[closed]Should Have Given Tolbert $$ to Gillislee

The million dollars given to backup Fullback Mike Tolbert would have been much more wisely spent locking up Mike Gillislee. Either by giving him a 2nd round tender for 800K more or using it towards a long term deal with him. When unrestricted free agency settles down I believe Gillislee will be a prime candidate to be poached with a front loaded deal that the Bills would be far better off making sure that doesn't happen than throwing money a million of caproom on a FB2/RB3.

The million dollars given to backup Fullback Mike Tolbert would have been much more wisely spent locking up Mike Gillislee. Either by giving him a 2nd round tender for 800K more or using it towards a long term deal with him. When unrestricted free agency settles down I believe Gillislee will be a prime candidate to be poached with a front loaded deal that the Bills would be far better off making sure that doesn't happen than throwing money a million of caproom on a FB2/RB3.

Wasn't it reported that the team is working to sign him long term? I'd wait a bit before criticizing.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/8/14845410/patriots-bill-belichick-saw-a-strong-downhill-runner-in-bills-restricted-free-agent-mike-gillislee

"His slashing style and 5-foot-11, 219-pound frame bode well between the tackles and also outside of them. And at 26 years old and with just 169 career offensive touches, his NFL odometer remains low.

Those selling points may not be enough to bring Gillislee to Foxborough more than once a year. Having looked on as Hogan departed in a similar capacity, there’s reason to think the Bills won’t let the Patriots call the same play twice.

But on the surface, it’d make sense for Belichick’s side to try."

Wasn't it reported that the team is working to sign him long term? I'd wait a bit before criticizing.

I hope a long term deal is in the works, but I would think the leverage of the 2nd round tender for 800K more would have kept all other teams away. I don't know if a 5th round tender is going to deter anyone from taking a run at him. If nobody shows interest in Gillislee and Whaley saves 800K or they lock him up long term, I will happily eat crow, but i think he is going to garner significant interest.

Maybe they were comfortable enough to match pretty much any offer Gillislee got, and thus if no one offered him a deal then they got him for 1M cheaper for 2017? The FO was apparently looking to sign him longterm anyway.

We have more cap flexibility than last year when the Pats signed Hogan away.

Or they could also sign gillislee too since nothing is stopping them from doing that either making this post completely useless and premature

It's possible that with a 2nd round tender no other team would have tried to sign Gillislee, making it easier to sign him long term. With a 5th round tender, his agent may know that multiple teams will be bidding on him and driving up the price making it more difficult for the Bills to retain him. When you see the Bills pinching pennies for 800K at the risk of losing Gillislee only to see them drop a million bucks on a backup FB then I think it's worth discussing. If the Bills sign Gillislee then yes, this thread becomes useless, until then it's not.

• 1 month later...

When I have more foresight than the current Bills GM, then that is an issue.

Or maybe they signed Tolbert as the contingency plan to possibly losing Gilli?

TD Mike was our short yardage back, Tolbert was signed for that purpose as well..

We'll never know of course but this could've been their plan all along.

Or maybe they signed Tolbert as the contingency plan to possibly losing Gilli?

TD Mike was our short yardage back, Tolbert was signed for that purpose as well..

We'll never know of course but this could've been their plan all along.

Did Tolbert average 5.7 yards a carry the last 2 years and be as dominant in short yardage and goal line like Gillislee? Either the Bills are going to lose TD Mike or waste more money in cap room matching for a situation most saw coming. Either situation reflects poorly on Whaley.

We won't miss him at all, look at Karlos Williams the year before, we'll find someone else. We have the 2nd best OL in the league, he won't be hard to replace.

Then why did Reggie Bush suck so bad? It's not as easy as it seems.

Edited by LabattBlue

We won't miss him at all, look at Karlos Williams the year before, we'll find someone else. We have the 2nd best OL in the league, he won't be hard to replace.

Yeah, I like him a lot but the one thing the Bills are good at is finding rbs. We get a 5th for a guy we picked up off the scrap heap.

I'm shocked NE would pay a RB this much money & give up a draft pick. Seems silly when they could draft one much cheaper.

Then why did Reggie Bush suck so bad? It's not as easy as it seems.

Because Reggie Bush should have retired 5 years ago?

Yeah, I like him a lot but the one thing the Bills are good at is finding rbs. We get a 5th for a guy we picked up off the scrap heap.

I'm shocked NE would pay a RB this much money & give up a draft pick. Seems silly when they could draft one much cheaper.

Because Reggie Bush should have retired 5 years ago?

Then what faith should I faith in a GM who signed Reggie Bush, to finding a decent replacement for Gillislee?

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.