takeaways.html

With only six picks and just under 20 roster spots to fill, the Bills are going to need to sign some undrafted players to fill out the roster and add competition during training camp. McDermott has learned the value undrafted players can have over the course of his NFL career.

"Well, the key right now is for us to find the right players and then within that priority free agent period, you have to make sure that numbers get to a certain level so that you can go out and practice and have a good quality practice - offense, defense and special teams," McDermott said. "You have to keep that in mind, yet at the same time, we want to find guys that have a chance to make this football team. Not into numbers, I'm into quality. That's important for us, and I know our scouts have done a great job with that and we're looking forward to continuing to have those meetings. I want to hear about player X or Johnny from whatever school it is and I'm looking forward to learning about those types of players because they can help football teams."

I think the punter has a real shot of staying. Might also be able to handle KO and EP duties, leaving Hauschka to do FGs.

Honestly, even letting Hauschka do FG and KO and moving away from XP would be pretty awesome. With so many kickers struggling to knock down that long XP and then struggling with their FG accuracy due to it, that'd be an interesting card to be able to play.

filling out a roster to have 90 to practice is just a tad different than relying on UDFA to make your roster and help you win games. Always great when they do, but not a coach or GMin the NFL that will use that as a stratgey

Honestly, even letting Hauschka do FG and KO and moving away from XP would be pretty awesome. With so many kickers struggling to knock down that long XP and then struggling with their FG accuracy due to it, that'd be an interesting card to be able to play.

The fact that most of his missed extra points were blocked makes me think it was an offensive line problem more than anything else. But if this UDFA punter can handle KOs and extra points, I'd let him do it and let Hauschka focus on field goals.

Was it just me or did the Bills sign a bunch of UDFA's who were not highly rated. I looked through the grades on nfl.com and Gil Brandt's list, and only a couple of players that the Bills signed were on there. These are big lists too.

Edited by LabattBlue

Was it just me or did the Bills sign a bunch of UDFA's who were not highly rated. I looked through the grades on nfl.com and Gil Brandt's list, and only a couple of layers that the Bills signed were on there. These are big lists too.

No, you are spot on. All of the top rated UDFA signed with other teams. I was hoping since we had no 7th rounder that the Bills would be working the phones early to pluck out the cream of the crop. Seems we did hit on a punter.

Was it just me or did the Bills sign a bunch of UDFA's who were not highly rated. I looked through the grades on nfl.com and Gil Brandt's list, and only a couple of layers that the Bills signed were on there. These are big lists too.

This happens every year... the last big name UDFA we got was Da'Rick Rogers. And he didnt even make the team. UDFAs is such a crap shoot its usually the guys youve never heard of that makes the teams and fills a niche that all others overlooked. Besides we got the best Punter of the draft so we may have added a starter as a UDFA... cant say that often. This scouting department has always done a decent job finding UDFAs... just gotta trust em

This happens every year... the last big name UDFA we got was Da'Rick Rogers. And he didnt even make the team. UDFAs is such a crap shoot its usually the guys youve never heard of that makes the teams and fills a niche that all others overlooked. Besides we got the best Punter of the draft so we may have added a starter as a UDFA... cant say that often. This scouting department has always done a decent job finding UDFAs... just gotta trust em

I'm not just talking about the top guys. The lists I looked at were 200-300 players deep, and I only found a few of the UDFA's the Bills signed, on them.