no offensive line talk....

has everyone forgotten the rt? ...or oline overall?...or as it relates to the draft?

in one of my draft fantasies, i'd like to see a trade down twice.

once to cleveland for their 4th...and whatever else we might be able to get and then...

to washington who badly needs a new receiving core and has picks....for a 3rd and a 4th?

we get the richie incognito of rts with garrett bolles. big nasty day one starter.

i would even hope to think about maybe one of the top 3 centers with one of the extra picks.

it doesn't matter who we bring in or draft at all the other positions. we are an injury or two away from suck up front....or we can have the foundation of a great line for some time to come. don't forget the oline dougie!

Edited by billsredneck1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, our run game was pretty good last year. The left side is pretty damn solid. Wood should be 100%. Miller should continue to improve. And, idk, I feel like Mills improved, as well. Am I wrong? I'm not saying the O-line should be ignored-- we've seen the folly in that over the years!

But, with Tyrod backing out of the pocket on every snap, and with our issues at so many other positions... yeah, not the top concern...

OL is just down the list. Mills improved some and the rest of the line is fine. The brought back Groy and brought in Ducasse. They probably, already, have an NFL quality OL that won't make the team. If they take any (which I am doubting) it will be a tackle late.

I think we need a new right tackle but I don't think it's coming this off-season. Perhaps a late round pick to compete.

Too many larger needs. We need starters at WR, WILL, CB and safety. Depth is a huge issue in the back 7 as well.

While Mills isn't very good, I think he'll have to do for now. Maybe CuJo can make progress this off-season to playing on the right. Last tackle roster spot's probably a competition from a late pick or UDFA and cheap UFAs. I would think Henderson gets cut.

Not ideal but could be worse.

OL is just down the list. Mills improved some and the rest of the line is fine. The brought back Groy and brought in Ducasse. They probably, already, have an NFL quality OL that won't make the team. If they take any (which I am doubting) it will be a tackle late.

Yup.

To the OP-- every position group is at best an injury or two away from disaster... but a couple dont even have that benefit at the moment.

I think we need a new right tackle but I don't think it's coming this off-season. Perhaps a late round pick to compete.

Too many larger needs. We need starters at WR, WILL, CB and safety. Depth is a huge issue in the back 7 as well.

While Mills isn't very good, I think he'll have to do for now. Maybe CuJo can make progress this off-season to playing on the right. Last tackle roster spot's probably a competition from a late pick or UDFA and cheap UFAs. I would think Henderson gets cut.

Not ideal but could be worse.

Hmmm I'm seeing a trend over the past 17 years. WR, OLB, CBs last about 3 years. Always rotating them out.

Good linemen last decades. If QB isn't there, build the best line in the league. WR, OLBs and CBs in the NFL are a dime a dozen. And the best at those positions are vets who just end up getting the calls. The penalties, and the first down droughts make our line one of the worse.

#1 - last years team , the RT (mills) was the weakest starter on the team....followed by #2WR & Safety

#2- if the season started today, as the team is currently structured.....#1 CB(??) is the weakest starter

#3- this team has more "needs" than it can fill with quality....#1CB, #1RT, #2WR & QB of the future(if you don't believe in TT).

It just feels to me like Whaley's game plan is to reasonably fill all the needs in free agency....so that he can use #10 on the QB of the future.

Edited by papazoid

#1 - last years team , the RT (mills) was the weakest starter on the team....followed by #2WR & Safety

#2- if the season started today, as the team is currently structured.....#1 CB(??) is the weakest starter

#3- this team has more "needs" than it can fill with quality....#1CB, #1RT, #2WR & QB of the future(if you don't believe in TT).

It just feels to me like Whaley's game plan is to reasonably fill all the needs in free agency....so that he can use #10 on the QB of the future.

NO QB @ 10

Wishing don't make it so - if it did EJ would be our guy. This is not the draft to bet the farm on a QB.

All that said, I do believe we will draft a QB, but more like rd 3 if there is anyone interesting still there.

imho

Hmmm I'm seeing a trend over the past 17 years. WR, OLB, CBs last about 3 years. Always rotating them out.

