Sal M: no QB in first.

JM2009

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but we have not been improving the offense.... our offense leads the league in 3 and outs.... employs average at best qbs.... and refuses to focus on passing in a league that gives the passing teams every advantage

and i would take a really good offense with a drop off in defense..... raiders had a worse defense then us last year and won 12 games

but your final point I agree with..... if the draft board falls that way take a 2nd round qb.... but if there is a guy at 10 that our front office believes in they should take him

Covered this in another thread but:

Number of drives that went 3 and out

Jets 38

Bills 39

Patriots 43

Dolphins 53

Fewest in league was Atlanta = 24

Most in league was San Fran & Rams tie = 59

Bills did not have anywhere near as many 3 and outs as people assume they did in 2016.

Bills were ranked 12th for most yards per drive.

As a unit, Bills offense was no slouch in 2016

john murphy is the biggest tool and homer

my post was misworded but that was not what i meant (that you have to cut tyrod)... I meant if you stick with tyrod as your starter an not legitimately try to improve the qb position like we have in the past with fitz, ej, and now so it seems tyrod

our front office always trys to win with what we have and will not take chances on qbs in the 1st-3rd rounds.... qbs taken later should not be expected to be anything but a backup (unless you win the lottery like dak or brady, but that is the exception to the rule)

Except Tyrod is an upgrade from Fitz and from EJ.

So.....

Seems to me like the Bills are on the right track.

And I am sure they want to make sure the next QB is an upgrade to what is there now rather than just close their eyes throw a dart and hope. What is so hard to understand here?

Yeah, f@#$ those other dumb teams and their playoffs!

Rams and Eagles did not make the playoffs after trading up. Just saying, I think most are fearful we might end up with a Goff-type situation as to where their number one overall draft pick couldn't beat out Case Keenum :|

Rams and Eagles did not make the playoffs after trading up. Just saying, I think most are fearful we might end up with a Goff-type situation as to where their number one overall draft pick couldn't beat out Case Keenum :|

Rams and Eagles are going to be just fine. The Bills, however, are barely treading water. Our mantra right now is 'Wait till Brady retires and hope Garropolo isn't the second coming.'

Scared of drafting a QB in the first. Scared of success. Satisfied in 'the process'.

It's such a bore rooting for complacent mediocrity.

Give Taylor another chance I say before drafting a QB early. I know QB comes first, but Bills have plenty of need outside of QB that should be addressed before gambling on uncertain draft prospects..

Rams and Eagles are going to be just fine. The Bills, however, are barely treading water. Our mantra right now is 'Wait till Brady retires and hope Garropolo isn't the second coming.'

Scared of drafting a QB in the first. Scared of success. Satisfied in 'the process'.

This is a good point though.

And why do they rely on the run? Tyrod has had two different coordinators and neither had any desire to put the ball in Tyrod's hands as a passer. Roman talked about opening up the offense after 2015 and he got fired after 2 games in 2016. Lynn smartly simplified the offense and kept the ball out of Tyrod's hands as a passer. When Tyrod was forced to throw the ball in close games or in the 4th quarter we all saw the results. Not pretty.

if Dennison tries to pass the ball too much with Tyrod he will be the next out the door.

I disagree. Tyrod looked fantastic against Miami with the season on the line. Left the field with the lead. He progressed throughout the year and got better and better (maybe because Sammy got healthier and healthier?). But I really want to see his next year of development.

Yeah, f@#$ those other dumb teams and their playoffs!

'Going back to the merger in 1970, a trade into the top ten for a QB has happened twelve times. Two of those quarterbacks won a playoff game with the team that drafted them. Three have spent time in prison.'

Jets 38

Bills 39

Patriots 43

Dolphins 53

Bills did not have anywhere near as many 3 and outs as people assume they did in 2016.

So.....

And I am sure they want to make sure the next QB is an upgrade to what is there now rather than just close their eyes throw a dart and hope. What is so hard to understand here?

Fitz was given way too much time before they pulled the trigger on drafting qb.... EJ would have got the same treament but (we closed our eyes and threw a dart) with Baltimore's backup and he beat out 2 below average qbs for the job (cassell and ej)....heck there were fans arguing EJ should have been the starter in training camp when Tyrod clearly outplayed him.... I would not use that as an argument that the FO is on the right track with qb progression over a 9 year span

closing your eyes and throwing a dart would also be drafting qbs in later rounds.....

Edited by billz4life820

Are they though? Time will tell, I liked Wentz over Goff when coming out. That being said some people around here want someone that can bring us back and throw the ball around to win us the close games. The Eagles were 0-6 in games decided by 7 points or less, last season.

'Going back to the merger in 1970, a trade into the top ten for a QB has happened twelve times. Two of those quarterbacks won a playoff game with the team that drafted them. Three have spent time in prison.'

10% chance then, without adding Wentz into the mix.

You scared bruh?

Are they though? Time will tell, I liked Wentz over Goff when coming out. That being said some people around here want someone that can bring us back and throw the ball around to win us the close games. The Eagles were 0-6 in games decided by 7 points or less, last season.

Yeah so did I. So did the Bills, just not enough to pull the trigger.

Jets 38

Bills 39

Patriots 43

Dolphins 53

So.....

I feel like these stats don't tell the whole story. The 3 and outs as a whole didn't kill us. What killed us last year were the 3 and outs in CRITICAL situations. You can have 3 and outs in the first 3 quarters and be fine. But you simply cannot have them in the fourth when you're behind by a score and the game is on the line. We did that consistently.

So let's not try to improve our team at the most important position in sports because it will make Russ Brandon's job harder.

