Changes coming to Bills front office?

Well, if you've ever witnessed some exchanges over the years in private venues, you might think differently.

There is a difference between exhibiting one's anger in a private setting than being flummoxed in a public setting because of an anger or intensity issue. It is not an easy task to communicate with the media when things aren't working out as well as possible and especially when there is some discord (some of it philosophical) within the staff.

No doubt it is a challenge to contain oneself when you believe that the roster you put together is not smartly being used by the incompetence of a HC that you not only didn't want but you have little regard for. However, swimming in turbulent waters goes with the responsibilities of the job.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there isnt anything of merit or substance to the report couldnt Whaley place a lawsuit on him? Quite sure that blatantly lying in a teport is against the law.

I worked as a newspaper reporter many years ago.

The only way Doug Whaley could win a lawsuit is by proving libel... Meaning that he would need to show that the false report caused damage to his reputation. As a public figure, this is extremely hard to do. And in this particular story (which only alleges that the Bills are considering replacing him), it doesn't really apply. Not to mention that LaCanfora can just cling to his "anonymous source" and claim he was simply given bad information.

It's unfortunate, but the media in this country can virtually make up any story they want... and 99.99% of the time they will get away with it.

I assume this is related to the freeze-out of certain local reporters?

In a sense, yes, but Whaley's beef predates the Pegulas purchase of the Sabres and the Pegulas play a bigger role in those subsequent events.

There is a difference between exhibiting one's anger in a private setting than being flummoxed in a public setting because of an anger or intensity issue. It is not an easy task to communicate with the media when things aren't working out as well as possible and especially when there is some discord (some of it philosophical) within the staff.

No doubt it is a challenge to contain oneself when you believe that the roster you put together is not smartly being used by the incompetence of a HC that you not only didn't want but you have little regard for. However, swimming in turbulent waters goes with the responsibilities of the job.

I fully understand the difference. I don't think Whaley does often enough. He lets that preexisting contempt get in the way of his articulation too often at times, imo.

The hatred of the Buffalo media isn't limited to just Whaley. The entire Bills & Sabres organization has made it a point to distance themselves from these clowns. The Buffalo News has made enemies with the owners. Mike Harrington attacking Lauren Hall of all people shows how petty these people are. I don't take Whaley's defensive nature as a deterrent. They obviously have a plan on how they'll handle things going forward. LaConfora has been in lockstep with what Jimmy Sexton etc...has been feeding him.

The hatred of the Buffalo media isn't limited to just Whaley. The entire Bills & Sabres organization has made it a point to distance themselves from these clowns. The Buffalo News has made enemies with the owners. Mike Harrington attacking Lauren Hall of all people shows how petty these people are. I don't take Whaley's defensive nature as a deterrent. They obviously have a plan on how they'll handle things going forward. LaConfora has been in lockstep with what Jimmy Sexton etc...has been feeding him.

I think this is true. The freeze out of certain media members is, for want of a better term, a Pegula policy.

Had a sense whaley might no have been in control this off season.

We let go/didn't resign a lot of players from the old regime(s). It's also well documented that TT is not Whaley's guy also isn't a fan of his. Yet, mcdermott wanted him back, at least for this season...

Most good GMs listen to the head coach. He got the players Ryan wanted. Now he gets players for McDermott

The league would not allow someone from one front office moving to another front office at this time because of a conflict of issue considerations. This scenario is already in play with the Redskins. They let their GM go under unclear circumstances but can't hire another GM or personnel person from another organization at this time. They can do it later but not now. Their in-house staff is handling the draft and free agency and at a later time someone else would be brought it.

Well there's this. Wawrow thinks it means something...

The Bills aren't planning to have a pre-draft luncheon w/GM Doug Whaley and scouts this year. Sean McDermott will answer questions on Apr 20

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well there's this. Wawrow thinks it means something...

45]

mVnfJB81_bigger.jpgSal Capaccio Verified account @SalSports

Follow

More

The Bills aren't planning to have a pre-draft luncheon w/GM Doug Whaley and scouts this year. Sean McDermott will answer questions on Apr 20

one can only hope our poor drafting GM who isnt honest with his players is replaced by a capable GM that is a man of integrity.

Wawrow with a "hmmmmmm" tweet:

John Wawrow Retweeted Harry Kozlowski

No #Bills coach in my 17 years here has ever handled the pre-draft luncheon alone.

Sounds kind of like the situation in DC, where Scott didn't even attend the combine. Though obviously this is a less important event

I am still more of a Whaley fan than most but if the Pegulas have decided McDermott is their guy and they are going to stick with him for 4 or 5 years and try and build then they should absolutely build a structure around him that he is comfortable with.