Polian says Andre Reed was the prototype for Slot Receiver

On NFLR, HoF Saturday, Andre was a call in guest. Polian was directed to go see this Tight End at Kutztown U (Andre). Said he for sure was the best player on the field and endorsed him as a pick. From his very 1st Bills practice session, he was the best Receiver on the team and Jerry Butler was our star WO. Chris Burkett was also drafted that year, but they had to get Andre in the line up in an era where there were only 2 WR's and a FB. Bill claimed Andre was part of the discussion with Jimbo that convinced him to stay with the Bills after the USFL folded. Paraphrasing, he said 'you're the last piece to this puzzle. We've assembled an offense tailor made for you to excel -with 3 WR's.' He -and we were at our best with Lofton (HoF) and Beebe and Andre on the field at the same time.

I just found it interesting, though I lived through the era, that this tough, smallish college TE with great RAC#'s would become the standard by which offenses developed into today's pass-happy game.

On NFLR, HoF Saturday, Andre was a call in guest. Polian was directed to go see this Tight End at Kutztown U (Andre). Said he for sure was the best player on the field and endorsed him as a pick. From his very 1st Bills practice session, he was the best Receiver on the team and Jerry Butler was our star WO. Chris Burkett was also drafted that year, but they had to get Andre in the line up in an era where there were only 2 WR's and a FB. Bill claimed Andre was part of the discussion with Jimbo that convinced him to stay with the Bills after the USFL folded. Paraphrasing, he said 'you're the last piece to this puzzle. We've assembled an offense tailor made for you to excel -with 3 WR's.' He -and we were at our best with Lofton (HoF) and Beebe and Andre on the field at the same time.

I just found it interesting, though I lived through the era, that this tough, smallish college TE with great RAC#'s would become the standard by which offenses developed into today's pass-happy game.

I found it interesting also, but I thought his comments about Kay Stephenson being one of the most important pieces resulting in the Super Bowl teams was shocking...Polian said he wanted to trade some of those picks for players to get good faster due to being worried about losing their jobs and Stephenson said Absolutely not...

I found it interesting also, but I thought his comments about Kay Stephenson being one of the most important pieces resulting in the Super Bowl teams was shocking...Polian said he wanted to trade some of those picks for players to get good faster due to being worried about losing their jobs and Stephenson said Absolutely not...

Yes! That was news to me as well. I feel different/better about Stephenson's tenure from this. What a haul! 2-1st, 2-2nds & 2-3rds!

That is the first time I ever heard that Reed was a TE in college. Wow

No doubt,

So this is where Reeds huge balls for playing the middle of the field originated.

allow me to second that Wow,

Learn something new everyday on TBD...

Almost positive Reed switched from highschool QB to WR in college, not TE.

I admit to being surprised myself, but Polian mentioned it a few times -including his conversation with Andre and no correction was offered. Could be that with Reed being head & shoulders above everyone else in that college division, they put him in a variety of positions to take advantage of mismatches he created..

I admit to being surprised myself, but Polian mentioned it a few times -including his conversation with Andre and no correction was offered. Could be that with Reed being head & shoulders above everyone else in that college division, they put him in a variety of positions to take advantage of mismatches he created..

Don't know about any of the above. Except he was money up the middle. He took punishing hits

got up and ran back too the huddle. Hard to see 4 SB's without him. Hard to see winning the comeback

game without him.

Edited by Best Player Available

My thoughts also Chandler#81

http://www.kubears.com/news/2014/2/1/fb_0201141802.aspx

His university props called him a wide receiver.

Don't know about any of the above. Except he was money up the middle. He took punishing hits
got up and ran back too the huddle. Hard to see 4 SB's without him. Hard to see winning the comeback
game without him.

Giants hammered him the first half. They see it as he wasn't interested in catching much in the 2nd half...

Edited by row_33

ancient history