No wonder this team is a mess.

Look at all of our moves since TD - fill holes and put butts in seats. I hated TD, but at least he had a vision from a GM perspective and attempted to build a team; this is just rinse and repeat with the same crap results...

I feel like these stats don't tell the whole story. The 3 and outs as a whole didn't kill us. What killed us last year were the 3 and outs in CRITICAL situations. You can have 3 and outs in the first 3 quarters and be fine. But you simply cannot have them in the fourth when you're behind by a score and the game is on the line. We did that consistently.

Answer me this:

What difference does it make if you do it in the first quarter and the team scores a touchdown against you or if you do it in the fourth quarter and the other team scores the touchdown then?

I get the point you are trying to make. But in the end, the team with the most points wins. It doesn't matter when during the game the points were scored.

Some fans imagine it does because it seems like games are often close. Well, they wouldn't be close if you went 3 and out and gave up the points earlier in the game. So the timing really doesn't matter. Does it.

How would the story have changed if they played bad in the first quarter and great in the fourth quarter. You would have to call that first quarter a critical situation then. Or you would have to call the entire 2nd third and fourth quarters critical because the team would have been down the whole game. Would that then mean that the team played 3 good quarters in a critical situation? See how it works.

The most important drive of the game isn't the last drive, it is every drive.

If you want to have a dominant team, then every drive matters as much as the very last drive of the game.

Edited by PolishDave

Look at all of our moves since TD - fill holes and put butts in seats. I hated TD, but at least he had a vision from a GM perspective and attempted to build a team; this is just rinse and repeat with the same crap results...

A man from Texas just called into John Murphy and said if the Bills pass on Mahomes they are clueless.

Buy Pat from Texas a beer.

John Murphy just laughed and Donald Jones said take any random guy in the third.

If the Bills front office spent as much energy scouting QBs as John Murphy and Chris Brown do spinning almost 20 years of no playoffs we would have found a franchise QB a long time ago.

Because our offense is run run run and an occasional huge bomb (which TT is awesome at, but they again so was JP)....All day long I would be playing coverage to force the WRs running the deep routes to the outside and play 8 in the box. TT is not often going to hit a play in the middle accurately consistently. I know many people like to run away from his inaccuracy, but his ball placement stinks. I also would wager there is a reason why some of our WRs get hurt, bad ball placement leads to hits that leave you exposed...

A man from Texas just called into John Murphy and said if the Bills pass on Mahomes they are clueless.

John Murphy just laughed and Donald Jones said take any random guy in the third.

If the Bills front office spent as much energy scouting QBs as John Murphy and Chris Brown do spinning almost 20 years of no playoffs we would have found a franchise QB a long time ago.

By the time our pick in RD2 comes around I am going to guess that Mahomes, Trubisky and Watson are all gone. Most likely Kizer will be gone; not sure about Bye Felicia, it depends if he is BP QB left at the start of RD2.

We will find out Thursday how the teams are grading these QBs. I do put some faith in Gil Brandt who says you have 4 who have potential in this league. There are the QB needy teams and the teams who have the aging franchise guy. QB needy teams either have to draft these guys or if not, the teams in the later first will scoop them up. Davis, Howard, Williams, Foster, Hooket, Adams et al. will barely make dent in our overall record the way a potential Franchise QB will....

Note: I am not saying draft a guy who our scouts think will suck. Another poster said it here, if you feel the guy has the potential to be a franchise QB, don't be a fool and pass on him. There is a nuance to this..

Because our offense is run run run and an occasional huge bomb (which TT is awesome at, but they again so was JP)....All day long I would be playing coverage to force the WRs running the deep routes to the outside and play 8 in the box. TT is not often going to hit a play in the middle accurately consistently. I know many people like to run away from his inaccuracy, but his ball placement stinks. I also would wager there is a reason why some of our WRs get hurt, bad ball placement leads to hits that leave you exposed...

By the time our pick in RD2 comes around I am going to guess that Mahomes, Trubisky and Watson are all gone. Most likely Kizer will be gone; not sure about Bye Felicia, it depends if he is BP QB left at the start of RD2.

We will find out Thursday how the teams are grading these QBs. I do put some faith in Gil Brandt who says you have 4 who have potential in this league. There are the QB needy teams and the teams who have the aging franchise guy. QB needy teams either have to draft these guys or if not, the teams in the later first will scoop them up. Davis, Howard, Williams, Foster, Hooket, Adams et al. will barely make dent in our overall record the way a potential Franchise QB will....

Note: I am not saying draft a guy who our scouts think will suck. Another poster said it here, if you feel the guy has the potential to be a franchise QB, don't be a fool and pass on him. There is a nuance to this..

Now is the time when people start putting a megaphone next to their opinion I guess

So much wrong with your takes i dont even know where to begin but you have the right to them

10% chance then, without adding Wentz into the mix.

You scared bruh?

I don't get it. What would I be scared of? All I did was give you the success rate involved with trade-ups into the top 10. You claimed the dumb teams that traded up were in the playoffs, truth is only 2 have done it (Mark Sanchez and Mike Vick) since the merger. I eagerly await what Wentz will do with his upgraded weapons though. Should be an interesting year to watch for him. I don't have high expectations for Goff.

I'm waiting....

Amazing response.

lol. sorry but i work for a living.

right now work is extremely busy so i may get round to it and i may not. besides, you thought i gave an amazing response with my first one so i really didn't think a follow up was necessary.

this is kinda like telling someone to go sit in the corner in a round room. are you going to be alright?

Edited by Foxx

yeah, that man from texas he must be a real buckaroo. if pat from texas says so, it has to be true.