Davis Webb Q.B. Cal

lol please name any good Air Raid QBs in the NFL?

Just because a team uses shotgun doesn't mean Spread QBs will do well. The reason spread QBs suck is because they don't have to go through progressions nor understand defenses in college and then when they come into the NFL they get overwhelmed and lose confidence and then discarded.

So you wouldn't draft Marcus Mariotta or Dak Prescott? If we followed your rules we could only wait for Andrew Luck (and we never draft top 2) or run a Peterman or a Chad Henne out there.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about Air Raid. I was told Goff would be a bust but it had nothing to do with playing in a spread offense. Air Raid is just a spread offense. There is nothing about it that prevents a prospect anymore than another spread offense. Air Raid's poor record has to do with they had few talented QB prospects playing in it.

The notion that a rookie qb can be written off is short-sighted. Goff was drafted with the intention that he would mostly sit in his inaugural season and prepare himself for the transition to the pro game. That's exactly what happened. Instant stardom is mostly a fantasy. There is a major adjustment to the pro game and some qbs have a faster pace of adapting.

If the Bills draft a qb in the first round (probably won't) the rookie is most likely not going to get a lot of playing time, at least until the end of the season when we predictably are out of the running for the postseason.

The first priority for the Bills is to draft a credible prospect. And the next stage is to coach the player up so that when he gets an opportunity to play he will be ready to play.

People that declare Air Raid QB's will fail are channeling 85 year old scouts who are living a few decades ago.

...it is today's nomenclature for the spread or shotgun which is the same deal......>60% of snaps in shotgun formation should tell us all we need to know (=Air Raid=Spread)......Warren Moon made a pretty good living at it as have many others...........

The notion that a rookie qb can be written off is short-sighted. Goff was drafted with the intention that he would mostly sit in his inaugural season and prepare himself for the transition to the pro game. That's exactly what happened. Instant stardom is mostly a fantasy. There is a major adjustment to the pro game and some qbs have a faster pace of adapting.

If the Bills draft a qb in the first round (probably won't) the rookie is most likely not going to get a lot of playing time, at least until the end of the season when we predictably are out of the running for the postseason.

The first priority for the Bills is to draft a credible prospect. And the next stage is to coach the player up so that when he gets an opportunity to play he will be ready to play.

Yes, there is a lot involved. I understand Barbarian's POV. I just disagree that a QB needy team can eliminate 95% of the college talent pool because they want their QB to be NFL ready. Get a real offensive coordinator who can break your QB in like Dak and get him comfortable, then expand on that every year.

Yes, there is a lot involved. I understand Barbarian's POV. I just disagree that a QB needy team can eliminate 95% of the college talent pool because they want their QB to be NFL ready. Get a real offensive coordinator who can break your QB in like Dak and get him comfortable, then expand on that every year.

...the collegiate pool is no longer interested in developing NFL ready QB's.......their focus is on what packs stadiums, satisfies mega bucks boosters, and earns them a $$$ major bowl payday....education and guys signing with an "X" don't mean a damn either......MLB has developmental leagues as does NHL and NBA.....why not the omnipotent NFL greedmeisters?...fund collegiate football (including pay players) if you want it to be YOUR developmental league seeing that NFL Europe is dead and long gone........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The Dak Prescott situation is a completely different situation. Their starter got hurt and the team had no other choice. Prescott fell into a good situation with having one of the best, if not the best, OL in the game. Dak's performance as a rookie was more of an exception than the rule for rookie qbs.

The Bills are not a qb starved team in that TT is a decent bridge qb. What would be the purpose of putting out a rookie qb who isn't ready to play at an acceptable level and the result is the team struggling even further than need be.

With respect to the highlighted segment I'm arguing the opposite of what you believe I said. My position is draft the best prospect and then coach the player up. I've said it before that no qb prospect in this draft is ready to play immediately. On the flip side of that position is that I believe that there are a number of qbs in this draft who are capable of being franchise qbs in this league. The first task is to draft the right prospect and then move on to the next stage of developing the player.

Brady looks "right." What happened to him?

Actually, he didn't. The word was that those who saw him throw in person were so unimpressed that they never thought of him.

But Brady is such an outlier that there is no point in trying to replicate his success.

...the collegiate pool is no longer interested in developing NFL ready QB's.......their focus is on what packs stadiums, satisfies mega bucks boosters, and earns them a $$$ major bowl payday....education and guys signing with an "X" don't mean a damn either......MLB has developmental leagues as does NHL and NBA.....why not the omnipotent NFL greedmeisters?...fund collegiate football (including pay players) if you want it to be YOUR developmental league seeing that NFL Europe is dead and long gone........

Colleges do focus on packing stadiums. However, they've generally not had an interest, per se, in developing NFL ready QB's. They want to develop quarterbacks that can win games for them, whether they'll be NFL ready or not. Schools like Texas Tech and Navy have developed numerous quarterbacks that put up incredible numbers and led winning collegiate teams. None of their quarterbacks, with the exception of Roger Staubach, have done anything in the NFL. Of course there are some college coaches that do want teams that win games running NFL-type systems. They'll develop NFL ready quarterbacks as a result. The primary goal, however, may be to enhance their coaching resumes to show their strengths are what the NFL will be looking for. Regarding a developmental league, it already exists at the collegiate level. But why pay players? They already get a free ride worth tens of thousands of dollars, free coaching, lots of publicity, and as a bonus, some of them may even learn something.

