why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

Aside from perhaps Trubisky [and he's no sure thing] these are all project QB's in the draft.

We've already got one on the roster, Cardale Jones, who people say has a huge ceiling, and who looked like what you'd expect in his one quarter of play in late '16: a confident athlete with a monster arm but raw. I'm not saying he's going to be a great one, but why do many people [including the media] with no access his work on the practice field or classroom write him off already in favor of another raw QB?

There's only so many snaps at practice and so much time the QB coach can give these players...why add another raw rookie?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from perhaps Trubisky [and he's no sure thing] these are all project QB's in the draft.

We've already got one on the roster, Cardale Jones, who people say has a huge ceiling, and who looked like what you'd expect in his one quarter of play in late '16: a confident athlete with a monster arm but raw. I'm not saying he's going to be a great one, but why do many people [including the media] with no access his work on the practice field or classroom write him off already in favor of another raw QB?

There's only so many snaps at practice and so much time the QB coach can give these players...why add another raw rookie?

If you honestly think that Cardale Jones is equal to a Patrick Mahomes or Mitchell Trubisky as a prospect then you are welcome to continue with that opinion.

That would be like saying don't draft OJ Howard because we have Logan Thomas on the practice squad.

Uh, because Cardale Jones is a terrible QB with no chance of NFL success.

Based on what exactly?

I love the consistency of opinions. We want the Bills to take flyers on project players based on their upside. Then we are done with them when they don't make rookie of the year.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Based on what exactly?

I would agree he is currently terrible. That's based on the last time we saw him where he was throwing 100 MPH fastballs at guys 5 yards away from him.

Let's see if he makes the team this year before declaring he is anything more than that.

Based on his college performance, pre-season performance, and week 17 performance. He has horrendous accuracy. Watch his so-called "great" games at OSU. WRs making tremendous plays on underthrown balls all over the place. He never hits anyone in stride. He underthrows guys open by 5 yards so much that the WR has to make a great catch over the DB who was able to catch up to them. The only reason they had any success was because teams were stacking the box vs Elliot and WRs made tremendous plays. There is a reason he lost his starting job.

Edited by Mark80

Based on his college performance, pre-season performance, and week 17 performance. He has horrendous accuracy. Watch his so-called "great" games at OSU. WRs making tremendous plays on underthrown balls all over the place. He never hits anyone in stride. He underthrows guys open by 5 yards so much that the WR has to make a great catch over the DB who was able to catch up to them. The only reason they had any success was because teams were stacking the box vs Elliot.

He won a national championship.

I don't really understand this argument.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

Doesn't it give you a better chance of winning if you collect as much young talent as possible? Who cares that Cardale isn't ready yet ... that's irrelevant. If you see a good young QB at #10 that you think could be significantly better than Cardale (most quarterbacks) you take him.

He won a national championship.

Do you really believe that if the organization was high on Cardale's prospects they would be putting so much effort and resources in scouting this year's qb prospects? The organization has seen him up close on the practice field and in the classroom for a year. At this point they know him fairly well as a player and person. Based on how they seem to be aggressively assessing qb prospects it appears that they are not going to solely count on him. That is not to say they are giving up on him but they are not placing their bets on him. That to me seems like a prudent approach to take.

I don't really understand this argument.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

Doesn't it give you a better chance of winning if you collect as much young talent as possible? Who cares that Cardale isn't ready yet ... that's irrelevant. If you see a good young QB at #10 that you think could be significantly better than Cardale (most quarterbacks) you take him.

Drafting another QB may not be mutually exclusive, except for the fact that there's only so much room on the roster, so much coaching time, so many snaps ...

Few QBs at top colleges work toward an NFL career, they are usually running tinker-toy options which are nothing more than running up the score over a grossly overmatched cupcake opponent.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Jeff is right. Saying the top QB talent in this draft is as raw as Cardale is or was last year is just ridiculous.

Everybody says "It's not a great QB draft as if every year is either 2013 or 1983 with no in between. This year has no clear cut, sure fire 1st rounders, but there are several QB's with potential to be very good or great. It is not a "bad" QB draft. Everyone one said 2014 was a bad QB draft, so we traded up for a WR, then Bridewater went in the late first and Carr in the early 2nd. There are probably a couple QB's in this draft that will make going to do very well in the NFL.

We could be like the Jets and waste a draft pick every year on a Shidty QB. makes sense.

Unlike the Jest, I advocate trying to draft a non-Shidty QB prospect. After all, what is the other option? To not even try? That would be idiotic.

Jones is a project who may or may not work out. The guys people are looking at this draft project as more able to succeed. Of course, that flies in the face of the data showing how so many first round QB picks don't pan out. But this all assumes some kind of rational thought process behind this.

Uh, because Cardale Jones is a terrible QB with no chance of NFL success.

I think he has a shot to be a backup at best, most likely trade bait for some team looking for a backup. Not franchise QB worth.

In my opinion Whaley drafted him because he was all that was left and Whaley didn't want to look like he wasn't trying to get better at QB, sadly for Whaley his QB purgatory lives on with no franchise worthy QB on the roster and a overpaid starter not good enough to be the future of the franchise. Whaley again gives his staffs QBs not good enough which in turn will get this staff in the hot seat when fans see first hand it's not the coaching of these QB it's the lack of talent they have to get the job done. Without better talent at QB their is nothing to look forward to on this team for the future it's fate is written.

Someday we will get a new GM that will be hired that will notice QB is the problem and actually fix it unlike Whaley who called out the problem when hired and then years of staffs later have us in the same exact position because he did nothing but bring in other teams backups and garbage drafted.