Ball velocity numbers from Combine are in

BarleyNY

I think we agree that it can be a useful metric, but with all due respect, you're just speculating WRT the training these guys might or might not be getting. I would imagine they are all working on their velocity going into the combine, knowing that scouts will be paying attention to it.

Yeah, of course I'm speculating, and I also speculate that some of th "athlete" qbs get less training than the rest. But don't surprised if this reflects reality. Hard to say,of course,

No the metric is great. The problem is that qbs receive wildly varying training. Measure them 2-3 years into their nfl careers (when they've all received pretty similar training) and then judge. It's a scout's job not just to assess combine velocity, but to project where it might be with the proper training. Velocity in and of itself is hugely important.

Plus it's pretty obvious that 55 is good enough -- the equivalent of a 90-91 mph fastball pitcher who succeeds if he "knows how to pitch." Throwing 60 is like one of those 100 mph throwers - if they can't do other things, they end up as mid game relievers. High velocity isn't necessary, but adequate (ie, good) velocity is an absolute requirement. The final chart told me a lot about Connor Cook, who looks like a far worse thrower than i thought he'd be.

Jeff - in case you missed my edit, see above. I agree that low 50s is a problem. I also think that good enough (55) is good enough if other tools are there.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at that list of the top 25%ile in that article. It's a sad list, some several years into their careers. Velocity didn't help these guys.

You're missing the point. The numbers suggest that being able to throw the ball with a lot of velocity doesn't mean you will succeed in the NFL, but NOT being able to do so means you almost certainly won't. Hence the concern about Watson. Edited by mannc

You're missing the point. The numbers suggest that being able to throw the ball with a lot of velocity doesn't mean you will succeed in the NFL, but NOT being able to do so means you almost certainly won't. Hence the concern about Watson.

Yup - agree 100 percent. Still need to dig deeper, though, and figure out if there is room for improvement. That's the scouts' job, of course.

I agree with this.

He can easily make every NFL throw.

Making the throw and making it with the same speed as a top NFL QB is the issue.

You can draft a baseball pitcher who can "make the throw" to home plate but you might not want to if he throws it at 72 mph.

Making the throw and making it with the same speed as a top NFL QB is the issue.

You can draft a baseball pitcher who can "make the throw" to home plate but you might not want to if he throws it at 72 mph.

I don't buy it. I've watched Deshaun Watson play numerous times and never before have I thought "this guy doesn't have an NFL calibre arm." He can zip the ball all over the field with ease.

Edited by jrober38

I don't buy it. I've watched Deshaun Watson play numerous times and never before have I thought "this guy doesn't have an NFL calibre arm." He can zip the ball all over the field with ease.

Someone told me that Watson throws a flutter ball, not a good spiral a few weeks ago. I thought it odd but seeing the MPH validates that.

Someone told me that Watson throws a flutter ball, not a good spiral a few weeks ago. I thought it odd but seeing the MPH validates that.

Fair enough.

I think there are a lot of reasons to not want Watson. Arm strength isn't one of the major ones.

Fair enough.

I think there are a lot of reasons to not want Watson. Arm strength isn't one of the major ones.

The flutter ball thing was amusing to me but the MPH is a huge red flag. If I wanted to draft him I would look into it to verify the top speed.

Just like a WR can be sick and not run well at the combine.

Watson will never make it in the NFL

Nor would Flutie right?

I think Watson would be well suited for a dome.

Not sure if he can throw through the Lake effect though!

I would think it be in the best interest of the Bills to hit 55+

Edited by Real McCoy

This is comparable to measuring a pitchers velocity in the bullpen. Velocity during a game is much more important and only really matters on certain throws. The fact that Flacco was only measured at 55 mph tells me all I need to know about these measurements. Flacco probably throws with most velocity of any QB since Elway and Favre.

The bullpen comparison is terrible. A pitcher isn't graded on his warm ups, he's graded on pitching live or in a game simulation where he would warm up and then pitch as if he was in a real game. His velocity in those two situations should be the same. What's most concerning about a low velocity at the Combine is that there's no reason a QBs mechanics shouldn't be as perfect as that QB is currently capable of. The more common problem is a great velocity at the Combine where there is no pass rush or distraction due to reading a defense/calling audibles/etc., but seeing a worse velocity in game situations due to a player's mechanics breaking down.

The bullpen comparison is terrible. A pitcher isn't graded on his warm ups, he's graded on pitching live or in a game simulation where he would warm up and then pitch as if he was in a real game. His velocity in those two situations should be the same. What's most concerning about a low velocity at the Combine is that there's no reason a QBs mechanics shouldn't be as perfect as that QB is currently capable of. The more common problem is a great velocity at the Combine where there is no pass rush or distraction due to reading a defense/calling audibles/etc., but seeing a worse velocity in game situations due to a player's mechanics breaking down.

Exactly,

You're missing the point. The numbers suggest that being able to throw the ball with a lot of velocity doesn't mean you will succeed in the NFL, but NOT being able to do so means you almost certainly won't. Hence the concern about Watson.

Throwing too hard and not hard enough means your chance at success are low. throwing somewhere in the middle is good. Not a strong indicator therefore.

What were Brady and Mannings (either one) speeds?