Bills fire 3 long-time staffers and Team Chaplain

Why either/or? Why not both?

A very high percentage of NFL players identify strongly as Christian - I heard something like 70-75%. They are asked to forego regular church services during the season for games, why not provide them with a chaplain or pastor?

I agree. A clear conscience and a feeling of fulfillment will allow them to play more free out there. I understand how some want to keep religion out of the game, but I disagree that this is the issue here. This is about emotional stability. I don't care if they want to sniff the dirty panties of someone's grandma while eating Fruity damn Pebbles...if that helps them find their happy place so they can go out and play with reckless abandon...get er done OBD!

Too many people feeling hurt by what other people believe in. Live your own lives the way you want and to hell with what other people think!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very high percentage of NFL players identify strongly as Christian - I heard something like 70-75%. They are asked to forego regular church services during the season for games, why not provide them with a chaplain or pastor?

:thumbsup: spirituality is healthy, imo. Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

Exactly.

...excellent points.........another measure of unifying the team......no harm, no foul IMO....

You make valid points -- I'm likely inserting my own belief system into the equation as I am unimpressed with any form of organized religion. I wasn't thinking about the Sunday church angle.

I think we probably both agree that the Chaplain shouldn't be advising the HC on gameday decisions!

You make valid points -- I'm likely inserting my own belief system into the equation as I am unimpressed with any form of organized religion. I wasn't thinking about the Sunday church angle.

I think we probably both agree that the Chaplain shouldn't be advising the HC on gameday decisions!

....after SEVENTEEN years, divine intervention may not be a bad idea.........nothin' else seems to be working.......

That was a bit different eh ?

Following up on Hapless. It seems to me having as much player support as possible.

I feel many of these players have strong religious tendencies. Reading so many quotes from players citing belief that things will work out as an acknowledgement of Faith.

maybe the previous Bills Chaplain was not as focused on his true task as he could've been ?

And maybe the Conditioning tempo is going be more intense. Need these guys to know the message and the method Coach wants

Good post Hapless, and others !

....after SEVENTEEN years, divine intervention may not be a bad idea.........nothin' else seems to be working.......

For you or the Bills ?

Does Ralph have an Angels ear ? That would help. Maybe he can wield a bit of leverage from his good deed on earth?

Kust curious but do those corporations only have 1-2 people that can do a specific job that could change that corporations ability to be successful? How many of these corporations are there in the world? Are they as unique as an NFL club.

People keep comparing an NFL team to corporations or trying to liken them to a regular buisness. Its not nor will ever be and cant be mistake as such. Yes some principles still apply as it would a regular buisness but the dynamics of an NFL franchise is much more so than that of a buisness its almost as if you are thinking solely in a vacuum.

So you think NFL teams need chaplains for grief counseling? Why not rabbis? Or a Mullah? Or a team psychiatrist that holds their hands when the flights get bumpy?

Give me a break.

do they provide players of other religions with private clerics?

So you think NFL teams need chaplains for grief counseling? Why not rabbis? Or a Mullah? Or a team psychiatrist that holds their hands when the flights get bumpy?

Give me a break.

Do they have to?

My point is, the NFL is obviously a Christian organization, at least unofficially. Football in America is part of the "Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet" heartland bull ****. There are plenty of articles out there accusing the NFL and the NCAA and high school football programs of being Evangelical in its message. It's hard to play football in many programs if you aren't a Christian.

I'm all for helping the players psychologically, but if they need spiritual guidance, that should be done privately, away from the team.

Do they have to?

that's my point...providing Christians with spiritual guidance but not believers of other faiths is not fair. And what about players of no faith? Nothing like ostracizing a group of players when there is no need to, right?

My point is, the NFL is obviously a Christian organization, at least unofficially. Football in America is part of the "Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet" heartland bull ****. There are plenty of articles out there accusing the NFL and the NCAA and high school football programs of being Evangelical in its message. It's hard to play football in many programs if you aren't a Christian.

I'm all for helping the players psychologically, but if they need spiritual guidance, that should be done privately, away from the team.

And I'm sure when some guy's neck gets shattered on the field, most players like praying right then and there.

that's my point...providing Christians with spiritual guidance but not believers of other faiths is not fair. And what about players of no faith? Nothing like ostracizing a group of players when there is no need to, right?

Fair to who? Does anyone in the NFL who isn't a Christian care? Maybe they lead non-denominational prayers.

Who is being ostracized by catering to 90% of your players?

And I'm sure when some guy's neck gets shattered on the field, most players like praying right then and there.

Nothing wrong with that...that's not "scheduled," it's organic. I'm not calling for a ban on prayer...just on an organization - or government, while we're at it - obviously sponsoring one religion.

Edited by Domdab99

That chaplain should have been fired immediatly after he told Rex not to challenge an obvious wrong call. Contributed to the loss that day. Good riddance dumb ass. Go coach a high school team if you think that is your calling.

Nothing wrong with that...that's not "scheduled," it's organic. I'm not calling for a ban on prayer...just on an organization - or government, while we're at it - obviously sponsoring one religion.

A Chaplain is for all religions.

Yikes. Good luck.

Better get those chapels out of hospitals too. Those damn Christians praying for the dead and dying!

Edited by FireChan

Counterpoint: "Don't throw the flag. You don't have a prayer of winning this challenge."

Give me a break.

i never specified a religion. The article was about a chaplain if it was anout a rabbi or a monk I would have said the same thing. The players usually in some form show faith i.e. Saying thank god or something of that noti N identifying themsekves as one of faith. You sure are one of the worst posters on this board. Keep it up it's entertaining the level of thougt you put towards your posts.