Sal M: no QB in first.

JM2009

So we want to draft a QB to learn under TT for a year or two....

So what's Cardale Jones doing on the team, exactly?

Isn't that exactly why we drafted him? We're ready to give up on him after a half of one football game?

So we draft someone else to the exact same thing we drafted Jones in the 4th for?

No QB this year. Draft BPA or for need. QB is not a need.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is really nothing that can sway people on this. Tyrod didn't throw the ball because of Roman, Lynn, great running game, Rex Ryan, etc

He is an untapped treasure.

There's really nothing that can sway anyone. You folks are clearly dug in on passing yards and passing attempts as the ultimate indictment on Taylor.

If we can't convince you passing yards and passing attempts aren't as critical as you think they are (after the total number of passing attempts per game goes above a reasonable number... like 20 or 25), then why bother on either side?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

If you define the passing game solely in terms of volume, which apparently a number of posters here do, then yeah, Buffalo's passing game was at the bottom of the league.

Is that really how a passing game should be defined, though? Look at passing attempts and passing yards and then pass judgment...?

You're not going to try and spin this are you? Our passing attack was trash. I know it makes Tyrod look bad but he's a responsible party in that outcome.

Yeah, it was, but why go away from your strength.

I don't think we have to go away from anything. It's clear that for now our running game is head and shoulders more productive than our passing game. The goal should be to get more production out of the passing game and for that the QB needs to be significantly better.

So we want to draft a QB to learn under TT for a year or two....

So what's Cardale Jones doing on the team, exactly?

Isn't that exactly why we drafted him? We're ready to give up on him after a half of one football game?

So we draft someone else to the exact same thing we drafted Jones in the 4th for?

No QB this year. Draft BPA or for need. QB is not a need.

So if Jones doesn't pan out then what? Do we look back and say we passed on a potential franchise QB because we had a developmental type in the system?

I understand whole heartedly what you are saying. I was asking my self the same question in regards to the numbers game if we take a QB.

However, I have no issue what-so-ever adding competition at a position that we desperately need addressed.

And Jones being on the roster in no way makes the QB position set or not a need.

I don't think we have to go away from anything. It's clear that for now our running game is head and shoulders more productive than our passing game. The goal should be to get more production out of the passing game and for that the QB needs to be significantly better.

hopefully he does improve, I think he will now going in to his 3rd year starting. Dennison and McD must of thought they had something to work with and although some don't like the stop gap QB, he will mentor to the young prospect they pick this year or next?

or, he could decline? unpredictable really.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

There is really nothing that can sway people on this. Tyrod didn't throw the ball because of Roman, Lynn, great running game, Rex Ryan, etc

He is an untapped treasure.

So it was Tyrod according to you.

So you think that Lynn would have called a lot more pass plays if Ej or Cardale was starting?

You are making yourself look silly. The offense was designed to run the ball no matter who was quarterback. Even if the quarterback was more of a pocket passer. Anyone who paid any attention to Greg Roman's offense design knows this. Every one of his offenses were always that way.

So it was Tyrod according to you.

So you think that Lynn would have called a lot more pass plays if Ej or Cardale was starting?

You are making yourself look silly. The offense was designed to run the ball no matter who was quarterback. Even if the quarterback was more of a pocket passer. Anyone who paid any attention to Greg Roman's offense design knows this. Every one of his offenses were always that way.

Anthony Lynn could have called for any amount of pass vs run % he wanted. The run/pass ratio is not baked into the Roman offense. Play caller can choose.

Anthony Lynn could have called for any amount of pass vs run % he wanted. The run/pass ratio is not baked into the Roman offense. Play caller can choose.

Then why was it that way every single year? You don't even know that because you don't know jack about Roman's offense obviously. Look at his stats dude. Every year since he was an offensive coordinator designing offenses. Every single stinking year - no exceptions. Overwhelming run heavy. Even when he had Alex Smith completing 70% of his passes.

You just make **** up. lol..

hopefully he does improve, I think he will now going in to his 3rd year starting. Dennison and McD must of thought they had something to work with and although some don't like the stop gap QB, he will mentor to the young prospect they pick this year or next?

or, he could decline? unpredictable really.

I happen to be of the opinion that what we've seen the last 2 years is what we're going to get. He'll do a great job of protecting the ball, will throw some pretty deep balls and be a threat running with the ball. I don't expect him to carve up a defense or put a team on his back when needed. He's a solid stop gap. Nothing more unfortunately. Edited by Bangarang

I happen to be of the opinion that what we've seen the last 2 years is what we're going to get. He'll do a great job of protecting the ball, will throw some pretty deep balls and be a threat running with the ball. I don't expect him to carve up a defense or put a team on his back when needed. He's a solid stop gap. Nothing more unfortunately.

I agree with this assessment, think more than the majority of fans that are content with Tyrod know this.

Then why was it that way every single year? You don't even know that because you don't know jack about Roman's offense obviously. Look at his stats dude. Every year since he was an offensive coordinator designing offenses. Every single stinking year - no exceptions. Overwhelming run heavy. Even when he had Alex Smith completing 70% of his passes.

You just make **** up. lol..

Roman designed the offense and called the plays. he preferred to run the ball but he also was in a situation in SF where he had an elite defense and Kaep/A Smith as his QB's. Lynn didn't have to call runs over passes. It's not in a contract he signed!

You're not going to try and spin this are you? Our passing attack was trash. I know it makes Tyrod look bad but he's a responsible party in that outcome.

I'm not spinning anything. Our passing game wasn't great and it wasn't good. But I don't know if you're being purposefully hyperbolic using the word "abysmal" or not.

Roman designed the offense and called the plays. he preferred to run the ball but he also was in a situation in SF where he had an elite defense and Kaep/A Smith as his QB's. Lynn didn't have to call runs over passes. It's not in a contract he signed!

Didn't look it up did ya?

I know more fully understand the motivation and mentality of the person I am talking with here.

I happen to be of the opinion that what we've seen the last 2 years is what we're going to get. He'll do a great job of protecting the ball, will throw some pretty deep balls and be a threat running with the ball. I don't expect him to carve up a defense or put a team on his back when needed. He's a solid stop gap. Nothing more unfortunately.

Seems to be a fair take.

The question though

What happens when you take that scenario and match it with a very good defense

That is what I want to find out

I'm not spinning anything. Our passing game wasn't great and it wasn't good. But I don't know if you're being purposefully hyperbolic using the word "abysmal" or not.

We were bottom third on the league in just about every major passing statistic. What else would you call that? The passing game was bad. Even really bad at times.

The question though

What happens when you take that scenario and match it with a very good defense

That is what I want to find out

Maybe we squeak into the playoffs.