3 reasons Bills shouldn't use 10th pick on TE O.J. Howard

pbanach

I agree with the philosophy of building a team from the lines out, but the offensive and defensive lines are two of the Bills strongest units. I would go WR with #1 and secondary with picks #2 and #3.

I disagree, our DLine is getting rough. The only player we can count on is Hughes. Shaq is unproven, Kyle is old and injured and nearly retired. Dareus is talented but always in trouble.

Before shaq, we hadn't spent ANY draft pick on the DLine since 2011.

Our OLine is a little better. But our LG and Center are old and our RT is bad.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand why you would disregard OJ Howard at #10. First off hes the safest pick of all the offensive players in the draft. Second, Clay is always injured and if he goes down our starting TE would be Nick O'Leary who has yet to that hes anything but a backup TE.

Drafting OJ Howard at 10 would be just as impactful as drafting WR Davis or Williams.

You dont draft a TE in the first let alone top ten.

1) No he didnt

2) Straight line speed in shorts is not how you measure game speed. When, if ever do players run in a straight line for 40 yards?

3) And since when does ability and production go to the way side for an effin 40 yard dash time?

1) Yes he did

2) I just said it was one stat, not necessarily a most important one.

3) Production may be dependent on offensive philosophy. Alabama does not throw the ball as much as Clemson for a number of reasons. As far as ability goes, who can say who will be a better future fit. All I'm saying is that OJ would be a very intriguing choice at 10. I am not against it, but could also see the importance of a starting safety or CB. I was under the impression though that Dennisons offense might feature two TEs. OJ would be an intriguing choice if that indeed is the case.

I bet if teams knew how good Gronkowski would be, I think a number of teams would have considered him in the first round, even at 10. Not saying OJ is the next Gronk, but he certainly has many of the same measurables (except OJ probably won't have Brady throwing to him).

Edited by richardb1952

You couldn't put this in the other OJ Howard thread? Why?

1. Because he is click baiting.

2. Because in general, that bit of courtesy and accepted practice seems to have gone out the window here over the last several weeks.

1) Yes he did

2) I just said it was one stat, not necessarily a most important one.

3) Production may be dependent on offensive philosophy. Alabama does not throw the ball as much as Clemson for a number of reasons. As far as ability goes, who can say who will be a better future fit. All I'm saying is that OJ would be a very intriguing choice at 10. I am not against it, but could also see the importance of a starting safety or CB. I was under the impression though that Dennisons offense might feature two TEs. OJ would be an intriguing choice if that indeed is the case.

I bet if teams knew how good Gronkowski would be, I think a number of teams would have considered him in the first round, even at 10. Not saying OJ is the next Gronk, but he certainly has many of the same measurables (except OJ probably won't have Brady throwing to him).

Espn is reporting he ran a 4.49. Even if we stick with the 4.53, OJ ran a 4.50. I'll give you technically those three hundredths matter, but again espn is saying 4.49.

As far as offensive philosophy, clemson was to get it to its playmakers. Kiffin couldn't figure out how to use Howard who saw production drop from last year to this year. So was it philosophy, was it coaching, or was it the speculated desire or lack there of to play ball? The kid has measurables sure, but a lot of players have tested well without the production to go with it and never amounted to anything.

And I'm sorry that's a garbage argument that if teams knew about so and so they would have went higher...

You could say that about

Gates

Graham

Jordan Reed

Witten

Delanie Walker

Rudolph

Ertz

It's like telling me we should over draft a QB cause if we knew Brady was going to be the best of his era he would have went first overall...

That's not how the draft works, nor should you ever base picks off that logic.

The only TE to go in the first who really lived up to the billing was Gonzo who went 13th overall in 1997.

I was not fan of going with Howard at first. However he would give the offense great flexibility.......they could shift from a run to pass to run look easily to get matchup advantages. I would not be in favor of any other TE because they do not offer flexibility.

We are getting peppers with the 10th pick, assuming we can't move back (and maybe even if we do)

There is no way a defensive system like McDermotts works without great, versatile safeties. Strong safety might be his most valued position and peppers is the answer. Wish it was Corey D but it's not gonna be....

We are getting peppers with the 10th pick, assuming we can't move back (and maybe even if we do)

There is no way a defensive system like McDermotts works without great, versatile safeties. Strong safety might be his most valued position and peppers is the answer. Wish it was Corey D but it's not gonna be....

Hyde

For those saying we need to use Clay, to me its obvious he is not the guy we thought he were getting. He does not have supreme athletic ability that Howard would bring. Clay has a chronic knee condition that makes it hard for him to excel. Drafting Howard is kind of equivalent to drafting a WR in terms of receiving talent but also adds the ability to block and add to the run game. Gronk is Bradys best receiver.

I don't know that he is the guy to draft because they should use their rankings and there are other needs but he could make sense to me.

Edited by mattynh

Clay has pretty much been here, what he was in Miami from a production stand point. Only missing four games out of 32 with us, which really isn't bad considering his knees.

That to me says either he didn't take that next step in his career, or having a QB that is one of the worst passers in the league isn't helping.

Can we upgrade from clay? I absolutely think so, however, I don't think spending the 10th overall pick on the position is the way to go.

I'm just wondering why if OJ Howard is such a freak and mismatch, why didn't he have better college production. He was pretty average in terms of production in college. i think he will be a very marginal TE

The storyline isthat Bama did not know how to use him to advantage. With him the issue is not talent, its desire. Never had the intimidating demeanor of a Bama player. I don't care if he has All pro tools. You need the burning will to win to succeed at this level. If he does in fact have it the he is the best TE prospect in years and would not be a bad choice at all at 10 (though prolly not what I would do). If he doesnt have it, he will underform. There will be some top talent on the board at 10 so whatever direction they go we should get a very good player/prospect. As long as the Bills dont surprise everyone by outsmarting themselves. Has been known to happen. Remember Ngata.

OJ could be a healthy Gronk and faster , would take him at 10 for sure.

I've been wanting an elite TE for so long taking Howard at 10 seems like a no brainer to me.

immediate impact and security blanket for Tyrod and an immediate problem for the opposition.

A big problem...

Can we please get more guys on the team that when they catch the ball they will turn upfield and do something with it?

It sure would be nice to have a player that actually has the speed to get downfield (Clay)

and then turn around and hammer people when they catch it (Oleary)

Oh....Howard blocks to (Woods)

Edited by John from Hemet

Can we please get more guys on the team that when they catch the ball they will turn upfield and do something with it?

It sure would be nice to have a player that actually has the speed to get downfield (Clay)

and then turn around and hammer people when they catch it (Oleary)

Oh....Howard blocks to (Woods)

....OR...perhaps a QB that gets them the ball on a regular and consistent basis when open?.....bet they're thrilled running routes and hardly ever seening the ball with this club's inconsistent passing offense....."run or done" will never cut it............