Man I Miss Ralph Wilson

:blink: Is that how you remember it?

It is how I remember it too.

Yes I know we lost a lot under Ralph but we were like an underdog that nobody hated. Every single year it FELT like something good was going to happen even though most of the time it didn't near the end. Ralph seemed to be older and stubborn but he loved Buffalo and the team and you never forgot having seen him in the locker room with JK, Reed, and all the legends giving out hugs and patting guys on the back and smiling like crazy. Say what you want about Ralph but he would have never considered bringing a DB like Rex to coach this team, he never deserved to be here in the first place. Ralph had that old school class that you just have or you don't. That dude is a true legend just as much or more so than all of our hall of famers. People swore he was hoarding money and maybe he was but what did he do with it? Gave away billions right back to the communities where it came from. In this New Era so to speak I don't know what to expect. I'm happy the Bills are still in Buffalo but if we are about to become a big national joke then the team would have been better off gone. I think most know that this is a turning point. The honeymoon is over and Buffalos' Grandad Ralph is watching. Respect what he built let's crush this draft, have a good season and make Ralph proud.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....as a 40 something, Ralph invested 25 grand in 1960+ in the fledgling idea of the AFL, a huge sum then.....'64 and '65 were championship years with guys like Billy Shaw taking time off from his FULL TIME job to come play football for 18 grand (love of the game then versus gimme gimme now) and then go back to mixing cement...70's and 80's were lean with RW being branded as "the cheapskate absentee owner in Detroit", just watching his investment grow with virtually no re-investment.....he began to mature over time and the 90's became different.....at the same time, I don;t see where he ever thought substantial investment in FO, administration and coaching staffs were a dire necessity to succeed....so the era of patchwork FO, admin & "blue light specials" HC's ensued after the Polian firing, thanks to Littmann....Tom "El Presidente" DonoHOLE set this organization back a decade....yes, Mr. Wilson did evolve, but not quick enough to realize that top notch FOOTBALL people need to run a FOOTBALL organization starting with FO/Administration right down to between the white stripes.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

....as a 40 something, Ralph invested 25 grand in 1960+ in the fledgling idea of the AFL, a huge sum then.....'64 and '65 were championship years with guys like Billy Shaw taking time off from his FULL TIME job to come play football for 18 grand (love of the game then versus gimme gimme now) and then go back to mixing cement...70's and 80's were lean with RW being branded as "the cheapskate absentee owner in Detroit", just watching his investment grow with virtually no re-investment.....he began to mature over time and the 90's became different.....at the same time, I don;t see where he ever thought substantial investment in FO, administration and coaching staffs were a dire necessity to succeed....so the era of patchwork FO, admin & "blue light specials" HC's ensued after the Polian firing, thanks to Littmann....Tom "El Presidente" DonoHOLE set this organization back a decade....yes, Mr. Wilson did evolve, but not quick enough to realize that top notch FOOTBALL people need to run a FOOTBALL organization starting with FO/Administration right down to between the white stripes.........

+1

Yes I know we lost a lot under Ralph but we were like an underdog that nobody hated. Every single year it FELT like something good was going to happen even though most of the time it didn't near the end. Ralph seemed to be older and stubborn but he loved Buffalo and the team and you never forgot having seen him in the locker room with JK, Reed, and all the legends giving out hugs and patting guys on the back and smiling like crazy. Say what you want about Ralph but he would have never considered bringing a DB like Rex to coach this team, he never deserved to be here in the first place. Ralph had that old school class that you just have or you don't. That dude is a true legend just as much or more so than all of our hall of famers. People swore he was hoarding money and maybe he was but what did he do with it? Gave away billions right back to the communities where it came from. In this New Era so to speak I don't know what to expect. I'm happy the Bills are still in Buffalo but if we are about to become a big national joke then the team would have been better off gone. I think most know that this is a turning point. The honeymoon is over and Buffalos' Grandad Ralph is watching. Respect what he built let's crush this draft, have a good season and make Ralph proud.

I can dig this post

this isn't your blog, Dude.

If you're referring to the Knox era, getting rid of Knox was Ralph's biggest blunder in his time as owner, in my opinion.

