Calm down, breathe, we are fine.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wailing and gnashing of teeth, hearing the lamentations of the women is cracking me up. Relax.

Do I believe Tyrod is the answer, no, but he was our best option RIGHT NOW . We can cut him after next season and its an 8 mill cap hit. That said, I think if anyone can get Tyrod to advance his play at all its Dennison. Tyrod MUST learn to throw with anticipation, use the middle and get rid of the ball in rhythm and on time. 3-5 step drops, roll out, ball gone in 3 seconds tops. Can he? We will see.

Tyrod was are only option and Whaley was backed into a corner.

Defense: Love the front 4 we are fine there. McDermott said teams are playing Nickle about 60% of the time now with all the passing and he only needs really two good LB's. Let it play out, see what he can do.

Shaq is a BIG question mark. Dareus is an idiot move away from a full year suspension. Kyle is old. We only have one or two LBs left.

DB's. We just signed two and drafted a kid last year, plus this draft is so damn DB deep you can get a 2nd round talent in the 4th round. Relax...McDermott has made a probowler out of a low rounder. We will be fine.

We lose a pro bowl CB and bring in 6th rounder drop out of the Browns. Darby took serious step backwards last year. Seymour is a BIG questionmark. A healthy Aaron Williams was much better than Hyde. We have no bench. On average it takes 3 years a for a rookie to make the leap at CB.

OL: I still want more work at RT, but we will see.

We have no one at RT. Groy is a good possibility to walk. No depth left. But we do have three FBs as a second line OL.

WR: Here is the only area I have a concern. We need a true threat opposite Watkins, but in this offense we need guys who can be smart, really good route runners, do well with RAC and be able to adjust routes based on coverage. WR is deep in the draft, and there are very serviceable Free agents out there.

Where is your faith? We have two WRs on the team and both coming off serious injuries. Hunter will be lined up next to Hogan next year.

Right now as it stands I trade down in the first no matter what, twice if we can. By doing that we can still get a 1st round talent at DB or a 1st round talent at WR while grabbing more picks. In the first 3 rounds all I address is WR and CB this year. See what we currently have at LB and change it up next year if need be.

But folks, come on. I love the McDermott hire, I love his defensive system and by it just not being Rex we will greatly improve. On offense we are putting in a proven, damn good system. Let Coach have a couple years to build HIS Team and lets see how it goes.

We had a good system, just an average QB and no WRs. SO we change which takes about 8 games before the team figures out what they are doing.

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKXAAAAJGU4OGE5N2M1LTliZTAtNGFhYi1hNzE1LTJkOGIzMDFiODE3OQ.jpg

Funny how these threads are not only annual now, but take place as someone else noted at free agency (there's still time left to acquire players!) the draft, and of course, in pre-season (they're playing vanilla schemes!).

Remain calm...all is well. :lol:

Soon to be 18 and counting but it's all good. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I'm actually pretty happy with the Bills' moves so far. It looks like they are getting rid of players who's play doesn't match their contracts and it seems like they have been careful not to overspend too much in FA. The analysts are saying the draft is so deep at CB/S that teams will be able to find potential starters in the 3rd/4th rounds so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Bills walk away with two starters at DB in the draft.

2017 might be a rough year because the Bills won't be able to replace Gilmore, Woods, Brown, AW, Graham, Alexander, & Robey in one offseason. But when you look at how the team performed last year, factor in a much tougher schedule this year, a terrible salary cap situation, and a 1st year head coach with new systems to install, it's unlikely 2017 was going to be a great year anyway.

Now the Bills have this year and next year to figure out their QB situation, and as long as they don't go out and spend a lot during the rest of FA, it looks like they could have as much as $70mil+ to spend in FA next year. This team has been kicking some cap problems down the road for a few years now, and this year seems like as good a year as any to get them all out of the way. Maybe that means the team is taking a step backward right now but hopefully it allows them to take three steps forward next year. (And hopefully the team is paying attention to compensatory picks and we're able to get extra 3rd & 4th round picks next year too)

I'm pretty calm, because unlike the last few years, my expectations are in the tank. I had quite a bit of hope for a while, but nah... anything more than 6 wins this year, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully we build a foundation to work from, and can start to actually improve :)

Adam, I agree with you 100% on the 2018 comp picks but where we differ if that I'd like to see some of the cap savings being created spent on a high profile FA this year because right now I see a significant amount of talent leaving and very little arriving in return, Demarco excepted

jc

Lol.

The annual "relax we are fine" thread is a bit early this year. We usually get this after the 2nd or 3rd preseason game when we get blown out.

:lol::lol:

We have NO SAFETYS! lol idk much bout Poyer but our S depth chart scream DOOOMED. whaley better have a trick up his sleeve

17 years of "relax we are fine".... why do others feel the need to try to tell me how to feel about the football team I root for?? I'm not blind, I can see what going on, especially with the tough schedule we have and the big cap hit contracts we can't do anything about. We are clearly in a transition period and that's fine but don't tell me I have to be happy about the garbage plate we're about to witness as the Pats***** reload yet again. I'm willing to suffer another crap season or two I guess cause I have no choice, I'm a Bills fan, it's coded in my DNA by now but I'm sure as hell not just gonna smile and say everything's gonna be all right. It's not and it's clear as day we're in for a long season or two.

