Madden discussion

This is meant mostly for the gamers out there but a break from the #nonewscycle negativity. DON'T KILL ME 'cuz I still play Madden at ?yrs old.

I've downloaded the newest custom roster update (3-26-17) which includes EVERY move by every team so far.

Our Madden offense is pretty weak.

(a)So I then created OJ Howard TE... and made his overall rating equal to E Ebron for reference. Played 3 gms.

Loved it. 2RB-1WR-2TE. Shady, DiMarco, Sammy, Clay & OJ. Nice.

(b)Then made a new roster with Mike Willams WR instead...rated out to T Pryor. Played 2 gms.

Didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. C Davis or MW, don't think it matters.

It's only a videogame but I think that our good running game plus Sammy being dbl'd a lot, could mean that OJ, Clay & DiMarco could exploit teams weaknesses next year. Most teams are built for Nickel. SMcD is gonna want DBs and S help in April's draft but I am really open to OJ at 10 now.

Has anyone else tinkered with this or added any FAs still out there? Does anyone still play? :)

To get the feel of what our schemes will be, I used Carolina DEF & Atlanta OFF. Shanahan's version of the West Coast is suited for Sammy 'cuz it's designed solely around Julio.

I do like having the 4-3 again. We aren't really too bad except at CB2 & SS.

Edited by r00tabaga

This is meant mostly for the gamers out there but a break from the #nonewscycle negativity. DON'T KILL ME 'cuz I still play Madden at ?yrs old.

I've downloaded the newest custom roster update (3-26-17) which includes EVERY move by every team so far.

(a)So I then created OJ Howard TE... and made his overall rating equal to E Ebron for reference. Played 3 gms.

(b)Then made a new roster with Mike Willams WR instead...rated out to T Pryor. Played 2 gms.

It's only a videogame but I think that our good running game plus Sammy being dbl'd a lot, could mean that OJ, Clay & DiMarco could exploit teams weaknesses next year. Most teams are built for Nickel. SMcD is gonna want DBs and S help in April's draft but I am really open to OJ at 10 now.

Has anyone else tinkered with this or added any FAs still out there? Does anyone still play? :)

To get the feel of what our schemes will be, I used Carolina DEF & Atlanta OFF. Shanahan's version of the West Coast is suited for Sammy 'cuz it's designed solely around Julio.

Regardless of whatever moves we make, or who we draft, I can tell you this: we will have no better than a 78 overall rating in Madden 18. I believe we have been in the 80s only twice the last almost 20 years.

Side note, are the Bills planning a club tournament of Madden anytime soon to designate a Bills Madden player like other teams have done?

I have been watching Madden on ESPN since late in the Fall, and I am curious.

There's actually a roster out there with all FA moves and 2017 created players in FA. So you can mock a draft.

Right, but they are all in the FA pool, so you can just add each one to a different roster.

Oooh cool, I'll look now. I'd actually like to tinker around with 2-3 rounds. I'll do the Mock I saw online today for 10) M Lattimore 44) Zay Jones 75) Marcus Williams.

Anyways, I'm liking that we got Haushka a lot and Hyde is a really good safety in this game. DiMarco isnt that much better than Felton blocking wise but his route running is more like a TE so I'm using the FB more than ever.

I'm not a Madden guy but this conversation is kind of intriguing.

As Madden gets more and more sophisticated, I wonder if you really could use it to gauge the impact of a FA or draft pick on a team.

With annual Madden sales of something like 5.5 million, EA could afford to hire a scouting department as good as any NFL team.

Regardless of whatever moves we make, or who we draft, I can tell you this: we will have no better than a 78 overall rating in Madden 18. I believe we have been in the 80s only twice the last almost 20 years.

Side note, are the Bills planning a club tournament of Madden anytime soon to designate a Bills Madden player like other teams have done?

I have been watching Madden on ESPN since late in the Fall, and I am curious.

They already did it. I can't believe how trashy the players in those things are. I was watching a final game and the guys were running the same play on offense over and over and over again and they were running the same defense over and over and over again too. Each side running the same exact plays against each other over and over and over again. Shotgun run play up the middle and the quarter cover 2 zone that blitzes both inside CBs. Just goes to show you how trash the game really is when that tactic can get you in the finals of a tournament that paid out 10s of thousands dollars.

I'm not a Madden guy but this conversation is kind of intriguing.

As Madden gets more and more sophisticated, I wonder if you really could use it to gauge the impact of a FA or draft pick on a team.

With annual Madden sales of something like 5.5 million, EA could afford to hire a scouting department as good as any NFL team.

