Direct TV/Amazon/NFL Sunday Ticket Scam

***SCAM ALERT*** For anyone that has Direct TV, there is a scam going around to try and get you to buy a $300 Amazon card and call in with the card info. I received a telemarketing call from a supposed Direct TV representative (my caller ID showed 1-800-531-5000, which is Direct TV's actual phone number). The representative had an Indian accent and his marketing scheme was "Long time customers have been complaining that new Direct TV customers get discounted rates and the NFL Sunday Ticket for free while current customers get nothing, so in order to make up for that, Direct TV is offering loyal customers with a special rate of $59.99 per month which includes all movie channels and the NFL Sunday Ticket for 24 months. You will have to pre-pay for five months at a time, so the first payment will be $300." It sounded reasonable enough, so I said "sure." The person then said "with the offer comes a $100 Visa gift card" and asked to verify my address which he then stated what it was (I didn't tell him, I let him say what it was. He didn't say the house number, just the street address, city, state and zip code). He said he would have to transfer me to another department so they could give me the promotion code for the Visa gift card and they would give me instructions on how to pay. After about two minutes of silence, a different person with an Indian accent comes on and states the same scheme and says it's sponsored by Amazon. This individual stated in order to make the first payment of $300, I would have to purchase a $300 Amazon gift card and call the billing department number (which he provided) at 888-902-2408, ext 1. The individual stated in order to secure the promotion, I needed to call back with the gift card by 9:pm tonight and asked when could I call back? I stated between 8:30-9:pm. This person then gave me the Promotion Code for the gift card which was: DTV-8013-7B. So, that was basically it with the call. Something didn't seem right, so after I hung up, I called Direct TV myself directly and spoke with a representative who stated that there was no such promotion and the billing number that the individual provided (888-902-2408, ext 1) was not a legitimate Direct TV phone number. After I got off the phone with the Direct TV representative, I did some research on this and it turns out this scam has been going around for a while. If you or anyone else receives a call from someone claiming to be a Direct TV representative and they make this same offer, hang up on them immediately and block the number. I'm glad I called and checked, otherwise I would have lost $300.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/01/dear-john-directvamazon-offer-proved-to-be-a-scam/

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-531-5000/11

Thanks for posting Jerry. DTV normally keeps me on the line a minimum of 20 minutes when I make my annual Sunday Ticket call, but if I had to follow all those steps I'm pretty sure I would have hung up out of exhaustion before even getting to step 2.

Score one for the good guys.

Thanks for posting Jerry. DTV normally keeps me on the line a minimum of 20 minutes when I make my annual Sunday Ticket call, but if I had to follow all those steps I'm pretty sure I would have hung up out of exhaustion before even getting to step 2.

Score one for the good guys.

It took me nearly 20 minutes to speak to an actual Direct TV representative tonight, lol.

These idiots have been calling all week so I only answered to see what they wanted so they quit bugging me. I'm glad I didn't fall for the scam.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Yeah thanks JJ. I've been with Directv nearly 20 years and I have complained about the very thing the scam is representing. They would have probably got me if it came from that number.

Edited by Triple Threat

I actually canceled my DTV service last week and have been getting endless calls from a number in San Antonio. I assume it's DTV.

if you like DTV you should take that call. You could end up with new customer rate and Sunday ticket for free. I cancel every May and usually within 48 hours I get a call from retention. I end up with free ticket and new customer rate as well as free dvr.

I've been a DTV customer since '95 -along with various cable services. I have absolutely nothing good to say about their programming, pricing, service nor sustainability in bad weather. I ONLY have it for Sunday Ticket to watch my Bills every week. Given that they haven't had a post-season since the 3rd year I got the pkg, cue DC Tom - I'm an idiot.

Thanks for the heads up, JJ!

I've been a DTV customer since '95 -along with various cable services. I have absolutely nothing good to say about their programming, pricing, service nor sustainability in bad weather. I ONLY have it for Sunday Ticket to watch my Bills every week. Given that they haven't had a post-season since the 3rd year I got the pkg, cue DC Tom - I'm an idiot.

Thanks for the heads up, JJ!

No problem. I echo your sentiments on DTV. I don't want to see anyone get scammed out of $300.

never got any breaks from dtv just high bills and getting screwed around because liked a outta state teams so....yea i wish they would have never got rid of empire sports. arnt the pegs getting a newchannel or something??

I call every 6 motnhs and get my bill cut in half without fail. takes about 10 minutes start to finish. Dont whine and complain, just say I want to speak with customer retention - the most I have paid for the ticket is $140 for the year. I feel bad for the guys who are paying full price.

I actually canceled my DTV service last week and have been getting endless calls from a number in San Antonio. I assume it's DTV.

Promo, how long did it take you to cancel? What kind of hassle should I expect? I have my morning blocked off this Saturday because I know as soon as they know I'm cancelling they will probably put me on hold for a very long time hoping that I won't hold out. This of course after they offer me everything under the sun to stay with them.

I love how people brag about scamming DTV out of the ticket but complain endlessly when someone takes Peg's money.

I don't scam DTV out of the Sunday Ticket. I call and ask for discounts to my programming. They usually say yes and give me enough credits to reduce Sunday ticket to $0 or a reasonable price.

I don't scam DTV out of the Sunday Ticket. I call and ask for discounts to my programming. They usually say yes and give me enough credits to reduce Sunday ticket to $0 or a reasonable price.

Bingo....I was paying upwards of $250 a month and I have had the entire movie and sports packages for 5 years. If you don't call up and ask for a break you're either rich, lazy or stupid....

Promo, how long did it take you to cancel? What kind of hassle should I expect? I have my morning blocked off this Saturday because I know as soon as they know I'm cancelling they will probably put me on hold for a very long time hoping that I won't hold out. This of course after they offer me everything under the sun to stay with them.

Not a big hassle actually, but be prepared for a barrage of please come-back calls.

if you like DTV you should take that call. You could end up with new customer rate and Sunday ticket for free. I cancel every May and usually within 48 hours I get a call from retention. I end up with free ticket and new customer rate as well as free dvr.

Actually I'm done with them. We are mostly mostly cord-cutting. I say mostly because I get my Internet from Comcast and they offered me a bundle deal I couldn't refuse: basic cable package plus HBO for a nickel more than I was paying for just Internet.

Then I signed up for DirecTV Now, their online streaming package with 60 channels for $35/mo. (includes local NBC channel but not others.) It comes with a free Amazon Fire Stick that I've really grown to like.

So I'm swapping $35/mo. for a $121/mo. bill from DirecTV. The only downside is learning to navigate all the remotes and stuff.