The past few years I've gotten good at not allowing myself to become invested in this team until they prove they're more than paper tigers. Make the playoffs and then I'll allow myself to develop expectations beyond .500 football.

Lol.

The annual "relax we are fine" thread is a bit early this year. We usually get this after the 2nd or 3rd preseason game when we get blown out.

It is amazing, but there is absolutely a cycle and pattern to the psyche and commentary of the Bills Fan.

You can tell which of the twelve months it is by the comments.

It's all one big broken record, with 17 tracks on it.

Calm down???? NE is destroying us this off season and the draft hasnt even started... Get ready for year 18 without the playoffs!

Cheers OP. A culture change is needed in this fanbase as much as it is needed at One Bills Drive.

No more fear of the Patriots. Who cares who they are signing? Let's focus on the Bills until we have to play them.

Besides, there is only one way to beat the Patriots and that is to out tough and out compete them (hit them).

That is everything that Coach McDermott is about. How many times have posters said they wish they had a whole team of Kyle Williamses? Well that's what coach wants too. "Kyle has our DNA" (as does Tolbert and Hyde, etc.). Stephone Gilmore does not have that DNA, so you know what? The Patriots can have him and good riddance. Just cause the Hoodie hired him doesn't mean he's going to start tackling and hitting hard. Great cover guy, but lacks toughness. Just because the Patriots bring someone in, doesn't mean they are the best in the league (remember how many people thought Scott Chandler was going to light it up playing with Brady and Gronk?).

I'm glad Tyrod is back. Does he have his weaknesses? Sure, they have been pointed out ad nauseam. But, he's fun to watch (unlike the majority of our QBs over the last 20 years) and I don't think he has hit his ceiling. Every player will tell you they only get better being on the field, so, yes, he's been in the league 6 or 7 years, but he has only started 2. If the FO gets him some quality receivers, and he's not playing with a groin injury, I think he is going to have a big bounce back year in Dennison's system. Don't underestimate coaching.

Our D-line, back in the 4-3, can be the cold front again (just swapping Shaq, and Zo if back, for Mario).

Our O-line is good and if we are able to upgrade from Mills at RT, look out. (I can't imagine they are not going to try and address this as the interest in the RT from Baltimore showed.)

A healthy Sammy will make a huge difference.

The number one running offense may have gotten even better (swapping Tolbert and DiMarco for Felton). Shady and Gilislee are fun as hell to watch too.

Sounds like they are trying to hang on to Zo...which would be great.

Micah Hyde was a great signing. I didn't see a lot of Green Bay's games, but the few I saw, this kid was making plays consistently. And he's just coming into his own.

We upgraded the kicking position. (Despite his missed extra points, he's a better FG kicker and will only take up 1 roster spot.)

I really like the coaching hires from McDermott on down. A lot of experience in winning programs. A lot of teachers. Discipline, toughness, and accountability preached.

There is a lot to like if you take an objective look (and don't constantly compare us to an historically good team who won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls). Yes, we still need a couple of WRs, a couple of corners, a LB or two, a RT, and probably another safety, which is a lot, but free agency isn't over yet and the draft is strong in most of our areas of need with guys that could come in and compete right away. There is always significant turnover with a new coaching staff, ergo the number of positions still to fill.

And what significant FA players have we lost? Robert Woods (would have been nice to keep, but too expensive), Stephone Gilmore (although I'm good with moving on from him), Zach Brown (who they could still resign--if they wanted him and he doesn't get a big offer elsewhere), Aaron Williams (whom I loved, but he only started 8 games over the last 32 and long term health is an issue), Goodwin (who never quite put it all together), Corey Graham (a very solid player, but not great), and Felton (who has already been replaced with equal or better quality). That's 7 guys (but only two or three that I would have liked to see come back). The rest of the FAs were either at the end of their careers (Bush, Harvin, Spikes) or are guys that you can replace with comparable talent for reasonable contracts (or with rookies).

The 17 years of no playoffs has worn me out too guys, but if nothing else, this team will at least be fun to watch (which we haven't been able to say for most of the last 17 years). Shady, Tyrod, and TD Mike running wild. The long ball coming back with a healthy Sammy. Hard hitting, attacking, tackling defense.

I'm not saying we have been hitting all homeruns, but I also don't see what has been so horrible about the way the team has handled this offseason thus far (outside of poor Doug's press conference).

Sure there will probably be some growing pains with a first year coach, but it should at least be exciting football to watch. Call me Pollyanna, Kool-Aid drinker, Homer, or Chris Brown :) But, let's get out of this funk of...look who the Patriots signed, we're never going to win being in the same division, Whaley sucks, Tyrod sucks, the Pegulas suck. And let's start Billeving again! Who knows? The last 17 years has us expecting the same old mediocre (or worse), but what if, just what if, this was like 1986 instead, and the start of something good? It might not be and we might miss the playoffs again, but at least I'll be enjoying the ride.

Ok, have at me (if you bothered to read this ridiculously long post). :beer:

Edited by folz