I don't think so. It's not nearly in depth enough.

anyone play madden mobile? it's one of the best ports I've played. I kind of quit console madden I got so consumed by the mobile version.

to rootabaga's point though it is interesting to see the different dynamics. I had never thought to try ahead of time but I always jumped on right after the draft.

Howard is interesting as the 2 te sets would offer versatility but his lack of college production makes me nervous.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I always represent the Bills in online Madden games.

I am 108-78 using only the Bills and trying to play as fairly and realistically as possible (lots of exploit abusing, cheap little funkers online).

The thing is, in Madden, speed has always mattered most. So with Watkins, Goodwin, Listenbee, Clay, Logan Thomas, and McCoy, not to mention the advantage of a mobile QB, the Bills offense in Madden is pretty hard to stop.

People always pick the Cowboys or Patriots or Seahawks and have a good laugh when they see I've picked the Bills. Then I smoke 'em.

Didn't the Madden Simulator pick almost all of the playoff teams? I could be wrong but I thought that Denver was the only team they missed on.

Oh I think it's fine for that. But for knowing the potential impact of a single FA? I don't think so.

From what I've read and experienced madden is incredibly sophisticated as far as how all the attributes of a player interact with his infield teammates and opponents. The scouting is also pretty in depth. But it's not realistic enough to carry over into real football. For example I've had many superstar development cbs with good physicals and very developed intangibles like awareness play recognition etc. But if he is under 6ft tall he performs terribly against any tall reciever. If the pass catcher is 6'3 and can jump it doesn't matter how low his other ratins are he's winning the battle.

It's definitely fun and deep with in the madden world not so much the real world

As soon as the Bills sign a lesser known FA I look to see his rating on Madden. People can rip it all they want but it's of the better player rating systems available to the public. The way I see it we are looking at one of the worst WR groups in recent history. Don't expect to much respect from the game in 18 unless we draft a WR at 10.

I miss the head coach games. Madden is just a cash grab each year bent on online players and fantasy production.

I like the draft, building the team, designing plays, etc. sigh....not for everyone I guess.

you can do a franchise or cfm I think it's called now. You can scout players,fa, draft,and develop players. Not sure if they have the playback editor anymore.

Can you also play out your season?

yes

They already did it. I can't believe how trashy the players in those things are. I was watching a final game and the guys were running the same play on offense over and over and over again and they were running the same defense over and over and over again too. Each side running the same exact plays against each other over and over and over again. Shotgun run play up the middle and the quarter cover 2 zone that blitzes both inside CBs. Just goes to show you how trash the game really is when that tactic can get you in the finals of a tournament that paid out 10s of thousands dollars.

against the computer the game will adapt to you if you call the same plays over and over. Against a person it's up to them to call plays to stop you and it's harder. I might run 6 plays total between offense and defense and have a close game vs the computer but blow out people. I run what I know like the back of my hand so if there's problems I know where everyone is and can hit a button with out thinking.

The CPU adjusts very well defensively. Guys online just spam 3 plays over and over....unless you know how to adjust, you're screwed.

This time of year is fun to play because you get a glimpse of what to expect in the upcoming season. I just wish I could replace Rex on the sideline. Anyone know how?

Edited by r00tabaga

Still, though, Mark, I would have liked to have seen that. I wish the Bills made a bigger deal out of it.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I always represent the Bills in online Madden games.

I am 108-78 using only the Bills and trying to play as fairly and realistically as possible (lots of exploit abusing, cheap little funkers online).

The thing is, in Madden, speed has always mattered most. So with Watkins, Goodwin, Listenbee, Clay, Logan Thomas, and McCoy, not to mention the advantage of a mobile QB, the Bills offense in Madden is pretty hard to stop.

People always pick the Cowboys or Patriots or Seahawks and have a good laugh when they see I've picked the Bills. Then I smoke 'em.

Good to hear, Logic. I'll sometimes check in on twitch to see if someone's playing with the Bills and it is usually few and far between.

As far as the sped thing, that is what made Parrish such a valuable assist in that third receiver spot on mediocre Bills teams in Madden. He was very fast. I fortunately in an online league I lost him in the second game of the season.

anyone play madden mobile? it's one of the best ports I've played. I kind of quit console madden I got so consumed by the mobile version.

to rootabaga's point though it is interesting to see the different dynamics. I had never thought to try ahead of time but I always jumped on right after the draft.

Howard is interesting as the 2 te sets would offer versatility but his lack of college production makes me nervous.

i'm kdiggz on madden mobile. are you in a league? my league used to be good last year and now we suck. was looking for a new league that's a little more competitive. i think we are ranked like 800 something. last year we were top 20 at one point