Sal M: no QB in first.

JM2009

Once the ground game is taken away from us (defensively or by Shady getting older); and it will be - then what? When we are down, we don't have a passing attack to bring us back. It is a passing league now. I cannot understand the mentality of not drafting QBs or waiting until later rounds and hope someone will develop. I understand that some say if you miss it will set the franchise back x-number years; however, the franchise is already set back x-number of years because you don't have one and you don't draft them enough. This is a position that we don't address. If we drafted QBs every couple of years and they all missed; at least it isn't for the lack of trying and guess what - our overall record in that time period is not going to be that much different.

I know there are some that are worried we would become the Chargers. I would kill for Philip Rivers - they have a QB and wasted him because they can't draft other positions well and it is a shame since you can more easily find positions other than a franchise QB throughout all rounds of the draft....

How often was our "ground game taken away from us" last year?

Not much

How about a defense that can stop the the other team from scoring in that situation?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then take a QB in the 2nd

This is what happens when you draft to fill holes and not have an overall vision for a team. You have to be able to both pass and run the ball to win and both need to be sustainable over the course of the game, so when the D takes one away, you can keep the chains moving; that's what wins football games. TT has a deep ball and we can run the ball and that it is it. If the D can play deep zone and stop the run; you shut our offense down and the 3 and outs will commence. If the team identifies a QB prospect in the draft, you make damn sure you get him. It is too important to wait for the best value and miss out on him. Also that WR, CB, TE, LB, OT, S drafted in round 1 will barely make a difference in your overall record or your team.

John Murphy on WGR just now. Don't draft a QB top ten because it sends the message to the fans that you are not a contender this year.

:wallbash: The stupidity of this football team is only matched by its puppets.

Sawdust for brains. If Murphy is the talking head for OBD, no bueno.

you have to try to get the next derek carr..... you will not find him by sticking with tyrod

Of course not....cuz NFL rulebook says you have to cut your existing quarterback(s) before you can draft another one or sign one from another team....duh...

How often was our "ground game taken away from us" last year?

Not much

How about a defense that can stop the the other team from scoring in that situation?

The reality is that you can't expect to be playing with a lead every week so you can just pound the rock all day. We will be playing from behind and we will need to rely on the arm of the QB to move the ball and put up points. Tyrod has a horrific body of work in those scenarios. I absolutely agree that the defense needs to be better but it would also be nice to set the bar higher for Tyrod and expect things out of him that even rookies and scrubs can do. Edited by Bangarang

The reality is that you can't expect to be playing with a lead every week so you can just pound the rock all day. We will be playing from behind and we will need to rely on the arm of the QB to move the ball and put up points. Tyrod has a horrific body of work in those scenarios. I absolutely agree that the defense needs to be better but it would also be nice to set the bar higher for Tyrod and expect things out of him that even rookies and scrubs can do.

No he doesn't

Talk about exaggeration....

You guys :doh:

John Murphy on WGR just now. Don't draft a QB top ten because it sends the message to the fans that you are not a contender this year.

We aren't a contender this year, just like we haven't been a contender the last 20 years and won't be for the next 3 at least. There is a big difference between selling hope (that isn't going to happen) or having a vision to actually build a contender and executing it. This franchise sells hope and that is it....

We aren't a contender this year, just like we haven't been a contender the last 20 years and won't be for the next 3 at least. There is a big difference between selling hope (that isn't going to happen) or having a vision to actually build a contender and executing it. This franchise sells hope and that is it....

So let's not try to improve our team at the most important position in sports because it will make Russ Brandon's job harder.

No wonder this team is a mess.

IF this were even true then your missing the big picture

The identity of this team has been strong defense and look to improve the offense for years...that was the IDENTITY OF THE TEAM.....now that the defense has fallen off "both sides deserve their blame"

yes.....there are 3 facets of a football team.....offense, defense, and special teams.....but when one side of the ball improves by a ton....and nother side of the ball drops off by a ton......

Well?

