I don't understand the White hate...

Look, I think McD has come to the realization that the Bills are probably NOT going to win the SB this year. He is still seeking to make them competitive this year, however.

The macroscopic view though is to look to next year when the QB class is expected to be much better than this year. it is about getting their franchise QB NEXT YEAR.

With TWO FIRST ROUND picks the Bills will have a lot of leverage to do what they need to do.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the trade back, just as I have no problem with them not matching NE's RFA offer for Gilly. We have lots of holes on this team, and now we have extra picks to fill them. I would have been happy with Lattimore, Howard or Allen at 10, but we got a likely plug and play starter at CB and 2 more draft picks.

So does this mean that the priority now is for the Bills to tank this season so they get a higher pick to package with the KC pick to get a QB, or a high enough pick to get a QB with that pick? Or is the priority to make the playoffs and get a lower pick that may prevent them from moving up to get a top QB?

KC could win the superbowl and Buffalo have #30 by losing in the AFC Championship and STILL Move up to a top 3 spot for a QB with an additional pick or two. Bottom line we have two firsts next year. Lets just be happy with that for awhile.

Look, I think McD has come to the realization that the Bills are probably NOT going to win the SB this year. He is still seeking to make them competitive this year, however.

The macroscopic view though is to look to next year when the QB class is expected to be much better than this year. it is about getting their franchise QB NEXT YEAR.

With TWO FIRST ROUND picks the Bills will have a lot of leverage to do what they need to do.

Yes. No idea why this is so difficult to grasp.

There is a long-term plan. Shocking, I know. But it's actually looking pretty cohesive right now. Slow change instead of panic picks and dumping money on temporary fixes. What a concept!

"How can fans not like what we did last night?" Easy, because they are idiots. This was a great move. We got an excellent talent with tremendous character and no real injury history to speak of. A valedictorian who wore #18 at LSU with skills. This guy is going to lead our secondary. We have an obvious hole at CB that needed to be filled and this was the safest pick to do it IMO. Not to mention we add another 1st rounder next year and a 3rd. Who could possibly complain on this?

You wanted Foster? Cool, another guy in the drug program. Risky. You wanted a QB? Cool, you were probably saying a month ago how this QB class sucked. You wanted a TE? Cool, how many times has that worked out with a first round pick. Oh, I know, you wanted the best CB at 10, Lattimore? Cool, another guy coming off an injury that you can blast Whaley for like you did Lawson. Oh, I see, it was a T, you wanted a T right? Ok, I actually agree that this would have been a good move too, the only one besides CB that I would have supported.

But we just let Gilmore walk, we are spinning our wheels, right? Cool, except for the fact that this guy will save us over $10M per year on the cap. That's 2 additional starters on top of White for the same money as Gilmore. I know, I know, I know, math is tough for a lot of you, but can you really not see the difference here?

+1

"How can fans not like what we did last night?" Easy, because they are idiots. This was a great move. We got an excellent talent with tremendous character and no real injury history to speak of. A valedictorian who wore #18 at LSU with skills. This guy is going to lead our secondary. We have an obvious hole at CB that needed to be filled and this was the safest pick to do it IMO. Not to mention we add another 1st rounder next year and a 3rd. Who could possibly complain on this?

You wanted Foster? Cool, another guy in the drug program. Risky. You wanted a QB? Cool, you were probably saying a month ago how this QB class sucked. You wanted a TE? Cool, how many times has that worked out with a first round pick. Oh, I know, you wanted the best CB at 10, Lattimore? Cool, another guy coming off an injury that you can blast Whaley for like you did Lawson. Oh, I see, it was a T, you wanted a T right? Ok, I actually agree that this would have been a good move too, the only one besides CB that I would have supported.

But we just let Gilmore walk, we are spinning our wheels, right? Cool, except for the fact that this guy will save us over $10M per year on the cap. That's 2 additional starters on top of White for the same money as Gilmore. I know, I know, I know, math is tough for a lot of you, but can you really not see the difference here?

It's great when you tell people what they "thought" months ago. Makes it really easy to shoot down their arguments when you're the one who makes them up.

I hope we trade down again from #10 in the 2nd.

me too. This team needs bodies... lost a lot of talent to FA as they always do, especially now in Rebuild/Restart mode. This team needs young draft-able talent and lots of it.

Need 9-10 picks per year to lock up with 4 year contracts as the exodus will continue (Sammy, Shady, others) during this latest "Rebuild/Restart" phase. Although most are already gone. This will always be a team of guys either on their first or last contract, so lets load up on the former. The big stars on their second contract and max productive years will usually go to a higher calibre franchise in a more desirable location. Just the way it is. The draft is huge.

Edited by jmcraig44

+1

We took another corner that fits this system and is an outstanding leader and player. We took a corner because a good, but not great, corner demanded GREAT CB money and McDermott smartly said no. It was a very smart move.

I am squarely at show me Buffalo.

McDermott has said nothing so far in his 3-4 months here that excites me or makes me think he is any different than Dick Jauron or Doug Marrone. They woke up really early, worked hard, studied tape and spoke in platitudes too.

We've done the whole 1st Round corner thing. We know that doesn't lead to winning. Winfield, Clements, McKelvin, Gilmore.

I think we are trending towards another 6, 7, 8 win season.

This is a very superficial way to look at the NFL draft.

