Breakout Season for Shaq Lawson in 2017?

Breakout Season in 2017? = Tyrod Taylor

i was actually wondering about this. if the offense is truly designed to suit his strengths, there is no reason he can't have a "breakout" season. the man does have strengths, and if his weaknesses are minimized, who knows?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay healthy and be right there around 8 or 9 sacks.

I think a breakout year for a "top 10 worthy draft pick pass rusher" as he was sold by those justifying his selection......to be higher.....like at least the first year he hits triple digits.......but it would depend on pressures and play against the run etc..

As you know, my floor of expectation for him was lower than most.........he performed exactly as I feared last year........and my ceiling is less than the Terrell Suggs-type impact that some think he has in him so I'd consider 8 a really good number for him considering his flaws.

Edited by #BADOL

I think a breakout year for a "top 10 worthy draft pick pass rusher" as he was sold by those justifying his selection......to be higher.....like at least the first year he hits triple digits.......but it would depend on pressures and play against the run etc..

As you know, my floor of expectation for him was lower than most.........he performed exactly as I feared last year........and my ceiling is less than the Terrell Suggs-type impact that some think he has in him so I'd consider 8 a really good number for him considering his flaws.

I was interpreting as breakout in the context of a Bills player breaking through from question mark to established key component.

In the context of the whole league I agree 8 or 9 sacks is not a "breakout". The only candidate I see as a possible league wide breakout player is Ronald Darby if he can return to 2015 form and do so as a number 1 corner taking more of the number 1 receiver assignments.

Bado you have prob already been over this but what flaws are you talking about?

I was interpreting as breakout in the context of a Bills player breaking through from question mark to established key component.

In the context of the whole league I agree 8 or 9 sacks is not a "breakout". The only candidate I see as a possible league wide breakout player is Ronald Darby if he can return to 2015 form and do so as a number 1 corner taking more of the number 1 receiver assignments.

This is a good point....we actually NEED Darby to return to his 2014 form

You're forgetting about the fourth round pick in 2016 that Whaley also gave away to move up for Ragland--a pick that could have been used on a certain QB.

That was a good trade by Whaley. Worth a fourth to grab Rags. He can be special. Just my opinion, but the talent is undeniable

Bado you have prob already been over this but what flaws are you talking about?

1) Poor get-off........he was routinely the last guy off at the snap at Clemson, let alone in comparison to top NFL pass rushers.

2) Leans into OT's instead of using his arms to lock-out and disengage. I had hoped perhaps we'd see less of that after his shoulder surgery but nope.

He can improve in those areas but that could be said of any number of young DL.......generally those are basic elements of the pass rush game that you should come into the league with.

1) Poor get-off........he was routinely the last guy off at the snap at Clemson, let alone in comparison to top NFL pass rushers.

2) Leans into OT's instead of using his arms to lock-out and disengage. I had hoped perhaps we'd see less of that after his shoulder surgery but nope.

He can improve in those areas but that could be said of any number of young DL.......generally those are basic elements of the pass rush game that you should come into the league with.

My understanding was that he had pass/run reads to make for Clemson. Thus, the poor get off was him making the read. There were plenty of plays in which he pinned his ears back and was off the ball with good speed.

That was a good trade by Whaley. Worth a fourth to grab Rags. He can be special. Just my opinion, but the talent is undeniable

I have been on the Ragland train since post draft.

When Lawson first got on the field i did not even realize he was playing. Looking back at that game, he was very slow and unsure also.

After a couple games he showed up in the right places and was leaps and bounds more NFL able.

Do not see him as a super dominate player. But i do feel he will be very solid, consistent and disciplined. McD needs to move these guys around a bit and look for the mismatch, especially having Hughes and Lorenzo looking for the pass rush.

I am going to say the D line will have break out season !! Thats one hell of a group up there. Maybe one of the best. we shall see.

Don't forget Bryant, he was hurt last year but he can be a beast out there.

Bills should have a sweet rotation with Washington likely to improve.

That 4th meant we missed out on Dak.

And if he didn't have the breakout rookie year that he had,it wouldn't even be an afterthought. All told,I'm stoked to have landed Reggie AND Shaq. Should be great in McD's defense,for years to come. One less piece that's been missing. And yes,I think TT can play well enough,but I think we do need a long term solution at QB. One piece at a time tho...that plugs both need and value at position of need

And if he didn't have the breakout rookie year that he had,it wouldn't even be an afterthought. All told,I'm stoked to have landed Reggie AND Shaq. Should be great in McD's defense,for years to come. One less piece that's been missing. And yes,I think TT can play well enough,but I think we do need a long term solution at QB. One piece at a time tho...that plugs both need and value at position of need

Yeah, if the good player we didn't get actually sucked, it wouldn't have mattered. Good point.

Yeah, if the good player we didn't get actually sucked, it wouldn't have mattered. Good point.

we could play hindsight all day....it don't change things. Obviously, we,and other GM's across the league felt as tho Ragland was a better prospect and had the higher grade. It just so happened that the 5th rounder got on the field and did well while the second rounder(that most had graded as a first)did not. I would take that law of average every single day

we could play hindsight all day....it don't change things. Obviously, we,and other GM's across the league felt as tho Ragland was a better prospect and had the higher grade. It just so happened that the 5th rounder got on the field and did well while the second rounder(that most had graded as a first)did not. I would take that law of average every single day

You're right. We traded up for a need at MLB who fit the system of a coach who is no longer here, and in doing so, cost us 2 more players that could've contributed.

Nice job Dougie :thumbsup:

Edited by FireChan

You're right. We traded up for a need at MLB who fit the system of a coach who is no longer here, and in doing so, cost us 2 more players that could've contributed.

I'm blaming Rex for this. He is the one that wanted these big LBs. Ragland was considered good value at that point and the cost to move up wasn't that expensive. You can always take the best player picked in any round and use them as the example of the guy that you missed out on. The reality is, there are a lot more Duke Williams' in the 4th round than Dak Prescott's. The Bills tried to get a player that they clearly had a 1st round grade on (in large part because of scheme) and they took their shot. If Ragland pans out it was well worth it. I for one didn't love him as a prospect but I've been wrong a lot. Before we decide if it is a good deal or a bad deal we should at least let the guy play a down.

I'm blaming Rex for this. He is the one that wanted these big LBs. Ragland was considered good value at that point and the cost to move up wasn't that expensive. You can always take the best player picked in any round and use them as the example of the guy that you missed out on. The reality is, there are a lot more Duke Williams' in the 4th round than Dak Prescott's. The Bills tried to get a player that they clearly had a 1st round grade on (in large part because of scheme) and they took their shot. If Ragland pans out it was well worth it. I for one didn't love him as a prospect but I've been wrong a lot. Before we decide if it is a good deal or a bad deal we should at least let the guy play a down.

I think that's fair, but the GM who capitulates also shoulders some blame IMO.

I realize Dak was no guarantee to even be taken by our 4th. It's just a perfect demonstration of how sticking to your board and letting the draft play out is the move.

You can afford to go trade crazy when you feel you're a piece away from SB contention. Not when your entire franchise is in flux. IMO.

Edited by FireChan

My understanding was that he had pass/run reads to make for Clemson. Thus, the poor get off was him making the read. There were plenty of plays in which he pinned his ears back and was off the ball with good speed.

As, presumably, so did others on the Clemson front......but he was still consistently the last one off the ball.

I didn't see those plays where he was off the ball with good speed........and there was plenty of video.

Lol!! Are you saying Ragland can't play effectively in a 4-3/nickel base???And let's be real...it cost us ONE 4TH round pick! Edited by BuffAlone