Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

Was a guest on Schopp and the Bulldog, aka, Dope and the Lapdog today that claims if there is one team that will trade up to get a QB like the Eagles did last year it will be the Bills for Trubisky...

Claims all the info he has gotten points to Bills being all in on Trubisky...says it depends on what the first few teams do and if the Bills can offer enough to do it...says if he lasts to Tennessee at 5 he believes the Bills will do it...

What guest ?

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one thing you trade up for if you're giving up a first-round pick or more, and that's a potential franchise QB. You don't for a WR. You do for a QB.

But it's got to be the right one.

And it's hard to be sure.

My guess is they don't trade up and don't go QB in the first, but it would be only the mildest surprise. I won't be against it if it happens.

Eli worked out pretty well for the Giants in a tradeup.

It's about the guy, not how they got him.

If they have to trade up to get their guy, then do it. But he'd better be the right guy.

As I said in my original post, I don't consider Eli a trade up. The Chargers picked him 1st overall and the Giants drafted Rivers 4th overall, then they were traded for each other afterwards. So that's a draft day trade IMO, not technically a trade up.

Plus, that trade never happens if Eli doesn't absolutely refuse to play for SD (he said after he was drafted that he was planning to pursue a career in Law instead of football) and it also doesn't happen if the Giants didn't have Philip Rivers to trade to San Diego. So that's a pretty unique scenario, and one that isn't likely to be repeated.

Edited by BillsFan4

This would be horrendous. I would probably vomit. As many holes as we have we are not one Mitchell Trubisky away from "earning the right to win" or becoming a "playoff caliber" team. This would set us back two or 3 years at least.

As I said in my original post, I don't consider Eli a trade up. The Chargers picked him 1st overall and the Giants drafted Rivers 4th overall, then they were traded for each other afterwards. So that's a draft day trade IMO, not technically a trade up.

Plus, that trade never happens if Eli doesn't absolutely refuse to play for SD (he said after he was drafted that he was planning to pursue a career in Law instead of football) and it also doesn't happen if the Giants didn't have Philip Rivers to trade to San Diego. So that's a pretty unique scenario, and one that isn't likely to be repeated.

"Technically" doesn't matter. I mean you're right, but it's beside the point. Even if it's not technically a tradeup, that's in fact what it is. And why it happened is also entirely beside the point. It happened.

What matters is not how you get the guy. It simply isn't. It's who the guy you get is.

If you're really concerned, then here's what the Bills should do, they should make a trade with whatever team picks Trubisky ahead of them, they should draft the guy that team wants and give him some extra picks the way the Giants did. That way everything will be totally different and the trade that would have been a disaster will work out. Or it wouldn't make the slightest difference. I'm on choice B there.

Wentz looks so far like he's going to make the Eagles look very smart for trading up.

The Bills considered trading up above Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger. The price asked, we are told, was considered too expensive. Looking back that is one of the worst non-trades of all time. They should have done it, and being traded up for wouldn't magically have resulted in Roethlisberger becoming worse.

Haven't a clue whether they should try for Trubisky but if they do, past draft history won't have the slightest affect on the outcome.

Edited by Thurman#1

Can you summarize what they said ?

Perfect guy to sit behind our bridge for a bit ?

Thinks Bills want Trubisky more than any other team and might trade up.

I can see reasoning to take him at 10, but trading up shouldn't be what they're thinking at OBD.

The people making fun of the Browns need some humility. This draft is LOADED with talent and the Browns have a million picks. They could pass the Bills this year if we mess up this draft and they hit on guys.

They need to start using those picks better though and that is legitimate worry. Their draft last year did not impress me.

i will ask this question though. if they do trade up to say...5..and gave up next year's 1st...could they gain an extra pick or two this year? if that's the case and given the amount of talent and depth at positions of need this year, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

it wouldn't seem to me that trading up 5 spots would be worth a future 1st rounder. i know, the sammy deal, but that was stupid and a whole other matter.

i don't think the jets will take a qb at 6. i'm also not worried about the browns trading up. i think that given their qb situation, if they draft a qb round one it has to be a day one starter and while i wouldn't take watson, i think he's the only one capable of being a day one starter and they can probably get him at 12.

we can take trubisky at 10 and can afford to let him sit a year. i think tyrod will get us a good trade deal next year.....unless he gets us into the playoffs.

Edited by billsredneck1

"Technically" doesn't matter. I mean you're right, but it's beside the point. Even if it's not technically a tradeup, that's in fact what it is. And why it happened is also entirely beside the point. It happened.

What matters is not how you get the guy. It simply isn't. It's who the guy you get is.

If you're really concerned, then here's what the Bills should do, they should make a trade with whatever team picks Trubisky ahead of them, they should draft the guy that team wants and give him some extra picks the way the Giants did. That way everything will be totally different and the trade that would have been a disaster will work out. Or it wouldn't make the slightest difference. I'm on choice B there.

Wentz looks so far like he's going to make the Eagles look very smart for trading up.

The Bills considered trading up above Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger. The price asked, we are told, was considered too expensive. Looking back that is one of the worst non-trades of all time. They should have done it, and being traded up for wouldn't magically have resulted in Roethlisberger becoming worse.

Haven't a clue whether they should try for Trubisky but if they do, past draft history won't have the slightest affect on the outcome.

I think the circumstances of that trade have to be taken into account. I don't think it's beside the point at all.

Eli saying after he was picked that he would literally quit playing football and go into a career in Law is the reason the trade happened.

The Chargers had no choice. Period. That matters. If they had a choice, they keep Eli and that trade doesn't happen at all.

Eli was looked at as a can't miss, only comes along very rarely type of QB before the draft. The Chargers wanted him badly, which is why they drafted him even though he had been saying for months that he wouldn't play for them even if they drafted him.

If Trubisky was looked at as anywhere even close to an Eli Manning level prospect, he'd go 1st overall and there'd be no talk of the Browns trading that pick or passing up on drafting him.

As far as the Eagles - again, as I said in my original post, time will tell. We have to wait and see.

Wentz looked good for a few games, and then struggled pretty badly for much of the rest of the season. And Goff looked absolutely horrible. They both have a Long way to go yet to ever be worth the price.

Edited by BillsFan4