Buffalo News sports department is a joke

bbb

So, this is what my sports page looked like tonight as I read it. In the middle is Bucky being the usual hypocrite that he is - mocking out the Sabres fans who were rooting for the tank - two years after he called for the Sabres to tank...............But, I will post the links to Sully's "power take" on the left - where he does his usual hatchet job on the Pegulas - about Tyrod, scouting QBs, how the Browns are going to pick a QB instead of Garrett, etc...........And, then Vic's power take on the right - is all about how every team sends out smoke signals this time of year. The Bills are bluffing, the Browns are bluffing, etc. Totally contradicting Sully's take the Pegulas and Bills are dysfunctional clowns:

QfA3rcp.gif

Actually, I see you can read it just with the picture, but I'll post the links anyway:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/12/jerry-sullivans-power-take-thought-bad-qb-class/

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/12/vic-caruccis-power-take-beware-nfl-smoke-clouds/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it became pathetic a while ago. i used to subscribe the the Bnews when i lived out of town just to read the sports section, now i hardly ever read them at all anymore

today i made the mistake of starting to read the two articles you mentioned by sully and bucky. didnt make it more than a few paragraphs in before i gave up. what a couple pieces of garbage, the articles and their authors. idk how bucky can sit there with a straight face when he claims the tank somehow contributed to the sabres disappointing season. wtf does the one have to do with the other? and i should have known better than to read a sully article at all. he publishes like two good columns per year, the rest are most useful for lining bird cages or sopping up urine spills

we are full swing into the age of click-based journalism. that means garbage reigns and those two are junk dealers. vic isnt much better either

When I first realized Santa Claus was not real, it was shocking. I was outraged. Then I quickly learned to ignore anything about that brummy old man.

I guess I never realized how similar Santa and Sully are.

I used to be angry at Sully, now I just let him be the town drunk. Nobody even listens to his incoherent rumblings anymore.

Yup, Sully = Santa = Drunk Bum, except I'll throw the bum a few bucks now and then.

It all looks fine to me.

I don't agree with all of it, but it all makes sense.

You really have a problem with a reporter saying bad things about an owner whose two sports teams went or are going 33-37 and 7-9? A guy with Terry Pegula's ratio of wining seasons to losing seasons? Well, to each their own, I guess.

Edited by Thurman#1

It all looks fine to me.

You really have a problem with a reporter saying bad things about an owner whose two sports teams went or are going 33-37 and 7-9? Well, to each their own, I guess.

You think Bucky makes sense when he says fans hoping we lost for Jack Eichel was delusional?

I think Jerry Sullivan's amazing feat is to have made a long career as a lead sportswriter while having below average intelligence.

His piece there makes no sense.

They are looking at quarterbacks, because they run a football team. So you do that. And they also need one, or will someday.

It isn't like they are looking at horses Jerry. That would be weird since they don't race horses.

But looking at quarterbacks when you run a football team, is to be expected Jerry.

I absolutely refuse to even click on any article written by Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason. It's my way of protesting the them. I refuse to give them the hits.

I can not stand their attitude, writing styles and constant negativity. No matter what it is, you can count on one of them to find a way to look at it in the worst possible way.

It all looks fine to me.

You really have a problem with a reporter saying bad things about an owner whose two sports teams went or are going 33-37 and 7-9? A guy with Terry Pegula's ratio of wining seasons to losing seasons? Well, to each their own, I guess.

How can it all look fine to you? Sully's article is totally refuted by Vic's.

I don't think you read either one.

When I first realized Santa Claus was not real, it was shocking. I was outraged. Then I quickly learned to ignore anything about that brummy old man.

I guess I never realized how similar Santa and Sully are.

I used to be angry at Sully, now I just let him be the town drunk. Nobody even listens to his incoherent rumblings anymore.

Yup, Sully = Santa = Drunk Bum, except I'll throw the bum a few bucks now and then.

