Who is still mad we tanked the Jets game?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not happy about it. I wouldn't exactly say that I was mad. I believe winning football games helps you win in the future and I don't think screwing with your starting QBs head helps you win either. Maybe some of the damaged caused by that is mitigated by a new coaching regime? It just seems like kind of a douche move. I don't like the idea of anyone other than the coach deciding who is going to play, I'm not sure what decisions like this do to a locker room but I doubt there's any upside to them in that regard.

Well the upside remains to be seen. 5 spots in a draft can mean the world to a team and its future, but it might not.

If I'm a starting QB for an NFL team and I know we can't make the playoffs, when my coach tells me we need to evaluate some new talent in a real game scenario, and in the process we likely get a better draft slot then I would understand completely. Your stated goal is to win a title, and higher draft picks help you do that.

So you're either a team player with the maturity to see the importance of having a long term strategy or you're not.

So we lost, because more salary cap will be taken up by paying a higher pick that, given the Bills track record of evaluating first-round talent, won't produce anyway.

That is dark and messed up! Glass half empty? Half full? Or you are just a severe pessimist!?

So we lost, because more salary cap will be taken up by paying a higher pick that, given the Bills track record of evaluating first-round talent, won't produce anyway.

That is dark and messed up! Glass half empty? Half full? Or you are just a severe pessimist!?

I wasn't mad then and I'm not mad now.

At that point I was just relieved that Rex was gone.

Yes, yep and YEP!

Am I still MAD about the outcome of a GAME played months ago?

NOPE.

I'm more pissed about my online Spaids game.

Spades?

Ohh, I would say it was entirely for competitive reasons. That helped us compete in several ways. Fact.

You just don't like it.

And as for what the league likes, are you one of the guys afraid they would make us move? I hope not.

That just may be the most ridiculous and outrageous thing I have ever read on this (or any) board. My son attended FSU with EJ and I saw way too much of him there. I liked the man, hated the QB. Don't just guess and spew hatred and ignorant views. This is the kind of stuff that is dragging this board down lately. Try to work in slowly, and with less venom.

Why else are you clueless to the fact that we had 3 qbs in the roster and Tyrod still could have sat,Cardale wouldnt have been in anymore jeopardy than he was, and we didnt have to trait a known bust out there.

We didn't tank the Jets game. We started Manuel and fired Rex. Not the same thing. Our chances of winning were lowered, but that's not tanking.

Made a ton of sense at the time to sit Tyrod with his injury combined with the contract provision that would have required signing him due to the injury guarantee of his option if the injury was worsened during game action. We also needed to know more about where EJ was at.

But in any case, I felt fine about it then, and just as fine now. My worries about winning end when we lose our playoff chances and often before if it becomes obvious we simply aren't close to competing for a Lombardi.

We didnt need to see ej.

We dont make decisions on players.

Coaching staff who had seen him for the better part of 2 years seen enough to know that he had nothing. Thats one of a bunch of laundry list of reasons Rex was fired.

We didn't tank the Jets game. We started Manuel and fired Rex. Not the same thing. Our chances of winning were lowered, but that's not tanking.

Made a ton of sense at the time to sit Tyrod with his injury combined with the contract provision that would have required signing him due to the injury guarantee of his option if the injury was worsened during game action. We also needed to know more about where EJ was at.

But in any case, I felt fine about it then, and just as fine now. My worries about winning end when we lose our playoff chances and often before if it becomes obvious we simply aren't close to competing for a Lombardi.

You don't bench your starting QB after he has had the best game of his career. It showed the rest of the team that you do not care about winning. This was a game that counted. And EJ-he is terrible. Everyone already knew that. starting him was ridiculous. An audition-ha ha ha.

You don't bench your starting QB after he has had the best game of his career. It showed the rest of the team that you do not care about winning. This was a game that counted. And EJ-he is terrible. Everyone already knew that. starting him was ridiculous. An audition-ha ha ha.

Even if that QB is injured and the game means nothing?

lol he looked and was fine playing Miami. It's the NFL. Everyone plays through injuries and such when they can, and TT was fine to play. Ryan wanted to win, which is what you do in a game that counts. Starting EJ was a slap in the face to the rest of the team, and they quit.

Honestly that game is just a blip on the radar to me. They decided to fire Rex and once that happened the last game especially became meaningless and the sideshow that developed happens for most teams once a coach is gone and week 17 is a lame duck situation.

That said the TD kickoff was pretty dam pathetic and it felt like a waste watching. But grand scheme eh I could care less and happy we got a higher pick.

No, not at all.

Pretty amazing that one game is the difference in five picks. I think we as fans put way too much stock in high draft picks though. We've had awful high picks and great low ones. It's about how you draft, which, for us, in the high rounds, has not been all that great. Only two first round QBs all these years is insanity.

No, not at all.

Pretty amazing that one game is the difference in five picks. I think we as fans put way too much stock in high draft picks though. We've had awful high picks and great low ones. It's about how you draft, which, for us, in the high rounds, has not been all that great. Only two first round QBs all these years is insanity.

