Bills tried to sign RT Ricky Wagner; headed to Lions

Deion was a horrible tackler. I've seen Sherman wiff a bunch of times.

The only great CB tackler I can think of is Revis.

Trumaine Johnson, Marcus Peters, Patrick Peterson, Trufant, there are some good tacklers at the position. I think Gilmore's problem was he had not gotten the long term security he was looking for. I expect him to be a more willing tackler after signing his deal.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Deion was a horrible tackler. I've seen Sherman wiff a bunch of times.

The only great CB tackler I can think of is Revis.

Deion was also the best cover corner of all time who had several pick 6's in his career. Trying to justify Gilmore's poor tackling and lack of effort on tackles by bringing up Deion Sanders is ludicrous.

I think Revis island set up unreasonable expectations for Gilmore here in Buffalo. We looked at him like our very own island and expected him to carry the team, and got outraged when he couldn't. I've had more than my fair share to say about Gilmore myself, but he's not nearly as bad as some people make him out to be. If we don't miss him next year it'll be due to a solid draft.

Gilmore is a very. very good CB1. Is he Revis great? No. But if Gilmore so much as allows a catch, he sucks, to some.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2017OT.php

Walter football seems to be the most spot on analysis site to my eyes.

Looking at their list .. and considering Wagner is gone.. I would say Beachum would be my next best RT target based on his age and profile. I think I'd be ok paying him $6 mil.

I think Reiff is overrated.. I wouldn't pay him more than $4 mil/year.

Okung hasn't really played RT.

Edited by Bocephuz

Deion was also the best cover corner of all time who had several pick 6's in his career. Trying to justify Gilmore's poor tackling and lack of effort on tackles by bringing up Deion Sanders is ludicrous.

I'm simply pointing out that one of the best CBs of all time, wasn't a great tackler. To be a good or great CB, seeing as one of the best wasn't, doesn't require the CB to be an amazing tackler. That's not what he's paid for.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Gilmore has made plenty of big hits and tackles in his career. I think you are stuck on the negatives a little too much.

Hogan ain't slow but looking back at a teammate was a bad look. But I think it did come out that the S screwed up on that play right?

I doubt it.

No

Gilmore has made plenty of big hits and tackles in his career. I think you are stuck on the negatives a little too much.

Hogan ain't slow but looking back at a teammate was a bad look. But I think it did come out that the S screwed up on that play right?

I doubt it.

Nope, sorry. Those plays were pure lack of effort. You don't win championships by paying guys like Gilmore $14 million or more per year. I wouldn't give him 10. This will be the worst contract given out this off-season.

Dude, I am sorry but Gilmore costs this team games with his unwillingness to tackle. Flat out, the guy is a kitty. He has the size and ability, but he isn't willing to stick his head in there and make a form tackle. When you have a 3rd and 7 on the opening drive of the home opener against the Jets, they run a bubble screen, Gilmore is right there for the tackle, doesn't put in the effort and the guy gets and easy first down, that is unacceptable. That play was right in front of me about 30 rows up. All he had to do is put in a little effort and slow the WR down and the linebackers would have got there. He was too much of a kitty to make the attempt.

When it's you and the running back and he catches the ball with no momentum, you are right there to make a tackle and you throw a shoulder, that is unacceptable. The running back runs for 40 because you decided to puss out.

When you get burned deep by a slow receiver and turn around before the receiver is in the end zone looking for a teammate to blame, that is unacceptable. Good riddance to Gilmore, we will be better with someone who is isn't as talented but is willing to play a complete game and not blame his teammates when he !@#$s up.

Mark my words, whoever signs him will be talking about cutting him in 2-3 years, the next Jarius Byrd.

I agree that this year, especially, he was a bad tackler and looked to avoid contact. Not making an excuse, but I did notice this much more this year as opposed to years past. I think the contract year had a huge part to play in that. It is what it is, I think after he gets paid what he feels he is worth he will put in the work and play with a chip on his shoulder. No evidence to base this off of just a feeling.

He's not.

What CB in the draft will outplay GIlmore this season? Please tell me.

Trouble is it's not just for this season. There is likely a player in this DB rich draft that is better than Gilmore , and yes may even outplay him this season. You can either overpay for Gilmore or get a quality replacement for far less money in the draft or even a suitable guy in FA . It's just the league market is all.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I'm simply pointing out that one of the best CBs of all time, wasn't a great tackler. To be a good or great CB, seeing as one of the best wasn't, doesn't require the CB to be an amazing tackler. That's not what he's paid for.