Chuck's contract ran out....and Chuck ran away from Ralph Wilson as fast as he possibly could.

You really don't seem like a fan of the team

it's definitely not

that's another post you are totally wrong about.

Chuck's contract ran out....and Chuck ran away from Ralph Wilson as fast as he possibly could.

Ralph wouldn't pay him what Knox wanted on a new deal.

There are a lot of reasons to miss Ralph, but the product on the field isn't one of them. He micromanaged like crazy and was always afraid of giving too much power to the football people. The Kelly years are an anomaly; largely the product of personnel decisions made by Bill Polian.

If you want an owner who understands the importance of a team to a community and who isn't afraid to call out the NFL when it puts larger, more profitable markets at a distinct advantage over others, Ralph's the guy. If you want someone who knows how to put the organization in a position to win, he was a disaster.

Some folks forget what he was up against in with the NFL overs some decades. Man was a fighter.

Did some fine things in his life very respectable for sure.

Unfortunately he did not get us to the promised land.

I will never say a bad word about him.

But i sure will joke around.

Cheap !

You obviously do not remember the early 80's. I Forgive but never forget.

Part of the agreement when signing on as a long term Bills Fan I suppose ; )

this isn't your blog, Dude.

dont read it then

Not a bad broad stroke.

allowing the penny pinchers to rule the roost has been looking shortsighted.

The King Is Dead

Long Live The King

Edited by 3rdand12

Madd Charlie, I applaud your sentiment. No doubt Mr Wilson had his share of flaws but there was no question about his authority, and that includes the whole league and their owners. People can say what they want about him but his mind was razor sharp when it came to the financials of owning and running an NFL. It didn't equate to great success on the field throughout the decades but it was a very profitable business and that is just what it is, it is a business if we like it or not. Unfortunately this can't be said of the Pegulas. Their heart, passion and love for the region is in the right place but they are in over their heads about running this business, at least until this point but hopefully that can eventually change.

I may be wrong about this but you strike me as a young man and a young, optimistic fan of this franchise and I like that, I like that a lot. Don't ever lose that wide eye innocence, it's refreshing. I find your effervescence contagious for me. It kind of reminds me of a puppy that makes an old dog feel young and energetic if only for a few minutes. Thanks for sharing your perspective, trust your heart when it comes to this team/organization and filter your eyes when you read a jaded message board like this one. Don't change kid, you're young enough to be able to enjoy the rewards that this franchise will eventually be able to deliver for you. Oh, and remember, Go Bills!

Madd Charlie, I applaud your sentiment. No doubt Mr Wilson had his share of flaws but there was no question about his authority, and that includes the whole league and their owners. People can say what they want about him but his mind was razor sharp when it came to the financials of owning and running an NFL. It didn't equate to great success on the field throughout the decades but it was a very profitable business and that is just what it is, it is a business if we like it or not. Unfortunately this can't be said of the Pegulas. Their heart, passion and love for the region is in the right place but they are in over their heads about running this business, at least until this point but hopefully that can eventually change.

I may be wrong about this but you strike me as a young man and a young, optimistic fan of this franchise and I like that, I like that a lot. Don't ever lose that wide eye innocence, it's refreshing. I find your effervescence contagious for me. It kind of reminds me of a puppy that makes an old dog feel young and energetic if only for a few minutes. Thanks for sharing your perspective, trust your heart when it comes to this team/organization and filter your eyes when you read a jaded message board like this one. Don't change kid, you're young enough to be able to enjoy the rewards that this franchise will eventually be able to deliver for you. Oh, and remember, Go Bills!

Thanks I appreciate that. This team means a lot to my family and I. Go Bills

Edited by Madd Charlie

Memory loss issues?

He was an owner for a hundred years and the Bills never won a Super Bowl.

I'm sure Buffalo locals are grateful for him keeping the team in Buffalo (really, why wouldn't he? Is there any easier money out there? Put a crap team on the field for 90% of the seasons and still make a ton of dough), but let's face it - he never built a championship team.

That said - early indications are that we likely downgraded.