Colleges do focus on packing stadiums. However, they've generally not had an interest, per se, in developing NFL ready QB's. They want to develop quarterbacks that can win games for them, whether they'll be NFL ready or not. Schools like Texas Tech and Navy have developed numerous quarterbacks that put up incredible numbers and led winning collegiate teams. None of their quarterbacks, with the exception of Roger Staubach, have done anything in the NFL. Of course there are some college coaches that do want teams that win games running NFL-type systems. They'll develop NFL ready quarterbacks as a result. The primary goal, however, may be to enhance their coaching resumes to show their strengths are what the NFL will be looking for. Regarding a developmental league, it already exists at the collegiate level. But why pay players? They already get a free ride worth tens of thousands of dollars, free coaching, lots of publicity, and as a bonus, some of them may even learn something.

...your are 1000% on with your commentary friend with my thanks for such a contribution....so in essence, with no absolute NFL bonafide "minor league" per se, .the onus lies strictly with NFL coaches be it HC, OC , Qb Coach or all combined to develop the collegians into NFL'ers......as Steve Young said, "more are destined for failure versus success because of the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level"....hard to argue with that guy....

So you wouldn't draft Marcus Mariotta or Dak Prescott? If we followed your rules we could only wait for Andrew Luck (and we never draft top 2) or run a Peterman or a Chad Henne out there.

Don't compare Oregon's or Texas A&M's offence to Texas Tech. The Qb has way more responsibilities in those offences.

When people talk Air Raid they are talking about Texas Tech, Cal, and probably some other Big 12 offences.

It's not about Air Raid. I was told Goff would be a bust but it had nothing to do with playing in a spread offense. Air Raid is just a spread offense. There is nothing about it that prevents a prospect anymore than another spread offense. Air Raid's poor record has to do with they had few talented QB prospects playing in it.

Other spread offence's have a lot more NFL concepts.

This guy is a poor mans version of Jared Goff.

Did anyone see how horrific Goff was last season?

The Air Raid offense doesn't produce NFL calibre QBs.

Goff had better receivers and lineman. Webb still produced with worse line play and receivers. Hey what were Peyton Mannings numbers his first year. Alot of know it alls on here. Thats why they are sitting at the computer munching Cheetos. I say Webb has as much Talent as any of the top Qbs. There are alot of reasons why some young Qbs play better than others. Coaching...hmnnn Belicheck....team talent. Cowboys ..best o-line great receivers Te.Rb. Put Dak or any other young Qb on our team and see how he fares. Webb has the height, arm strength, speed and attitude to WORK with. If he pans out I dont know. Where was Goff drafted last year. Hmnnn wait didn`t he play at......Really ???

Don't compare Oregon's or Texas A&M's offence to Texas Tech. The Qb has way more responsibilities in those offences.

When people talk Air Raid they are talking about Texas Tech, Cal, and probably some other Big 12 offences.

Other spread offence's have a lot more NFL concepts.

Go ahead and elaborate.

....sounds like you and Mr. Webb disagree..............

Davis Webb says double-digit teams told him hes a first-rounder

Posted by Josh Alper on March 25, 2017, 11:44 AM EDT

When discussing the top quarterbacks in this years draft, attention has largely been focused on North Carolinas Mitchell Trubisky, Clemsons Deshaun Watson, Notre Dames DeShone Kizer and Texas Techs Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes former backup in Lubbock says that hes hearing theres room for one more in that group. Davis Webb transferred to California for the 2016 season and put together a performance he says has impressed NFL scouts.

Webb held his pro day workout on Friday and said after it was over that hes gotten a lot of positive feedback during his conversations with teams.

Ive talked to a lot of NFL people, Webb said, via ESPN.com. And double-digit teams have told me Im a first-round guy. Every meeting Ive had, theyve said Im one of the best quarterbacks on the board.

I'm aware :lol:

When is this archaic franchise going to learn that if you want a franchise qb you need to select the best qb in the draft and not wait for a lesser player because you are searching for value. The issue shouldn't be who is the best valued qb at a later round but who is the best qb and has the greatest chance to be a franchise qb.

Derek Carr was rated as a lower first round to second round type of player. He was selected at the top of the second round. If the Bills would have selected him in the first round would anyone be complaining? If the Bills, a qb starved franchise, would have seized the opportunity then to select a qb then the trajectory and dynamic of this franchise would be dramatically different.

This staid franchise has not had a legitimate franchise qb for twenty years or so, since the retirement of Kelly. It still hasn't learned that dithering and passivity on addressing that position are not responses that solve the problem that has kept this franchise stuck in the mud. The cycle of futility never ends because this franchise seems incapable of changing. It's comfort zone is so small that it can't find its way out of the small box that they jumped into.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Having just used a 1st round pick on EJ the prior year, there was little chance any team would've used a high pick on another QB the following year.