Going into that game the potential pick ranged up to 20th and down to 9th. Disagree on the value of picks. Higher picks give you more options. That's always a good thing.

I totally get wanting to try to win, but.....

* We got to see if EJ had improved

* EJ is gone

* Tyrod is staying at a reduced cost

* Tyrod did not further injure the groin causing complications

* The Bills draft earlier

* The Jets draft later

* We got to see a little Cardale

I'd say we won a lot by losing.

This is why I was ambivalent.

I really believe you build a culture of winning by winning. I don't thinking winning is a some-of-the-time thing, it's an all-the-time thing. You try hard in practice, you try hard in games, you are relentless and uncompromising.

So if I owned the Bills, I would have let the coach play the game to win with whichever QB gave us the best chances of winning.

But I have to concede there were a lot of practical benefits to letting other QBs play that game.

I remember a lot of folks fuming mad we started EJ and lost the season finale last season. (ALynn's debut and finale as head coach.) Considering we'd be drafting 15th instead of 10th if we had won that game, how do you feel about it now. especially if you were mad when it happened? Would you rather be picking 15th on principle?

Only a valid question if you believe the Bills started EJ in order to lose the game to improve their draft position. I don't think that way. IMO it was done simply as a business decision based on TT's contract situation and the fact that he was slightly injured.

FWIW JM2009 is one of the biggest EJ haters from the BBMB. If you expect any reasoning from him, good luck.

lol he looked and was fine playing Miami. It's the NFL. Everyone plays through injuries and such when they can, and TT was fine to play. Ryan wanted to win, which is what you do in a game that counts. Starting EJ was a slap in the face to the rest of the team, and they quit.

I think you are a bit off base. TT had been injured for weeks prior to the Miami game.

A tweet from Buffalo News reporter Vic Carucci suggests that Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor may have been suffering from a serious groin injury for over a month.

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News reports that Taylor has “fought [through] a severe groin injury that could need more attention in [the] offseason.”

Only a valid question if you believe the Bills started EJ in order to lose the game to improve their draft position. I don't think that way. IMO it was done simply as a business decision based on TT's contract situation and the fact that he was slightly injured.

what he said

FWIW JM2009 is one of the biggest EJ haters from the BBMB. If you expect any reasoning from him, good luck.

I think you are a bit off base. TT had been injured for weeks prior to the Miami game.

A tweet from Buffalo News reporter Vic Carucci suggests that Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor may have been suffering from a serious groin injury for over a month.

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News reports that Taylor has “fought [through] a severe groin injury that could need more attention in [the] offseason.”

what he said

I rooted for EJ in every game he played, and he proved to be terrible. That was a ridiculous waste starting him. Still amazing the people left who defend EJ, and yet degrade TT, a much better QB.

It was a meaningless game....and it gave us better picks ( not just the 1st round )...so no, I wasn't mad....I don't lose sleep over regular games that mean absolutely nothing....If some of you were upset, just look at the bigger picture....

Edited by Iron Maiden

I rooted for EJ in every game he played, and he proved to be terrible. That was a ridiculous waste starting him. Still amazing the people left who defend EJ, and yet degrade TT, a much better QB.

Sure I can believe that.

The problem JM is that you see any comments and or criticism of Taylor's game as "people degrading" him and defending EJ. Sure there are the one or 2 trolls who says TT's useless, but rational people know better and ignore them.

With Taylor's "severe" groin injury it would have been a very dumb move to start him week 17. There was zero to gain from winning.

The following quote is what it gained the Bills

It was a meaningless game....and it gave us better picks ( not just the 1st round )...so no, I wasn't mad....I don't lose sleep over regular games that mean absolutely nothing....If some of you were upset, just look at the bigger picture....

I remember a lot of folks fuming mad we started EJ and lost the season finale last season. (ALynn's debut and finale as head coach.) Considering we'd be drafting 15th instead of 10th if we had won that game, how do you feel about it now. especially if you were mad when it happened? Would you rather be picking 15th on principle?

I was happy at the time and still happy. I felt the team needed 100% clarity on where EJ and Cardale were, and once it came out Tyrod was playing hurt no reason to risk worsening his injury.

The only reason to win that game was Rex's ego playing against the team that fired him and playing for a better W-L record as a coach. No, thank you, saw enough.

The game put on film incontrovertibly for the new HC that Tyrod was currently the only viable NFL-ready QB on the Bills roster.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Sure I can believe that.

The problem JM is that you see any comments and or criticism of Taylor's game as "people degrading" him and defending EJ. Sure there are the one or 2 trolls who says TT's useless, but rational people know better and ignore them.

With Taylor's "severe" groin injury it would have been a very dumb move to start him week 17. There was zero to gain from winning.

The following quote is what it gained the Bills

A higher draft spot for Whaley to mess up in all likelihood. You play to win all 16 games, and Taylor could have played. He played with his problem all season.