Fans need to get over rooting for us to draft "a position" and simply root for our front office to make smart decisions.

I've been following these boards long enough to remember the OUTRAGE when the Bills passed on guys like Jimmy Clausen, Ryan Mallet, Johnny Manziel and Bryce Petty. People complained about us taking other positions instead of QB. But if we would have drafted any of those guys, our team would be infinitely worse than today.

It's possible that passing on Mahomes/Watson will come back to haunt us. But it's also possible we dodged a bullet.

Right now, it's impossible to know.

Ok, however, you have to admit the Bills have capped their upside this year.

Right?

Same QB starting, one quality WR, 1st Round corner to replace the corner we just lost in FA, looking forward to 2018.

I'm not mad, but I'm also not buying the Kool-Aid that we are suddenly on a winning path.

We didn't do anything amazing. We are the same 6 ,7, 8 win team, hoping that KC and Houston didn't just get a stud QB.

Again, no outrage here, I didn't throw anything or punch a dog, I just don't see how this adds any upside to the Bills. You didn't get an elite talent like Foster, Howard, Hooker, etc, and you are just delaying the inevitable - Tyrod is not good enough to win anything, so someday we will need a QB.

Those who lack patience, insight, and proper information are the loudest, nowadays. I suspect that a good portion of posters who are angry wrongly assume that reaching for a QB would immediately have made "the Bills Great Again". They wanted a big splash, so they could "feel" like Buffalo was going to be better, even though doing so would have been the most foolish thing for this franchise to do.

Seriously, the fans in Houston are going to be calling for Watson's head as soon as his interceptions start piling up. And with no picks next year, the front office will likely be out of a job soon.

Kansas City has bought themselves time with Mahomes, but only because they already have Alex Smith - in addtion to alot of talent on the roster. If we drafted him, he would get thrown in too fast, throw a bunch of pick 6's, and completely loose his confidence.

Those who lack patience, insight, and proper information are the loudest, nowadays. I suspect that a good portion of posters who are angry wrongly assume that reaching for a QB would immediately have made "the Bills Great Again". They wanted a big splash, so they could "feel" like Buffalo was going to be better, even though doing so would have been the most foolish thing for this franchise to do.

Seriously, the fans in Houston are going to be calling for Watson's head as soon as his interceptions start piling up. And with no picks next year, the front office will likely be out of a job soon.

Kansas City has bought themselves time with Mahomes, but only because they already have Alex Smith - in addtion to alot of talent on the roster. If we drafted him, he would get thrown in too fast, throw a bunch of pick 6's, and completely loose his confidence.

All the QBs we didn't draft now will suck.

Wrong, Bills fans want to feel like Chiefs fans today.

That their team admitted they will never win anything unless they get a QB. They took the chance to get a QB.

Instead we take a corner to fill a hole. That's great and logical, but nothing changes with the Bills today.

That their team admitted they will never win anything unless they get a QB. They took the chance to get a QB.

Instead we take a corner to fill a hole. That's great and logical, but nothing changes with the Bills today.

Exactly. This was ... blah. I would've been happy with taking a flyer on Mahomes (a pure futures play) or with taking an O.J. (a "we're all in for one last desperate shot at finally getting in the playoffs, and if that doesn't work it's full Cleveland for 2018" move). But this is kind of neither of the above. It's "let's stay competitive, try to hit .500, avoid embarrassment, reevaluate on where we're headed after 2017" move. Which is a recipe for mediocrity and the 10th or so pick again next year, which to me doesn't accomplish anything at all.

We made splashes before in the draft, how many playoff appearances?

5. fell down too many spots. KC's 25-30 pick is not the same as Houston's top 10-15 pick in 2018. I would have done a deal with Houston knowing how bad of a team they will be with a rookie QB. If you are going to deal with KC then you need to get more considering where they pick (late in the round)

Funny how you already know the outcome of next season. Houston adds JJ watt and got rid of a horrible starting QB after making the playoffs with the league best defense and they're supposed to pick 5-10 picks earlier next year. While KC adds a QB that won't even play and they're going to be just as good if not better. Makes sense.....

traded down too far, missed out on a lot of good players 15-25, didn't get enough in return considering KC is a good team that will be picking at the end of the 1st next year. glad we traded back, wished it would have been for a 2nd rounder this year as well as a 1st next considering where KC typically picks or I wish it was with a team that picked earlier. houston will be terrible this year, the Browns might have 2 top 10 picks!

The Chefs having even the same record, much less a better one, next year, won't be happening. And Mahomes does nothing to help them in that regards.

The Chiefs liked Maholmes a lot. We didn't. Get over it. We got an additional 1st rd pick next year and and a 3rd rd pick in a deep draft. A new coach that wants to see what he can do with tyrod before moving on from him. If, after this year, he doesn't think tyrod can be the guy, we now have the ammunition to trade up for his replacement. Not sure what the issue is.

because we have some disappointment not getting player X that we all have heard of and believe will be a good player. Get beyond that it's a good move

^This.

I don't fault the move at all at this point because two firsts next year may prove a gold mine and White is an excellent player with a solid core of intangibles to boot.

But I have a sinking feeling we will be watching 6 perennial All Pros or Pro Bowlers and any one of them could have been ours. I totally understand why people would be slow to embrace the move, but it was a good move none the less.