Are we rebuilding?

Yet people are still split on Whaley...

The Bills are where they are because of years of horribly mismanaging the draft for the last 6+ years.

3 guys left out of 35 picks from 2010 to 2013 is all the proof you need to explain why this team hasn't been able to sniff the playoffs; we don't draft well enough, and when we do, we don't lock up enough of our good young players.

People like to divert attention away from our incompetent drafting and focus on the guys Whaley has brought in through Free Agency, but they don't seem to realize that the horrendous contracts we've given to Clay, Hughes, McCoy and Dareus are the biggest reason why we're unable to retain players like Woods and Gilmore.

You cannot survive in the NFL relying on free agency to make up for terrible drafting, yet that's what we've done for years and the result is an unbelievably top heavy roster with no depth and minimal good young talent coming through the ranks.

The 2010 draft was a train wreck. 2013 wasn't far behind. 2014 looks worse and worse each year. 2015 also doesn't look very good.

You can't consistently fail to improve your team through the draft and expect the results on the field to get any better. With the way the cap is set up and how affordable rookie contracts are, you've got to hit on those draft picks and we don't do it well enough.

Edited by jrober38

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what. I'm starting to think that's not the case. I think Kyle is on this team to help the locker room and TT is here on the cheap in the event he can turn into something. If he doesn't get better this year, he's likely cut next year.

Agreed. Kyle has $6.8m reasons to be on this team (not to mention he could possibly have to pay back some of his signing bonus if he retired). Additionally, it seems pretty clear that after the initial stance of no renegotiation, TT and his team realized he had to take a big cut one way or another. Personally, I think the Bills and TT had every intention of moving on from one another until the market for TT spoke.

Not rebuilding, but we certainly aren't looking great so far. Keeping low expectations, hoping that McD can implement a foundation to build on (but will most likely be fired in two years-three years, because that's what we do).

Honestly I think the Bills are being smart. The LBs weren't all that great and the secondary was horrible. The only big loss they've suffered is Woods.

Looks like they are clearing up some cap room and not over paying for players they feel they can replace or may already have replacements for.

Lets see what the offseason ends up looking like.

They better be...the real question is will they be able to beat the pats?

Obviously, no...No chance at all...So really to try and patch up this

team to sell tickets is a joke. I hear all the time people saying this

team is talented, and wow, it's like we've been starved for so long,

we can't even tell the difference between good and bad anymore.

The bills are a one dimensional team...I cant remember a time

this organization managed to do two things right at the same

time. So disgusted. Pats win the superbowl, and have 60 million

to play with, while the bills continue to do what they do best -

sell tickets.

People like to divert attention away from our incompetent drafting and focus on the guys Whaley has brought in through Free Agency, but they don't seem to realize that the horrendous contracts we've given to Clay, Hughes, McCoy and Dareus are the biggest reason why we're unable to retain players like Woods and Gilmore.

I only hate the Clay deal out of those. Hughes and Dareus are cornerstone players and McCoy is this roster's luxury and you are always allowed one.

I think at the cornerstones they had done a good job... Glenn, Dareus, Hughes, Watkins and (until the boneheaded decision to let him walk) Gilmore. We still have to nail the most important spot obviously at Quarterback, but the offensive line as a whole is about right cap $$$s wise. We had until an hour ago two safeties earning too much money for their contribution on the field, we have still carried money from that stupid Harvin deal and their drafting other than the cornerstone guys hasn't been good.

Darby, Preston, John Miller are the only 3 non-cornerstone drafted starters on this roster with the exception of Shaq of whom there is more to come and Reggie Ragland who we haven't seen yet. And who are the depth guys who were drafted? Seymour, Listenbee, Cardale and JWill - who sucks - all from last year. Nick O'Leary from 2015, Kounadjio from 2014 and that is your lot.

They have done a great job on the waiver wire and the bottom end street free agents but you are right that you can't rely on that forever.

Given what we've seen in the last two days (loss of 50% of secondary, starting wr/lb/other), is there any way we aren't entering into a rebuilding situation?

The Bills have been rebuilding since 2000. And are no further ahead today then 17 years ago.

The fullback position looks stacked though. So there's that......

This is a rebuild folks. TT is the bridge QB, but he will sell a few tickets until Bills draft franchise guy. Tolbert was a

street free agent. Hauschka was next man up at Kicker. Nice upgrade at FB :).

I honestly expect this team record wise to be around the same as last year (unless we get an unexpected performance increase at qb) but we are cutting the fat right now to make a push next year I think.

This is a rebuild folks. TT is the bridge QB, but he will sell a few tickets until Bills draft franchise guy. Tolbert was a

street free agent. Hauschka was next man up at Kicker. Nice upgrade at FB :).

If you are rebuilding there was no point in keeping Taylor. You don't pick up his option and let him leave in FA. You then sign a veteran QB to back up Cardale Jones or another rookie QB and feed them to the wolves. If you bottom out great you have a shot at Darnold in 2018 otherwise you find out if one of the young QBs on your team can be that franchise guy.

In addition, aging Vets like Kyle Williams, Corey Graham, McCoy etc.. would already be gone. Plus we would not be active in FA spending significant cap dollars on positions such as K and FB. Bills think they can compete but are looking for players who fit new system.

Edited by billieve420

As to whether we're rebuilding, if we had traded or cut Shady, that would have settled the matter. But we didn't so we're going to try to win with whatever's in town by mid-summer.

It's a great draft for DBs and the Bills could start three rookies in the DB. Not a path for success this year but could be very good in 2018.

WR is a disaster now but could be upgraded quickly.

We're thin everywhere else but not completely empty: pretty good on the O line, shaky on the D line, not sure about LBs (Ragland recovery?), OK at RB if Gillislee comes back. About the same as most other teams.

Draft a WR in round 1. Draft 3 DBs with three out of the next four picks, with a RT the other guy. Pick up a warm body FA QB to back up TT until Jones is ready. Get depth DL and LBs as FA. In 2018, get the QB, new O line and D line talent, and another WR.