He isn't paid to try and tackle a RB on a screen when it is him and the RB alone and no other defender is near the play? You are flat out wrong if you think the coaches don't expect their corners to make tackles or at least attempt to make a real tackle and slow the ball carrier down.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

This is ridiculous. I'm trying to read a thread about RTs. And I have 57 posts about Gillmore to ignore. Can you PLEASE stick the Gillmore posts in their own thread and argue all you want about it there? Leave this thread alone for RTs.

He isn't paid to try and tackle a RB on a screen when it is him and the RB alone and no other defender is near the play? You are flat out wrong if you think the coaches don't expect their corners to make tackles or at least attempt to make a real tackle and slow the ball carrier down.

Are you suggesting Gilmore hasn't made tackles on RBs? Or slow the RB down? This is ridiculous. Linebackers are paid to tackle. Cornerbacks are paid to cover.

Why aren't the best tackling CBs paid the most money? Why is Deion considered one of the best CBs in history considering he wouldn't even attempt to tackle. Surely that would knock him out of on of the greatest.

No

Nope, sorry. Those plays were pure lack of effort. You don't win championships by paying guys like Gilmore $14 million or more per year. I wouldn't give him 10. This will be the worst contract given out this off-season.

We'll see. I doubt it.

Trouble is it's not just for this season. There is likely a player in this DB rich draft that is better than Gilmore , and yes may even outplay him this season. You can either overpay for Gilmore or get a quality replacement for far less money in the draft or even a suitable guy in FA . It's just the league market is all.

They may. I doubt it.

I think we're gonna feel the loss of Gilly.

Are you suggesting Gilmore hasn't made tackles on RBs? Or slow the RB down? This is ridiculous. Linebackers are paid to tackle. Cornerbacks are paid to cover.

Why aren't the best tackling CBs paid the most money? Why is Deion considered one of the best CBs in history considering he wouldn't even attempt to tackle. Surely that would knock him out of on of the greatest.

He doesn't address this.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I think I already explained the Deion angle a few posts ago. The best corners tackle and cover, Gilmore isn't even close to those guys. Please tell me the play in the Dolphins game where Gilmore threw the shoulder would be acceptable to any coach. Sometimes linebackers have to cover to, and actually it is as important in the NFL today as tackling is for them. That is why every team is looking for linebackers that can cover and they get paid the most.

Linebackers are paid to tackle and corners are paid to cover show a complete lack of understanding of how defenses work in today's NFL.

We'll see. I doubt it.

They may. I doubt it.

I think we're gonna feel the loss of Gilly.

He doesn't address this.

Go look about five posts up.

I think I already explained the Deion angle a few posts ago. The best corners tackle and cover, Gilmore isn't even close to those guys. Please tell me the play in the Dolphins game where Gilmore threw the shoulder would be acceptable to any coach. Sometimes linebackers have to cover to, and actually it is as important in the NFL today as tackling is for them. That is why every team is looking for linebackers that can cover and they get paid the most.

Linebackers are paid to tackle and corners are paid to cover show a complete lack of understanding of how defenses work in today's NFL.

Go look about five posts up.

Deion can't be a great CB because he was a notorious poor tackler though.

I'm sorry but no you haven't. Deion Sanders is one of the best CBs to ever play the game. All you said was he was the best cover corner ever and you are saying Gilmore is horrible because he can't tackle. Deion couldn't tackle. Why is he considered one of the best to play the game, if he couldn't tackle?

It doesn't show a complete lack of understanding at all. That is what Deion was paid for. He was paid for covering. Richard Sherman, also not a good tackler, is paid to cover.

If you'd like to talk about how defense work in the NFL today, I'm more than happy to discuss. But why certain payers are paid the way they are is a completely different topic.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Deion can't be a great CB because he was a notorious poor tackler though.

I don't know how I can dumb it down more for you but Deion is the greatest cover corner of all-time. When you have a guy like that shutting down half the field and returning int's for TD's when he gets it, it allows you to do things on defense that you would not normally be able to do. The fact that you can't understand that Deion was light years beyond Gilmore in coverage or that you think there is a threshold you can hit as a coverage corner, then you don't have to worry about tackling makes your opinion not that respectable.

I don't know how I can dumb it down more for you but Deion is the greatest cover corner of all-time. When you have a guy like that shutting down half the field and returning int's for TD's when he gets it, it allows you to do things on defense that you would not normally be able to do. The fact that you can't understand that Deion was light years beyond Gilmore in coverage or that you think there is a threshold you can hit as a coverage corner, then you don't have to worry about tackling makes your opinion not that respectable.

