Bills want "success" before building new stadium

Rubes

Think that your stab at the breakdown is fairly reasonable. In terms of the suites, I would guess that there would be a slight increase in price and total number (not drastic though). I think that you will see some PSL's and the biggest jump will be the lower level tickets between the 20's. Those will have club type amenities and PSL's associated with them. I would think that you'd be looking at about $200 a ticket there (roughly double). There will also be a variety of new avenues for sponsorship. My guess is that the Bills will initially hope to generate another $50M or so a year in non-shared revenue. They should be able to do that pretty easily IMO.

What new variety of sponsorship avenues exactly?

I am not going to try to argue how things ought to be. I am simply stating how things are. Believe what you wish. This is still the NFL we are talking about. Whatever is being done elsewhere in the NFL is likely the model that will be followed here.

Ok , the team won't pursue a more modern NFL business model because you don't think they need to and would stay home if you needed more amenities. That settles it.

As OldTimeAFLGuy stated and as I alluded to, you can't fill the suites when the team is losing. It's a simple business model,WIN than you can charge perhaps class b prices in a class c venue. It's not rocket science. Now it's settled.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what my colleague passed along. The same colleague was on point about the name change from the Ralph to New Era Field last year prior to it becoming public.

Pegula does not get along with the governor of NY State due to the whole fracking thing. With that said, the Pegulas are leaning towards not asking the State for any assistance in financing a new stadium. If their investments pay off in the near future in certain fracking/oil friendly states then they will most likely cut a check to pay for it themselves. If all goes well then look for the new stadium talk to pick up in 2018-2019.

No link. Just passing this along. Take it for what it is worth.

Thanks for chiming in on this...your guy was dead-on about New Era.

Yes , I would love to see the bloated gold plated NYS Medicaid program dialed down to say the national average. And I would have no problem using some of that $$ toward a potential new stadium. If you don't think that program is full of tremendous waste then I think you are an idiot.

Every publicly funded program has waste--I say this as someone who accepts payment from Medicaid for care provided to those insured by it. NYS Medicaid is ranked 15th in per capita spending and has had lower than average growth for the period 200-11 in all categories of patients. How would you "dial it down" to "the national average"?

This is what my colleague passed along. The same colleague was on point about the name change from the Ralph to New Era Field last year prior to it becoming public.

Pegula does not get along with the governor of NY State due to the whole fracking thing. With that said, the Pegulas are leaning towards not asking the State for any assistance in financing a new stadium. If their investments pay off in the near future in certain fracking/oil friendly states then they will most likely cut a check to pay for it themselves. If all goes well then look for the new stadium talk to pick up in 2018-2019.

I'm betting that they will look to finance nearly all of it privately.

Like Golisano? I wish!

i think he saves around 7 million a year, (that 's the last number i've heard) by just living in florida for 6 months out of the year. this states really likes to bend over its residents.

What new variety of sponsorship avenues exactly?

Restaurants, parking lots, video boards, team shops, scoreboards, presenting sponsor, clubs, locations throughout the stadium, etc...The Bills do a masterful job of this now. This is why Russ Brandon keeps getting promoted and has such a good reputation around sports. That is what his job is. The Bills maximize revenue as well as just about any team could with the limitations of the market and the stadium.

I've covered the seating changes that I think earlier in the thread. There will be new opportunities to monetize experiences and things to add to the rate card on a sponsorship deal. We had like $50M to upgrade the arena here in New Orleans to spend however we wanted. After hiring a consulting firm and crunching the numbers it made the most sense to spend a large chunk on video boards facing the interstate. The advertising dollars that we could generate 24/7/365 because of the number of cars passing far outweighed the value of pretty much anything else. We wanted something that would continually generate revenue instead of a 1 time pop.

I have no idea what the Bills have in mind specifically but every team with a new facility (or substantially upgraded) is using that investment to generate more revenue. In my scenario the Bills would be able to generate (roughly) another $50M a year in non-shared revenue. That would have the Bills in a pretty good place.