I've actually started taking the same approach. I used to read every column in the sports page. Now, if it's Sully, and usually Bucky, I just skip it and know I've missed nothing.

Last week, there was an article about the UFC in Buffalo that for some reason I thought was written by Sully. Since it wasn't going to be Bills and Sabres bashing, I read it. After I got halfway through on the 2nd page, I said this doesn't sound like Sully. I flipped back and it was actually written by Tim Graham. I had to start over and read it like it wasn't written by a drunken clown..........It was then that I realized that Tim Graham is a much better writer than I was giving him credit for because of his twitter bullcrap.

they have been a joke for a long time. Jerry's take on the Pelgua is disgusting. Without them there would be no need for a sports department. The reporters are lazy and inept . Tyler Dunne was a breathe of fresh air during his brief stop other then that it is a dumpster fire

I just knew Tyler Dunne was not going to be around long. He was too good...........Mark Gaughan is also very good.

You think Bucky makes sense when he says fans hoping we lost for Jack Eichel was delusional?

If he'd said that, you'd really have a point. But he, you know, didn't.

What generally happens here is happening again. The guys who don't like the reporters mis-report what was actually said, twist the words and then hold up their own words for ridicule, the classic straw man argument..

Quote Bucky directly. What did he say that was so unreasonable?

How can it all look fine to you? Sully's article is totally refuted by Vic's.

I don't think you read either one.

I read both. Looks to me like two guys whose opinions mildly disagree. I don't see any factual refutation anywhere.

Don't see it. Not even close. What exact words does Sully say, and which of Vic's exact words refute them?

I think Jerry Sullivan's amazing feat is to have made a long career as a lead sportswriter while having below average intelligence.

His piece there makes no sense.

They are looking at quarterbacks, because they run a football team. So you do that. And they also need one, or will someday.

It isn't like they are looking at horses Jerry. That would be weird since they don't race horses.

But looking at quarterbacks when you run a football team, is to be expected Jerry.

So, you think that Jerry said that teams shouldn't look at QBs? Or shouldn't have looked at these QBs?

He didn't say that.

Edited by Thurman#1

and when you click on their links.....you are supporting their continuation.

Then just read the picture I made.

If he'd said that, you'd really have a point. But he, you know, didn't.

What generally happens here is happening again. The guys who don't like the reporters mis-report what was actually said, twist the words and then hold up their own words for ridicule, the classic straw man argument..

Quote Bucky directly. What did he say that was so unreasonable?

I read both. Looks to me like two guys whose opinions mildly disagree. I don't see any factual refutation anywhere.

Don't see it. Not even close. What exact words does Sully say, and which of Vic's exact words refute them?

So, you think that Jerry said that teams shouldn't look at QBs? Or shouldn't have looked at these QBs?

He didn't say that.

I'm not mis reporting anything.

Here's a happy story - I came to this board because I got sooooooo FED UP reading BS on BS (Buffalonews Sports) about Bills. It's the worst sports coverage anywhere. I DON'T READ THEM ANYMORE. You guys tell me what's up with Bills before NEWS gets it. Thanks and keep up the good work! xD

[/

It all looks fine to me.

quote]

I have a problem when a guy like Bucky completely reneges on his previous opinion about the tanking issue. and I have a problem with Sullivan taking a cheap shot at Pegula (nice of him to show up, to paraphrase him) just because the owner called Jerry out about one column when he first bought the Sabres.

Criticism is justified. No problem with that. But some consistency would be nice (See:Bucky) and writing without resorting to amateurish cheap shots (see: Sullivan) would be welcome. And each of these guys can do so: some of their columns are quite good. But they resort to this kind ofjunk with the Bills and Sabres far too often. They should go back and read guys like Felser and Peters and such and see how they were able to becritical while maintaining a higher level of professionalism.

For those of you who weren't on the old BBMB, Thurman is very pro reporter.