Then take a QB in the 2nd

but we have not been improving the offense.... our offense leads the league in 3 and outs.... employs average at best qbs.... and refuses to focus on passing in a league that gives the passing teams every advantage

and i would take a really good offense with a drop off in defense..... raiders had a worse defense then us last year and won 12 games

but your final point I agree with..... if the draft board falls that way take a 2nd round qb.... but if there is a guy at 10 that our front office believes in they should take him

so...what i'm getting out of this is some people want to take a qb at 10 no matter what. even if there isn't one quite worthy of that spot, or there's a better projected player. i'm all for a new qb, but i certainly don't have it in my head that if it's not at 10, it's a failure.

john murphy is the biggest tool and homer

Of course not....cuz NFL rulebook says you have to cut your existing quarterback(s) before you can draft another one or sign one from another team....duh...

my post was misworded but that was not what i meant (that you have to cut tyrod)... I meant if you stick with tyrod as your starter an not legitimately try to improve the qb position like we have in the past with fitz, ej, and now so it seems tyrod

our front office always trys to win with what we have and will not take chances on qbs in the 1st-3rd rounds.... qbs taken later should not be expected to be anything but a backup (unless you win the lottery like dak or brady, but that is the exception to the rule)

so...what i'm getting out of this is some people want to take a qb at 10 no matter what. even if there isn't one quite worthy of that spot, or there's a better projected player. i'm all for a new qb, but i certainly don't have it in my head that if it's not at 10, it's a failure.

I don't think anyone has said that, most that want a QB just believe the ones most likely to succeed will be gone by our pick in round 2.

There's pretty much a few camps at this point, the guys who really like Trub / Mahomes or Watson and expect the ones they like to be gone at 44, the guys who like Nathan Peterman and want to take him round 3 and the Chad Kelly truthers. Just because someone falls into the first camp doesn't mean they are saying "Take a QB at 10 no matter who!"

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I think that is an exaggeration. Most, like myself, who advocate for qb think the importance of the position and the perceived limits of Taylor mean one should weight one's evaluation in favor of a qb with a reasonable probability of becoming a franchise qb. I'd prefer a "sure thing" player at another position of need over a "long shot" overdrafted qb. On the other hand, I would take a greater risk on a qb over a position player. It's a nuanced deliberation. I simply disagree with those who are convinced this is a weak qb class of long shots.

I'm fine with waiting until later to draft a QB I agree none of these guys are "can't miss" talent, where I disagree with Sal is " the last thing the Bills need is another whiff like 2013 first-rounder EJ Manuel" Trying and missing isn't bad. Just don't sit on that mistake, if they clearly miss this year take another shot next year. They need to find a QB above all else.

I don't think anyone has said that, most that want a QB just believe the ones most likely to succeed will be gone by our pick in round 2.

There's pretty much a few camps at this point, the guys who really like Trub / Mahomes or Watson and expect the ones they like to be gone at 44, the guys who like Nathan Peterman and want to take him round 3 and the Chad Kelly truthers. Just because someone falls into the first camp doesn't mean they are saying "Take a QB at 10 no matter who!"

wait until after the reactions if the bills don't pick a qb at 10, and then let see if some people don't feel that way. there's a number on here where it's qb at 10 or bust.

i do agree with everything else though. i can't imagine any of the qbs that the bills "like" will be lingering around long until round 2. i wouldn't be upset at all if the bills do pick qb at 10. i honestly don't even have a clue as to how this team views the qb class this year.

I think that is an exaggeration. Most, like myself, who advocate for qb think the importance of the position and the perceived limits of Taylor mean one should weight one's evaluation in favor of a qb with a reasonable probability of becoming a franchise qb. I'd prefer a "sure thing" player at another position of need over a "long shot" overdrafted qb. On the other hand, I would take a greater risk on a qb over a position player. It's a nuanced deliberation. I simply disagree with those who are convinced this is a weak qb class of long shots.

i would too. i'm always a bpa advocate, but you can't stick to that mold so strictly when it comes to qbs. i also don't think anyone who "demands" a qb at 10 is wrong. if the bills pick one there, i'll be excited. i appreciate taylor, but something is going to need to change in the near future.

john murphy is the biggest tool and homer

my post was misworded but that was not what i meant (that you have to cut tyrod)... I meant if you stick with tyrod as your starter an not legitimately try to improve the qb position like we have in the past with fitz, ej, and now so it seems tyrod

our front office always trys to win with what we have and will not take chances on qbs in the 1st-3rd rounds.... qbs taken later should not be expected to be anything but a backup (unless you win the lottery like dak or brady, but that is the exception to the rule)

McD's quote on restructuring Tyrod was that it was the 'Best move for the Bills at this time.'

And in the same interview he was asked:

Q: Does this preclude you pursuing a quarterback in the NFL Draft?

A: We’re going to look at every position, quarterback no different. We’re always looking to do what’s best for this football team and that’s what we’re doing. We’re building a team. As I mentioned before – last week – we’re going to look to create competition and depth at every position and this [position] is no different.