Bills at Patriots, November 29, 1998 ending

Hey there fans. There are many tough losses in Bills history (Wide right, Music City Miracle, Dolphins last year, The home opener against Denver where Elam ran onto the field as the clock

ran out and won the game, JP Losman taking a sack at the NY Jets after 2 minute warning and fumbling, the MNF loss to the Browns when Lindell missed wide right, The MNF game

where Mckelvin ran it out at NE instead of taking the touchback, I got plenty more, but will stop), but I feel the loss at the Pats on November 29, 1998 was right up there if not the worst. The

refs just gave the Pats a first down! Why? Moulds and Flutie played so good in this game. I think I actually spit on my tv at the end when the Bills got flagged for P.I.

Anyone else got any memories of this game?

GO TO 4:30 IN THIS VIDEO LINK IF YOU need a refresher.

the link may not work sorry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 14 and remember this game like yesterday. Just an unbelievable screw job. That spot on the Jefferson catch and than the PI call on Henry Jones make up the worst sequence of officiating I've ever seen. Even after the game, Ty Law was like, "A lot of the young guys are excited, but the vets know we kinda stole that one."

Wasn't this the same year as the Vinny Testaverde phantom TD where his helmet was a yard or two short of the goal line, let alone the ball?

Pretty sure that bad officiating in 1998 spurred the reincarnation of instant replay. I always thought Bills/Pats game played a big part even though the Jets TD got more press...I think it kept the Seahawks out of the playoffs.

As for frustrating losses, the night game we blew against the Cowboys on two late long FG's should be mentioned if it hasn't been already.

Edited by LI_Bills

As for frustrating losses, the night game we blew against the Cowboys on two late long FG's should be mentioned if it hasn't been already.

Are we really going to start a list of frustrating losses? The season starts in only 5 1/2 months, I don't think we will have enough time to go over all of them. Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins

That fake first down, which he was out of bounds three yards from the marker, then the PI, then Carroll going for two...worst screw job in the history of the league. On the plus side, I was never as proud of a coach as I was of Wade for pulling the team.

Because of that game, Ralph Wilson moved to bring back instant replay. He'd personally held it up for years, along with a couple of other owners.

I was 14 and remember this game like yesterday. Just an unbelievable screw job. That spot on the Jefferson catch and than the PI call on Henry Jones make up the worst sequence of officiating I've ever seen. Even after the game, Ty Law was like, "A lot of the young guys are excited, but the vets know we kinda stole that one."

That was a fun Bills team. The bootleg/blown Flutie TD with no time left against an undefeated Jaguar team. Moulds and Flutie made that team electric and the defense was very good as well. I was 16 at the time. I don't remember what happened yesterday let alone almost 20 years ago, but.....November 29th, 1998 my parents were both gone. I remember loving life at the moment. I knew they would be gone all day. Living in metro Detroit suburbs, you got about a 20% chance of a Bills game being on, so each time was a celebration. They were on. I could sneak out on the deck and have a smoke on commercial breaks. Damn, what a rebel. In any event "Just give it to em" is ingrained in my mind. In my opinion it's the most painful regular season loss in franchise history.

Edited by KzooMike