@ESPNNFL

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says teams should pay for stadiums, not ask for public money. http://es.pn/2osgfX6

C8AWKgKVwAEsybd.jpg

:thumbsup:

This is what Ross and his team were saying before the public/private funding of his stadium renovations.

“A private-public partnership just seems sensible in this case, given what’s on the line economically,” Dee said. “Make no mistake, we’re willing to pay more than our fair share. Steve told me, ‘We’ve got to find a way to make this happen.’

Restaurants, parking lots, video boards, team shops, scoreboards, presenting sponsor, clubs, locations throughout the stadium, etc...The Bills do a masterful job of this now. This is why Russ Brandon keeps getting promoted and has such a good reputation around sports. That is what his job is. The Bills maximize revenue as well as just about any team could with the limitations of the market and the stadium.

I've covered the seating changes that I think earlier in the thread. There will be new opportunities to monetize experiences and things to add to the rate card on a sponsorship deal. We had like $50M to upgrade the arena here in New Orleans to spend however we wanted. After hiring a consulting firm and crunching the numbers it made the most sense to spend a large chunk on video boards facing the interstate. The advertising dollars that we could generate 24/7/365 because of the number of cars passing far outweighed the value of pretty much anything else. We wanted something that would continually generate revenue instead of a 1 time pop.

I have no idea what the Bills have in mind specifically but every team with a new facility (or substantially upgraded) is using that investment to generate more revenue. In my scenario the Bills would be able to generate (roughly) another $50M a year in non-shared revenue. That would have the Bills in a pretty good place.

Other than restaurants, is there something that prevents them from doing more deals (parking lots, video boards, presenting sponsors, etc) now?

This is what Ross and his team were saying before the public/private funding of his stadium renovations.

A private-public partnership just seems sensible in this case, given whats on the line economically, Dee said. Make no mistake, were willing to pay more than our fair share. Steve told me, Weve got to find a way to make this happen.

Other than restaurants, is there something that prevents them from doing more deals (parking lots, video boards, presenting sponsors, etc) now?

There isn't but the rates that you get at an older stadium are significantly less than what you'd get at a new venue. They will be able to add more to the sponsorship package as well. The Bills are honestly, really good at this now. They get a ton out of that stadium. If you put that additional revenue side-by-side with the increased ticket (and license) revenue I think you would be in a good place.

Every publicly funded program has waste--I say this as someone who accepts payment from Medicaid for care provided to those insured by it. NYS Medicaid is ranked 15th in per capita spending and has had lower than average growth for the period 200-11 in all categories of patients. How would you "dial it down" to "the national average"?

I'm betting that they will look to finance nearly all of it privately.

Everyone knows that NYS Medicaid program is extraordinarily generous in what it covers and is fraught with waste. It's not even up for debate. Just one example of somewhere that NYS could find the money. Probably no state other than say California wastes more $$$. I'm betting that when the time comes, the new stadium will be a combination of private and public funds. Just like most others that have been done around the NFL. No reason to think it would be any different here, regardless of ones personal opinion on whether public dollars should be used for sports stadiums.

What new variety of sponsorship avenues exactly? As OldTimeAFLGuy stated and as I alluded to, you can't fill the suites when the team is losing. It's a simple business model,WIN than you can charge perhaps class b prices in a class c venue. It's not rocket science. Now it's settled.

That's not part of the business model. Teams sell their inventory whether they win or not. I don't see teams cutting prices because they had a bad season. The goal is to win, yes. The pricing is not based on winning, though. It may mean you don't increase prices , such as this year. It may mean you can raise them even more if you get on a long period of winning. A new stadium would mean higher prices and more revenue, regardless of the team's record. The NFL doesn't work the way you would like it to, that doesn't change the reality.

You know, I have a feeling; In the end I bet Pegula writes a check for the whole damn stadium. At least the portion not paid by the NFL itself. He could certainly become a legend by doing so.

