Favorite Underrated Musicians

Another Fan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a big ska fan in high school, my first thought was Tom Kalnoky from Catch-22, Streetlight Manifesto, and Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. Great singer/songwriter.

John Butler from the John Butler Trio. Dude is a hell of a guitar player and singer/songwriter and it seems like not many people in the U.S. know who he is.

As a big ska fan in high school, my first thought was Tom Kalnoky from Catch-22, Streetlight Manifesto, and Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. Great singer/songwriter.

John Butler from the John Butler Trio. Dude is a hell of a guitar player and singer/songwriter and it seems like not many people in the U.S. know who he is.

Good to see ska continues, it came roaring back for my high school years in the early 1980s.

Great sound. Looks like that guitar has been through hell.

What is strange is why is the guitar missing a string?

Also, I think the Bare Naked Ladies are underrated musicians.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

'In Too Deep' is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works better within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Don't just stare at it, eat it!

I'll go with Mark Knopfler. The guy gets some recognition but I think him and Dire Straits are still not in the R&R HOF.

Great sound. Looks like that guitar has been through hell.

What is strange is why is the guitar missing a string?

Also, I think the Bare Naked Ladies are underrated musicians.

Not quite sure why he removes that string but it is intentional. He plays quite a few songs with his 12 string...or in this case, his 11 string. He used to busk in Australia which is where he started that song, and it's gone through a transformation throughout the years. Still gives me the feels every time I hear it.

Don't just stare at it, eat it!

I'll go with Mark Knopfler. The guy gets some recognition but I think him and Dire Straits are still not in the R&R HOF.

Great call. Knopfler is easily, in my opinion, one of the greatest guitarists ever.

I'll go with Todd Rundgren & Gordon Lightfoot. Underrated only in the sense that they haven't been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Any others people think are underrated?

Utopia was an excellent LP and I happened to see Todd Rundgren at the Dome Arena way way back in the day.

1977 Singring and the Glass Guitar