Doesn't Deion hit that threshold?

No one is comparing Deion the player to Gilmore the player.

We are talking about the CB position, which both players play. They both get paid for that position. You are complaining about how much Gilmore is going to get paid. Obviously you understand that Deion got paid because he was an amazing cover corner but admit he can't tackle. You think Gilmore is a bad CB and shouldn't be paid, because he can't tackle and is "kitty". Do you not see the problem with that argument?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Doesn't Deion hit that threshold?

That was a little confusing. Deion was so good at coverage that a coach could forgive his poor tackling because they were able to do things with other players on defense that would give them a distinct advantage. If you think Gilmore is anywhere near that, you are insane.

No one is comparing Deion the player to Gilmore the player.

Actually that is exactly what you are doing.

That was a little confusing. Deion was so good at coverage that a coach could forgive his poor tackling because they were able to do things with other players on defense that would give them a distinct advantage. If you think Gilmore is anywhere near that, you are insane.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Doesn't by definition that make abilities in coverage worth more than tackling?

No it's not. At all.

We are discussing why CBs are paid what they are paid. You seem to think that because Gilmore is a poor tackler, he shouldn't be paid as a good cover corner.

Here's the stats, thanks in advance bandito.

Look at the numbers:

Gilmore stats for the 2016 season: 69 targets, 40 receptions, 627 yards, 2 TDs, 67.7 passer rating against, 42 solo tackles
http://billswire.usa...hought-in-2016/

Article from Ike Taylor on his top 10 CBs in 2016:
http://www.nfl.com/n...n-lands-at-no-1

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks: allowed 44 catches on 85 targets for 624 yards, two TDs, four INTs, 64.0 passer rating against, 38 solo tackles
Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals: allowed 43 catches on 74 targets for 539 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 72.9 passer rating against, 45 solo tackles
Chris Harris Jr., Denver Broncos: allowed 34 catches on 72 targets for 337 yards, three TDs, two INTs, 63.3 passer rating against, 57 solo tackles
Marcus Peters, Kansas City Chiefs: allowed 51 catches on 89 targets for 652 yards, three TDs, six INTs, 63.5 passer rating against, 35 solo tackles
Josh Norman, Washington Redskins: allowed 44 catches on 88 targets for 589 yards, four TDs, three INTs, 72.6 passer rating against, 52 solo tackles
Janoris Jenkins, New York Giants: allowed 37 catches on 81 targets for 425 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 54.8 passer rating against, 44 solo tackles
Adam Jones, Cincinnati Bengals: allowed 47 catches for 76 targets for 482 yards, two TDs, one INT, 83.3 passer rating against, 54 solo tackles
Xavier Rhodes, Minnesota Vikings: allowed 33 catches on 79 targets for 384 yards, two TDs, five INTs, 39.2 passer rating against, 44 solo tackles
Aqib Talib, Denver Broncos: allowed 36 catches on 73 targets for 372 yards, zero TDs, three INTs, 53.3 passer rating against, 32 solo tackles
Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville Jaguars: allowed 48 catches on 90 targets for 703 yards, two TDs, two INTs, 68.0 passer rating against, 55 solo tackles

Summary:

- Gilmore was targeted by opposing QBs fewer times than everyone on that list
- He allowed more yards than everyone on the list save for Ramsey and Peters
- Talib allowed zero TDs, and Gilmore tied with 6 others on the list for 2nd-fewest with 2 TDs allowed
- Gilmore's passer rating allowed was 3.7 points behind Sherman, and better than than those allowed by Patrick Peterson, Josh Norman, Adam Jones, and Jalen Ramsey
- Gilmore had fewer INTs than Peters, and tied with Rhodes for 2nd-most from that list

He made more tackles than Sherman, Talib, Peters.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Yeah that's what I was saying. Doesn't by definition that make abilities in coverage worth more than tackling?

Yea our vastly overestimating Stephon Gilmore's coverage skills. When you are Deion Sanders, Darrell Green etc, you don't have to be the best tackler in the world. The fact that you are bringing up an all time great and comparing him to Gilmore says a lot. Sanders>>>>>>>>Gilmore in coverage. Gilmore doesn't even have to be great at tackling, but the effort isn't even there. He doesn't even slow up receivers when doing so would allow teammates to get there and complete the tackle.

