Who's got bees

boyst

I remember Pete or Peter has bees. Anyone else have their own apiary? Finally getting in to it and expanding the homestead. What do you have?

I will begin two hives - with two deep supers per, and will hopefully be able to get at least one medium super of honey this year. I will likely use drone frames in the honey super to get better yield on the honey and wax.

I'll pick up my bees from Brushy Mountain Bee in a few weeks. I may even go with a Nuc when I get them to run 2 1/2 hives.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy of mine has 4 hives in the Philly area, a few more in new Hampshire. I've helped him with the Philly ones. I wish I could do it. It's such a cool and beneficial activity

I remember Pete or Peter has bees. Anyone else have their own apiary? Finally getting in to it and expanding the homestead. What do you have?

I will begin two hives - with two deep supers per, and will hopefully be able to get at least one medium super of honey this year. I will likely use drone frames in the honey super to get better yield on the honey and wax.

I'll pick up my bees from Brushy Mountain Bee in a few weeks. I may even go with a Nuc when I get them to run 2 1/2 hives.

Flow Hive.

i just can't believe a hive would be able to do that, as with many, i'm weary of those hives.

plus, the whole wax moth issue and parasites in the honey.

Buddy of mine has 4 hives in the Philly area, a few more in new Hampshire. I've helped him with the Philly ones. I wish I could do it. It's such a cool and beneficial activity

the bees in central park ny out perform some of the best bee colonies in the country, somehow. i'd be curious to see his crop

My grandfather had a number of them. I still have a number of jars w honey from them. I wish you luck as the bee colony is struggling due to a number of issues.

how old are they? have they crystalized?

Tried them 20yrs ago. Turned out worse than my tomatoes. They lasted a couple months, then they all flew away and never came back.

Next time, call me. I'll catch those bees for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad insects. Not like going down the pond chasin' june bugs and dragonflies. These bees, sting you all over. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your honey, put your business on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I'll find 'em for three grand, but I'll catch 'em, and kill 'em, for ten.

Next time, call me. I'll catch those bees for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad insects. Not like going down the pond chasin' june bugs and dragonflies. These bees, sting you all over. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your honey, put your business on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I'll find 'em for three grand, but I'll catch 'em, and kill 'em, for ten.

:lol:

But are you good enough to make an app that does nails on a chalkboard?

Or do you consider your posts to have that intrinsic quality......

Edited by Simon

i just can't believe a hive would be able to do that, as with many, i'm weary of those hives.

plus, the whole wax moth issue and parasites in the honey.

I've seen one in action and it works pretty well. The guy who had them had four. Two active at any time, the other two he transferred them to so he clean out the others. Can't say I know too much about them, but they sure seemed pretty sweet (pun intended)

How much space does something like this end up requiring?

enoguh to set up a hive and prefer about 3' in front of it so they can easily get in and out of their hive.

they'll go 2+ miles in any direction to get honey and can't be charged with trespassing. they'll go to your neighbors and as far as they need to in order to get food/pollen/water. so, if you only have a 1/4 acre you can still do it. to start a basic hive the first year would cost you $200 for the hive, $100ish for the bees, and $40 for medicine, feed, various costs. During the first year you'll add a few supers to increase broods. By year 2 you'll be able to get at least 1 deep super for for honey.

the average bee (worker - female), in its lifetime is 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey. That is about half a rain drop worth of honey. the worker bee will live 2 weeks until the winter when it can live several months. they make the honey. all workers are female

drones are male bees, they die mating or are expelled from the hive before winter. they fly off away from the hive and just die.

queens will fly 3 miles to mate as to not stand as likely chance of incestuous breeding. queens are made by giving royal jelly to the worker cell larva between days 3 and 5. the earlier the better.

Edited by Boyst62

There's a big urban bee movement going on. Alot of rooftop hives in metro Philly area.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/urban-beekeeping-rising-trend-major-cities/

Interesting! I live in a pretty urban setting so I'm not a candidate but I was definitely curious about how far away from neighbors was required on an academic level

Edited by The Poojer

Interesting! I live in a pretty urban setting so I'm not a candidate but I was definitely curious about how far away from neighbors was required on an academic level

you can do it. You can do it all night long.

Seriously, you could do a small hive. Not sure your Nola laws but I'm sure you could and you'd be successful if you're downtown. The amount of flowers etc there would be great for the bees. For $500 it could be a great hobby and really educational for kids, neighbors etc.

There is a big seminar every spring here in NC, one in pa and one in Washington that is a great first time class. Folks from all over go to it. If you'd like. PM me I'd love to help ya get started. You may also qualify for tax deductions on your property