If you owned the Bills would you acknowledge O.J. Simpson?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See if this is an interesting take. Let's assume the Bills are playing in a brand new downtown stadium. The Pegulas don't want the media attention of removing OJ's name from RWS/New Era. But when the new wall of fame goes up, just leave him off the new wall. No issue of inviting him to the game for the fans to cheer or boo.

And don't tell me the wall is all inclusive. Cookie should have been on the wall with Kemp. Cookie was as talented and as important as any player but Kelly, Reed, Smith, and Thurman.

See if this is an interesting take. Let's assume the Bills are playing in a brand new downtown stadium. The Pegulas don't want the media attention of removing OJ's name from RWS/New Era. But when the new wall of fame goes up, just leave him off the new wall. No issue of inviting him to the game for the fans to cheer or boo.And don't tell me the wall is all inclusive. Cookie should have been on the wall with Kemp. Cookie was as talented and as important as any player but Kelly, Reed, Smith, and Thurman.

Do nothing now, ignore until you have to act. Even a negative act (i.e. removal) is unnecessary attention. In a new stadium, add who you want to the wall. Great player, but if the owners don't want to glorify him, I get that. He did in fact own the game in his time. He was my favorite part of game day, but things change.

if i owned the bills i would acknowledge oj howard

well done :thumbsup:

Mixed feelings on O J Simpson and while I realize the historical significance of Simpson's accomplishments on the football field If I was Pegula I might be tempted to remove any mention of Simpson within the New Era stadium walls.

Was Simpson a great player? yes

Does Simpson deserve the same respect and treatment from within the organization and fan base as someone like Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith? absolutely not, not in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster

I would have ZERO issues acknowledging OJ Simpson if I were the owner of this team and anyone who would hypothetically have a problem with that (owners/fans/media) can go to hell.

....I'm posting "live" from there...now what?..............

All due respect to the 2 people who died... who may or may not have died by his hands. Do you feel his on the field accomplishments should be recognized( wall of fame etc)?

No.

I suppose we are stuck with him, being on the wall of fame already.

But I do not think he should ever be recognized (invited for homecoming game, etc) by the organization.

Perhaps when OJ dies, they can issue a statement of condolences, but I would hope they never reach out to recognize or support him in any way.

Should they remove him from the wall of fame? No, I don't think so. But no further contact is necessary.

i so very much wanted oj to be innocent but after watching most of that trial live i have to admit i thought he did it. ironically, i agreed with the verdict to acquit bc the investigators blundered the blood evidence, among other fubars. once you remove most of the blood evidence then there becomes enough reasonable doubt to acquit imo

but considering the gravity of the crime and the miscarriage of justice that was the result, no i cant see any special acknowledgement for oj the player. he hasnt really even repented as far as i can tell. its a bridge too far

i so very much wanted oj to be innocent but after watching most of that trial live i have to admit i thought he did it. ironically, i agreed with the verdict to acquit bc the investigators blundered the blood evidence, among other fubars. once you remove most of the blood evidence then there becomes enough reasonable doubt to acquit imo

but considering the gravity of the crime and the miscarriage of justice that was the result, no i cant see any special acknowledgement for oj the player. he hasnt really even repented as far as i can tell. its a bridge too far

Are you ignoring his efforts to find the real killer by searching every golf course in Florida?

The son may have been involved, but i doubt we'll ever know. My best plan would just be to ignore the whole thing. Why would anyone do anything else?

Perhaps when the new stadium is built, for the new Ring of Fame they could put '32' up but not put the name that goes with it. It allows the football accomplishments to be acknowledged while not honoring the person.

Which seems to be what the Bills have tried to do since that fateful summer day.

I'd put his name in sparkles and neon lights. He stood for the national anthem! Woo!

Why do we change history to the modern perspective. I'm sorry, anyone wanting to remove his name is a snowflake and what is wrong with our culture. They are held back by previous events and fascinated to view things retroactively.

I'd put his name in sparkles and neon lights. He stood for the national anthem! Woo!

Why do we change history to the modern perspective. I'm sorry, anyone wanting to remove his name is a snowflake and what is wrong with our culture. They are held back by previous events and fascinated to view things retroactively.

To be fair, this isn't applying new societal standards to folks of a different era. That discussion I buy as a tough area. Wiping a guy off a corporate achievement list because he was arrested a bunch and killed a few people after retirement isn't near as radical

See if this is an interesting take. Let's assume the Bills are playing in a brand new downtown stadium. The Pegulas don't want the media attention of removing OJ's name from RWS/New Era. But when the new wall of fame goes up, just leave him off the new wall. No issue of inviting him to the game for the fans to cheer or boo.And don't tell me the wall is all inclusive. Cookie should have been on the wall with Kemp. Cookie was as talented and as important as any player but Kelly, Reed, Smith, and Thurman.

Good take. Quietly let it go away with a new stadium whenever that happens. Leave. It up for now. They don't need any more unwanted press.