Building through the draft doesnt seem to be working.

Homer

Number of players still on this team from yearly draft.

2010 zero players still on the team.

2011 one player Dareus

2012 one player Glenn

2013 zero players still on the team

2014 Three players

2015 Three players

2016 Seven players

15 players in 7 years doesnt seem to be very effective. Hopefully this coaching staff will win and stay so we can stop losing our players to scheme changes. Is this the only reason this is ineffective?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Nix was a terrible, terrible GM. Whaley has butchered his drafts so far, but I will admit, Nix and Brandon put him in about as bad of a position as possible.

2011 one player Dareus

2012 one player Glenn

2014 Three players

2015 Three players

2016 Seven players

15 players in 7 years doesnt seem to be very effective. Hopefully this coaching staff will win and stay so we can stop losing our players to scheme changes. Is this the only reason this is ineffective?

Actually it was working just fine till the bills picked a coach that wanted to hammer his square peg into a round hole (no pun intended)

We had a top 5 D......the team was showing all kinds of promise but the offense was lacklusteer

Then

Rex comes in and destroys a top 5 D.....but makes good decisions on his OC and the offensive group (that got hardly any draft help...it mostly went tot he defense) churns out the 7th most points in the league

What would have happened had the tow sides been in sinc? High probablility of playoffs at least.

The player's need to match the offensive and defensive philosophies.....its not the drafting.

Actually it was working just fine till the bills picked a coach that wanted to hammer his square peg into a round hole (no pun intended)

We had a top 5 D......the team was showing all kinds of promise but the offense was lacklusteer

Then

Rex comes in and destroys a top 5 D.....but makes good decisions on his OC and the offensive group (that got hardly any draft help...it mostly went tot he defense) churns out the 7th most points in the league

What would have happened had the tow sides been in sinc? High probablility of playoffs at least.

The player's need to match the offensive and defensive philosophies.....its not the drafting.

Good thing is he left us with Ragland, Lawson and Washington which fit McDermott's system perfectly. If the offense can do what they did last year we have a good chance of being right there for the wild card.

Whaley took over in 2013. Mixed reviews. A few good players. His biggest miss was on QB, but Nix had his hands in that draft too. Overall I think he has done pretty well as a GM when you factor in his trades and moves in FA. We have a decent core group. All we need is the QB and a staff who can bring it all together.

I dislike threads like this that don't look at the 6 year draft success of any other team.

We are bashing without actually knowing if we have anything to actually bash?

Quick look at the 2013 draft for the Pats, of the top 5 picks only 1 guy is currently on their roster, he's a backup SS.

Agree with the above post, nothing to see here.

According to this...http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-buffalo-bills

we have 19 drafted players on the roster+ the 6 or so we'll draft= 25. So roughly half our roster by next season should be of players we drafted.

I would assume that is league average.

Nothing to see here...

I didnt post any practice squad players but even with them i doubt its average.

I dislike threads like this that don't look at the 6 year draft success of any other team.

We are bashing without actually knowing if we have anything to actually bash?

Here is a piece Tim Graham wrote on the matter http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/18/roster-data-shows-bills-gm-doug-whaley-not-building-roster-creating-nfls-biggest-hole/

My take is that Whaley has no plan or vision and just goes out and gets players who fit a scheme of the coach, is definitely more comfortable with FA than the draft, if that's the case Jim Monos should do a heck of alot better evaluating players for Whaley. His trades other than LeSean McCoy aren't very good, people say Jerry Hughes but after his payday the decline has been significant, the trade for RB Bryce Brown was a joke, Whaleys version of a franchise QB so far to me is a big bodied, strong armed, prototype, mobile with accuracy issues which is probably why he wants to part ways with Taylor and why he's in love with guys like Cardale Jones and probably Deshone Kizer. I like his FA pickups but even with Brown/Alexander the tackling was dreadful.

I didnt post any practice squad players but even with them i doubt its average.

Meh, Denver built their SB winning team thru mostly FA.

Giants turned their 32nd ranked 2015 defense into a top 10 unit last year thru FA.

There are a bunch of ways to build a team. The way the system is set up right now is that teams that draft well consistently can't afford to pay all their good players. Bills had to let a bunch of their good draft choices walk over the past 7 years or so (Gilmore/Byrd/Levitre/Woods/Bradham/Searcy/etc.) because they had to pay their other good players, not all of which they drafted (Hughes/McCoy/Clay).

Would we be any better off if we retained our own draft choices instead of re-signing Hughes/McCoy/Clay? Probably not.

Meh, Denver built their SB winning team thru mostly FA.

Giants turned their 32nd ranked 2015 defense into a top 10 unit last year thru FA.

There are a bunch of ways to build a team. The way the system is set up right now is that teams that draft well consistently can't afford to pay all their good players. Bills had to let a bunch of their good draft choices walk over the past 7 years or so (Gilmore/Byrd/Levitre/Woods/Bradham/Searcy/etc.) because they had to pay their other good players, not all of which they drafted (Hughes/McCoy/Clay).

Would we be any better off if we retained our own draft choices instead of re-signing Hughes/McCoy/Clay? Probably not.

Whaley built a hell of a defense, too. Then the Pegulas forced Rex Ryan down his throat.

The Bills should be mainly building through the draft

However that's impossible to do if you keep trading up, giving up 1st rounders, and other draft picks

Though I love watching Sammy play, looking back we should have been trading down every draft

Accumulating even more draft picks

Not trading them away for Bryce Brown, etc, and or for Sammy, and for Ragland, giving away picks

And like 2015 always accumulating comp picks

Its the only way to keep players at reasonable salaries for 4 years and more picks increase your hit ratio

Look I like DW's work, but my biggest criticism is he's too readily giving away our picks and not accumulating more

jc

2011 one player Dareus

2012 one player Glenn

2014 Three players

2015 Three players

2016 Seven players

it would but Whaley sux at it. He does much better with pro prospects which tells me he should go back to his old job of pro talent evaluator. Maybe this Manos guy is being groomed to replace Whaley. I wont be surprised if Pegs makes the move after another ho-hum draft.

...because we are not building thru the draft...Whaley comes from a pro player personnel background...that's why he prefers building through FA instead.

yeah how's that working ??

Nix was a terrible, terrible GM. Whaley has butchered his drafts so far, but I will admit, Nix and Brandon put him in about as bad of a position as possible.

Nix was great at Oline we should bring back as special advisor for that, because Whaley is horrible with them and of course QBs