Buffalo News sports department is a joke

bbb

I'm not mis reporting anything.

You said "Sully's article is totally refuted by Vic's." I asked for you to give both of the quotes, Sully's and the one by Vic that totally refutes it.

If you're not misreporting, it should have been easy to do so. And yet you didn't. So, let me ask again, if you're not misreporting this total refutation you mentioned, what are the specific quotes?

and when you click on their links.....you are supporting their continuation.

The News doesn't care if you click. Most newspapers and certainly the News are no longer making money by trying to get clicks. If they were, they wouldn't limit people to ten articles per month.

They make their money by people enjoying their stuff and subscribing.

There are plenty of sites on the net that work by a clickbait model. The News simply isn't one of them.

I have a problem when a guy like Bucky completely reneges on his previous opinion about the tanking issue. and I have a problem with Sullivan taking a cheap shot at Pegula (nice of him to show up, to paraphrase him) just because the owner called Jerry out about one column when he first bought the Sabres.

Criticism is justified. No problem with that. But some consistency would be nice (See:Bucky) and writing without resorting to amateurish cheap shots (see: Sullivan) would be welcome. And each of these guys can do so: some of their columns are quite good. But they resort to this kind ofjunk with the Bills and Sabres far too often. They should go back and read guys like Felser and Peters and such and see how they were able to becritical while maintaining a higher level of professionalism.

For those of you who weren't on the old BBMB, Thurman is very pro reporter

OldManFan, you might want to address the formatting of that post to make clear what words are yours and what are mine.

And I've been on this site longer than I was on the BBMB. They most likely understand me as well as they care to and probably better than you appear to.

I'm not pro-reporter, I'm pro good journalism. There's plenty of crappy reporting out there. There's also plenty of good reporting, and the News is generally quite good.

As for consistency, it makes sense sometimes and not others. When new info comes in, sometimes it makes sense to change your opinion. Emerson said it best. And while it makes total sense to disagree with plenty of these guys opinions, Sully doesn't give a damn that Pegula said something bad about him years ago. Sully has said good and bad things about Pegula depending on what he's doing. Whatever else you wanna say about Sully, he's not real sensitive. He clearly doesn't care if he's insulted.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thurman, if you are pro good journalism then you should be seeing the issues with these columns. And Sullivan clearly has had it in for Pegula since Terry challenged him on a column he wrote when he first hit town. why take the cheap shot about it being nice for Terry to show up? There is no journalistic reason to do so.

You think Bucky makes sense when he says fans hoping we lost for Jack Eichel was delusional?

No more delusional than those who post on this board year after year thinking this team has turned a corner and going to the playoffs. You can vent all you want about the BN and its writers but .they have not consistently blown drafts, selected lousy head coaches, and mismanaged salaries, Does 1999 sound familiar?

I don't read any of it.

I have my opinion of the team based on what I see and that's that.

That said, it's hard not to criticize anything Bills/Sabres related. They have been so irrelevant and inept the past 10 years or so.... not sure why people get all pissed when the local writers criticize them for sucking. And If you don't like it, don't read it.

Nailed it.

Actually if you're that ticked off at these guys, the thing to do would be to contact advertisers for the News and tell them you refuse to buy their products. I don't think anyone is that upset though. I read their stuff, some of it's good and some not.

I USED TO DELIVER THE BUFFALO NEW WHEN I WAS A TEEN, i read it everyday for 40 years now i would not waste a dime on it.,, as for sullivan he is still the hack writer that got fired in NYC .he just thinks hes better than the people here like he has some insight no one else has. personally i think he is a moron..

I don't read any of it.

I have my opinion of the team based on what I see and that's that.

That said, it's hard not to criticize anything Bills/Sabres related. They have been so irrelevant and inept the past 10 years or so.... not sure why people get all pissed when the local writers criticize them for sucking. And If you don't like it, don't read it.

Which is why I don't. Thurman said earlier that Sully doesn't care if you insult him. I know that. In fact he probably loves it. The worst insult you can give Jerry Sullivan is ignoring him. Same goes for the rest of his crappy paper. If you are pro-good journalism then you can't possibly enjoy the Buffalo News sports section.

I absolutely refuse to even click on any article written by Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason. It's my way of protesting the them. I refuse to give them the hits.

I can not stand their attitude, writing styles and constant negativity. No matter what it is, you can count on one of them to find a way to look at it in the worst possible way.

+1

Mike Schopp on WGR550 is just as bad as these two clowns.

Which is why I don't. Thurman said earlier that Sully doesn't care if you insult him. I know that. In fact he probably loves it. The worst insult you can give Jerry Sullivan is ignoring him. Same goes for the rest of his crappy paper. If you are pro-good journalism then you can't possibly enjoy the Buffalo News sports section.

List all of the hometown newspaper sports sections that do not criticize the poorly run/owned/performing teams in their town....

List all of the hometown newspaper sports sections that do not criticize the poorly run/owned/performing teams in their town....

There are none. But most can do so without resorting to cheap shots and can be at least somewhat consistent in their critiques. I live in Indy and Bob Kravitz is very tough on the Colts and Pacers. But he doesn't resort to the cheap shots like Sullivan does and he will admit when he changes his stance and explains why, unlike Bucky. Oh, and when he's wrong he'll admit it. Bucky has yet to indicate he was wrong about the McCoy bar incident when he demanded he be released the day after the incident, assuming McCoy's guilt.