Patriots build Superbowl team, Bills stay the same!

Honestly, this is like the 4th or 5th Pats got better, Bills still suck threads in the past week. I've always been more of a lurker than a poster (though I've been around here a long time) and I am definitely not a thread police, but seriously, why not just add this to one of those other 4 or 5 threads?

Besides, you may not think the Bills have gotten any better, but you can't say they've stayed the same. We have an entirely new coaching staff and we have let guys go and signed quite a few new guys. You may not like the moves, but we are not the same.

And finally, screw the Patriots...let's build a tougher, more disciplined and accountable team (as McDermott wants) and try and take it to the Pats next year.

Edited by folz

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New England Key Losses:

TE martellus Bennett(packers), CB logan ryan(titans), DE jabal sheard(colts), DE chris long, LB barkevious mingo(colts), OT Sebastian vollmer(released)

still to come ?? amemdola, jimmy garappolo, Malcom butler, lagarrette blount, WR Michael floyd

already traded away their 1st & 3rd round picks

Looking at the Pats moves, they are unusually short term and not necessarily upgrades.

TE: Dwayne Allen is a good player but not an upgrade to Martellus Bennett.

WR: Cooks will stretch the field better than any WR but it's clear that Gronk has long term injury issues and may never be able to be the dynamic player he was before.

Pass Rush: Kony Ealy on a 1 yr prove it deal is not an upgrade to Chris Long/J.Sheard. Their best pass rusher will continue to be Flowers.

CB: Gilmore is an upgrade to L.Ryan and a solid #1 CB. If they let Butler walk in the near future then this is a downgrade in coverage because Butler could cover just about anyone for the Patriots and they will find out that Gilmore is a good player but not that kind of player.

What is unusual for them is that they have a lot of key players with contracts coming up in the next two seasons. These moves look almost like a desperate attempt to give Brady 1 more shot after they realized how lucky they got to beat the Seahawks and Falcons in their last two superbowl wins. Brady may have told them he has 1-2 seasons left max.

The Bills are at a completely different stage and that is building a foundation for consistent future success. They aren't 1-2 players away in free agency but more like 1-2 drafts and structural changes to being competitive in a playoff race.

Let's not compare apples and oranges. The Patriots have earned respect obviously but let's not just automatically assume that everything they do will have the same success they have had in the past either. They really have never made this many splashes in FA in the Belichick era.

New England Key Losses:

TE martellus Bennett(packers), CB logan ryan(titans), DE jabal sheard(colts), DE chris long, LB barkevious mingo(colts), OT Sebastian vollmer(released)

still to come ?? amemdola, jimmy garappolo, Malcom butler, lagarrette blount, WR Michael floyd

The Patriots will not lose Garappolo, they will trade him to Cleveland for multiple draft picks. In comparison we just let Gilmore walk out the door for nothing to the Patriots. This team will never win. If the Bills win seven games this year it could be an accomplishment.

The Bills have been 1-2 drafts and structural changes away from the playoff race since 1999.

Edited by bisonbrigade

They gave up a ton of money and draft picks very unPatriot like. Usually we are the team overspending and wasting draft picks and they are the team signing the solid role players that fit their system. Now it appears its the opposite.

I don't know why people are saying that these moves are " un-patriots like ".....Every single off season, Belichick picks up a few FAs....the only difference this year is the fact that they had way more $ to spend....

Go look at the last 5-6 years and you'll see that it's just part of what they do every year....

I don't know why people are saying that these moves are " un-patriots like ".....Every single off season, Belichick picks up a few FAs....the only difference this year is the fact that they had way more $ to spend....

Go look at the last 5-6 years and you'll see that it's just part of what they do every year....

All we are left with is any harbinger that she is falling apart...

Because very few of their big offseason adds work out. Just look at Chad Ochocinco. He was old but beause he was going to Patriots he was supposed to breakout again. Its the smaller additions that fill a role that works out for Pats. Like Chris Hogan.

Or how about Danny Ameldola... he joined Pats and was supposed to become best slot reciever in the game because he was gonna Tom Brady. Instead it was Edelman who broke out as a late round player.

Point being the big names (aside from Moss) never work out and its always the smaller name players that fill the perfect role that makes the Patriots great

New England Key Losses:

Just a guess on my part, but I think Gronk is seriously hurt. Everyone knows someone who has back issues. No one knows anybody who has completely recovered and is pain free. Dealing away choice picks for decent players speaks more to fixing what they ain't got anymore -IMO.

Just a guess on my part, but I think Gronk is seriously hurt. Everyone knows someone who has back issues. No one knows anybody who has completely recovered and is pain free. Dealing away choice picks for decent players speaks more to fixing what they ain't got anymore -IMO.

Didn't need Gronk to win it all. Getting him back will only make them stronger.

I was doing some research a few weeks ago to identify the top 5 salaries at each position, since that is how the franchise tag tenders for some players is calculated.

In doing so, I noted that the following Bills players have a top 5 salary for 2017 at their respective positions:

DT Marcel Dareus

OL Cordy Glenn

TE Charles Clay

RB LeSean McCoy

Meanwhile, the Patriots at the time had exactly ZERO players with a top 5 salary in 2017 at their respective positions. More specifically, Tom Brady's $14 M cap hit in 2017 saw him ranked 21st at his position. Both Tannehill and Tyrod (prior to the restructure) were bigger cap hit for this season than Brady!