I guess that's just the old romantic in me.

I think Pegs and Jeremy Jacobs write checks, people will pay for a modest PSL but the state/local governments will cover the infrastructure costs.

A new stadium located along the 190? Lots of space for video boards.

Everyone knows that NYS Medicaid program is extraordinarily generous in what it covers and is fraught with waste. It's not even up for debate. Just one example of somewhere that NYS could find the money. Probably no state other than say California wastes more $$$. I'm betting that when the time comes, the new stadium will be a combination of private and public funds. Just like most others that have been done around the NFL. No reason to think it would be any different here, regardless of ones personal opinion on whether public dollars should be used for sports stadiums.

That's not part of the business model. Teams sell their inventory whether they win or not. I don't see teams cutting prices because they had a bad season. The goal is to win, yes. The pricing is not based on winning, though. It may mean you don't increase prices , such as this year. It may mean you can raise them even more if you get on a long period of winning. A new stadium would mean higher prices and more revenue, regardless of the team's record. The NFL doesn't work the way you would like it to, that doesn't change the reality.

So despite the #15 spending per capita, NYS Medicaid is the most wasteful? Give us all of your details--you should have them at your fingertips.

If the state wants to eliminate waste and direct funds toward a stadium, they should stop funding the "Buffalo Billion".

That said, it is still a business. If someone is willing to pay for a share of your capital costs at no expense to you and does not infringe upon your future revenue streams as condition for said expense then you take it. Think of it as incentives for capital investment much the same way states and countries hand out money for manufacturing plants/auto plants etc. Public money will be involved. And do not fret so much. Money is cheap historically speaking (IF you have money). interest rates are next to nothing. Issue some long term bonds for this.

So despite the #15 spending per capita, NYS Medicaid is the most wasteful? Give us all of your details--you should have them at your fingertips.

If the state wants to eliminate waste and direct funds toward a stadium, they should stop funding the "Buffalo Billion".

This state has never cared about eliminating waste. Regardless of your opinion, NYS Medicaid is the 2nd most expensive in the nation. I'm not debating the merits of any program vs another. The point is, in a state that is known for bloated government spending, it's laughable to say there is no way to find any money to put towards a stadium in Buffalo. Edited by Boatdrinks

i worked in a hospital for a period of time, and i personally saw the incredible waste of medicaid money. i'm not sure if it's any different than any other state, but my lord was it abused. we even had patients that would come up to ny for a period of time just to have work done under the ny medicaid coding. we offered far more than any other state did. it was literally free work.

on top of that, the only out of pocket expense was a $3 copay. if they said they didn't have it, they still had to be seen. mind you someone would tell us they didn't have the money, yet would be wearing nice clothing, jewelry, cigarettes and drove themselves to the appt. the abuse is rampant.

You know, I have a feeling; In the end I bet Pegula writes a check for the whole damn stadium. At least the portion not paid by the NFL itself. He could certainly become a legend by doing so.

I guess that's just the old romantic in me.

I'm just now reading through this thread, so I may be late with this reply, but what you state isn't possible.

The NFL G4 program (as it currently stands) could provide around $200 mil towards stadium costs. However, use of the G4 program requires some type of public funding.

Can't see a new stadium till all the current lease and bond obligations are fully satisfied, unless fracking was legal in OP, and Terry found oil & gas under the Ralph, then....?.

...EXCELLENT point.....would love to see Goober Goodell try to force TP to break existing lease......"pressure" from existing from owners points to two gluttonous pigs, Jones & Snyder...... the "big market" children who loathe "carrying" a small market team like Buffalo...

I already called it. El Pugal will write a check and become a legend.

@ESPNNFL

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says teams should pay for stadiums, not ask for public money. http://es.pn/2osgfX6

C8AWKgKVwAEsybd.jpg

:thumbsup:

Wasn't he the only "No" vote against the Raiders move?