Good linemen last decades. If QB isn't there, build the best line in the league. WR, OLBs and CBs in the NFL are a dime a dozen. And the best at those positions are vets who just end up getting the calls. The penalties, and the first down droughts make our line one of the worse.

WRs and CBS are a dime a dozen? Is that why guys like AJ Bouye--who has never been a starting corner, get as much as franchise LTs on the open market, and WRs easily get more than LTs?

Is there any data to back up the idea that OLmen have longevity where other positions don't?

WRs and CBS are a dime a dozen? Is that why guys like AJ Bouye--who has never been a starting corner, get as much as franchise LTs on the open market, and WRs easily get more than LTs?

Is there any data to back up the idea that OLmen have longevity where other positions don't?

That comes from teams believing they need that one missing piece. With Jax, it's a make or break year for Bortles.

Legion of boom lasted 3 years before Maxwell was traded. Rodgers good group of 5 WRs lasted 2 years, and then were gone. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other group of WRs or CBs that a NFL team builds around and wins. At that position, it's 1 break out year, 2-3 re-living the glory days, then FAs where there are more busts than success stories.

Cowboys Oline got immediate impact when they started building it, and won games for 3 years, and now entering their prime. Raiders did the same. Oline is needed before the QB. It wins games and has longevity and only needs time and coaching to build. It's a move that makes sense for the Bills. Taylor has flaws with his game that are not going to be fixed in a year. With OLB, WR or CB the Bills are just a farm club for the rest of the league, and in a few years we have nothing.

That comes from teams believing they need that one missing piece. With Jax, it's a make or break year for Bortles.

Legion of boom lasted 3 years before Maxwell was traded. Rodgers good group of 5 WRs lasted 2 years, and then were gone. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other group of WRs or CBs that a NFL team builds around and wins. At that position, it's 1 break out year, 2-3 re-living the glory days, then FAs where there are more busts than success stories.

Cowboys Oline got immediate impact when they started building it, and won games for 3 years, and now entering their prime. Raiders did the same. Oline is needed before the QB. It wins games and has longevity and only needs time and coaching to build. It's a move that makes sense for the Bills. Taylor has flaws with his game that are not going to be fixed in a year. With OLB, WR or CB the Bills are just a farm club for the rest of the league, and in a few years we have nothing.

It doesn't come from that at all.

The simple fact is that skill position players get more money because they have greater value.

That Buffalo put together the best rushing attack in the NFL for 2 consecutive years with a line comprised of 2 street FAs, a mid round pick, a 2nd round LT, and a first rounder at center is a testament to what can be done scheme-wise.

Teams that prioritize OL are few and far between, and as we saw in the playoffs, they'll always lose to the teams that have a franchise QB.

Anyway, to the topic at hand: yes, the team could use an upgrade at RT, but investing heavily in a position that is routinely filled by late round picks seems like a terrible idea.

Case-in-point: the RTs that teams threw huge money at in FA were guys like Remmers and Wagner--late round picks.

It's the same debate every year. The answer is not to swing and miss on your first two picks no matter what the position. And if you can hit on three out of your top four even better. So which roster spot comes first? It makes little difference in the long run.

I maintain that the Bills are suffering from a systemic problem of the revolving door. They've drafted countless Corners just to see them walk away after their rookie deal. This has to stop! And winning solves everything.

It's the same debate every year. The answer is not to swing and miss on your first two picks no matter what the position. And if you can hit on three out of your top four even better. So which roster spot comes first? It makes little difference in the long run.

I maintain that the Bills are suffering from a systemic problem of the revolving door. They've drafted countless Corners just to see them walk away after their rookie deal. This has to stop! And winning solves everything.

Exactly

Stock the roster with great players and worry about everything else later

Exactly

Stock the roster with great players and worry about everything else later

I was just thinking about it and that's what always happens with the teams picking late in the 1st. They can afford to target specific positions because their rosters don't have a ton of available spots. Then you look at the Browns (to take an extreme example) and they can almost take BPA throughout the draft.

I think that the Bills are sort of in between. The level of talent has regressed a little this year but they still have some. They shouldn't go OL, RB or probably DL (outside of great value). They have starting needs at DB, WR and LB.

Edited by Kirby Jackson