It is hard to compete when New England has this sort of foundation in place and guys on the team willing to drink the kool aide and play for less money to be there. (Even Hightower passed on more money to play for the Jets.) Meanwhile, the Bills have to overpay just to get free agents to come here.

Edited by 2003Contenders

The Patriots get Gilmore, Cooks and Hightower, the Bills resign Tyrod, draft replacement for Gilmore.

New England 14-2, Bills 6-10. What's the point of even watching. Seen this film before.

It's quite easier to improve on an excellent team when you... you know, start off with an excellent team. Success attracts talent. You want top tier FAs to come here and take discounts, convince the FO to cave and win a superbowl, I'm sure they're just holding out on doing that because they don't want to spend the money.

It's quite easier to improve on an excellent team when you... you know, start off with an excellent team. Success attracts talent. You want top tier FAs to come here and take discounts, convince the FO to cave and win a superbowl, I'm sure they're just holding out on doing that because they don't want to spend the money.

The sickening part is that they have an excellent team because they fell arse first into the GOAT QB with a late round flyer.

New England Key Losses:

Lot of meh listed.

The Patriots get Gilmore, Cooks and Hightower, the Bills resign Tyrod, draft replacement for Gilmore.

New England 14-2, Bills 6-10. What's the point of even watching. Seen this film before.

Yep. At least shady will break off some nice runs and Sammy can put together a good season.

They also have a new coaching staff that can immediately elevate a team. I'm excited to see Hughes, K. Williams, and Dareus in a 4-3 defense. Ragland and Watkins will be back for hopefully the entirety of the season (more confident in Ragland). They upgraded safety and kicker with Hyde and Hauschka. They resigned Alexander and Mills. They still have the draft to upgrade their secondary and WR's. All is not lost.

Fair. You are more optimistic than I am though lol

Worse on paper for sure. But if you break it down not that bad. I will just do base offense and defense based on starts last year.

Good chance the offense is better next season. Must find an upgrade to Goodwin.

QB 2016 Taylor, 2017 Taylor SAME

RB 2016 McCoy, 2017 McCoy SAME

FB 2016 Felton, 2017 DiMarco EVEN

WR 2016 Woods, 2017 Watkins UPGRADE

WR 2016 Goodwin, 2017 ????? Not hard to upgrade Goodwin

TE 2016 Clay, 2017 Clay SAME

LT 2016 Glenn, 2017 Glenn SAME

LG 2016 Incognito, 2017 Incognito SAME

C 2016 Wood, 2017 Wood SAME

RG 2016 Miller, 2017 Miller SAME

RT 2016 Mills, 2017 Mills SAME

Defense has major scheme changes and some holes. The Bills have to add a couple speed LBs and find a starting CB.

RE 2016 Hughes, 2017 Hughes SAME

DT 2016 Williams, 2017 Williams SAME

DT 2016 Washington, 2017 Dareus UPGRADE

LE 2016 Alexander/Lawson, 2017 Alexander/Lawson SAME

WOLB 2016 Zach Brown, 2017 ?????

SOLB 2016 Alexander, 2017 Reggie Ragland ROOKIE

MLB 2016 Preston Brown, 2017 Preston Brown SAME

CB 2016 Gilmore, 2017 ?????

CB 2016 Darby, 2017 Darby SAME

S 2016 Graham, 2017 Hyde UPGRADE

S 2016 A lot of players, 2017 Poyer UPGRADE

Worse on paper for sure. But if you break it down not that bad. I will just do base offense and defense based on starts last year.

Good chance the offense is better next season. Must find an upgrade to Goodwin.

QB 2016 Taylor, 2017 Taylor SAME

RB 2016 McCoy, 2017 McCoy SAME

FB 2016 Felton, 2017 DiMarco EVEN

WR 2016 Woods, 2017 Watkins UPGRADE

WR 2016 Goodwin, 2017 ????? Not hard to upgrade Goodwin

TE 2016 Clay, 2017 Clay SAME

LT 2016 Glenn, 2017 Glenn SAME

LG 2016 Incognito, 2017 Incognito SAME

C 2016 Wood, 2017 Wood SAME

RG 2016 Miller, 2017 Miller SAME

RT 2016 Mills, 2017 Mills SAME

Defense has major scheme changes and some holes. The Bills have to add a couple speed LBs and find a starting CB.

RE 2016 Hughes, 2017 Hughes SAME

DT 2016 Williams, 2017 Williams SAME

DT 2016 Washington, 2017 Dareus UPGRADE

LE 2016 Alexander/Lawson, 2017 Alexander/Lawson SAME

WOLB 2016 Zach Brown, 2017 ?????

SOLB 2016 Alexander, 2017 Reggie Ragland ROOKIE

MLB 2016 Preston Brown, 2017 Preston Brown SAME

CB 2016 Gilmore, 2017 ?????

CB 2016 Darby, 2017 Darby SAME

S 2016 Graham, 2017 Hyde UPGRADE

S 2016 A lot of players, 2017 Poyer UPGRADE

The one thing you are missing at is depth though. Every team has injuries including the bills, and the bills cannot cover up injuries well because of the poor drafting over the years. And I don't see them being better than last year. No receivers. No number 1 corner or safety. The d line should be better under McDermott. But overall its hard to think the bills will be better after losing so many players with little depth

Did the Bills get worse? IMO, losing Rex Ryan and his merry band of idiots was more valuable than signing any two unrestricted free agents that were on the market.

I believe they did. Not saying McDermott is worse than rex, but he is unproven/ inexperienced and combined with the fact the bills lost so many players. Hard to see them being better