Yea our vastly overestimating Stephon Gilmore's coverage skills. When you are Deion Sanders, Darrell Green etc, you don't have to be the best tackler in the world. The fact that you are bringing up an all time great and comparing him to Gilmore says a lot. Sanders>>>>>>>>Gilmore in coverage. Gilmore doesn't even have to be great at tackling, but the effort isn't even there. He doesn't even slow up receivers when doing so would allow teammates to get there and complete the tackle.

Look at the numbers:

Gilmore stats for the 2016 season: 69 targets, 40 receptions, 627 yards, 2 TDs, 67.7 passer rating against, 42 solo tackles

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks: allowed 44 catches on 85 targets for 624 yards, two TDs, four INTs, 64.0 passer rating against, 38 solo tackles

Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals: allowed 43 catches on 74 targets for 539 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 72.9 passer rating against, 45 solo tackles

Chris Harris Jr., Denver Broncos: allowed 34 catches on 72 targets for 337 yards, three TDs, two INTs, 63.3 passer rating against, 57 solo tackles

Marcus Peters, Kansas City Chiefs: allowed 51 catches on 89 targets for 652 yards, three TDs, six INTs, 63.5 passer rating against, 35 solo tackles

Josh Norman, Washington Redskins: allowed 44 catches on 88 targets for 589 yards, four TDs, three INTs, 72.6 passer rating against, 52 solo tackles

Janoris Jenkins, New York Giants: allowed 37 catches on 81 targets for 425 yards, two TDs, three INTs, 54.8 passer rating against, 44 solo tackles

Adam Jones, Cincinnati Bengals: allowed 47 catches for 76 targets for 482 yards, two TDs, one INT, 83.3 passer rating against, 54 solo tackles

Xavier Rhodes, Minnesota Vikings: allowed 33 catches on 79 targets for 384 yards, two TDs, five INTs, 39.2 passer rating against, 44 solo tackles

Aqib Talib, Denver Broncos: allowed 36 catches on 73 targets for 372 yards, zero TDs, three INTs, 53.3 passer rating against, 32 solo tackles

Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville Jaguars: allowed 48 catches on 90 targets for 703 yards, two TDs, two INTs, 68.0 passer rating against, 55 solo tackles

Summary:

- Talib allowed zero TDs, and Gilmore tied with 6 others on the list for 2nd-fewest with 2 TDs allowed

- Gilmore's passer rating allowed was 3.7 points behind Sherman, and better than than those allowed by Patrick Peterson, Josh Norman, Adam Jones, and Jalen Ramsey

- Gilmore had fewer INTs than Peters, and tied with Rhodes for 2nd-most from that list

See this.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Look at the numbers:

Summary:

Nice try. Number of tackles doesn't matter. Bringing up tackle stats and saying he had more tackles than Sherman shows how wrong you are. Seriously comparing Gilmore to Sherman in terms of tackling lol.

Nice try. Number of tackles doesn't matter. Bringing up tackle stats and saying he had more tackles than Sherman shows how wrong you are. Seriously comparing Gilmore to Sherman in terms of tackling lol.

Bandit also compared him in terms of coverage. They are quite similar.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Bandit also compared him in terms of coverage. They are quite similar.

Okay, keep believing Sherman and Gilmore are comparable corners.

Okay, keep believing Sherman and Gilmore are comparable corners.

Their coverage stats are virtually identical. Sherman also has the benefit of All-Pro safety help, over Gilmore's dead safety in AW and old man Graham

Edited by FireChan

I love Lattimore but you are 100% wrong on Gilmore. He is a loss to this team.

I think Gilmore is a big immediate loss too.........but at the same time I think they'd regret signing him to a long term deal within 2 years.

I wanted a franchise tag used.

He's really good but I just don't trust him in to:

1) keep working on his game after paid

2) fix his tackling issues and subsequently STOP ending up on IR

Gilmore has to be the worst CB tackler in the NFL. He is not a complete CB1 in the NFL. He is so inconsistent. At most he is a CB2. There are some very good CBs in this draft that can easily replace him. The question is will one of the top guys be there at #10 for us.

THAT is a real possibility.

He may compare to Sherman in terms of overall coverage stats..........but Richard Sherman is a fierce hitter and sound tackler when needed.

Sherman took on Felton solo at full speed on 3rd and 1 in that Bills game and damn near stoned him......and got right up and was right back at it.

I don't need a physical corner but if they can't tackle without getting hurt it's a problem.

Their coverage stats are virtually identical. Sherman also has the benefit of All-Pro safety help, over Gilmore's dead safety in AW and old man Graham

Question:

Would you rather trade a third round pick for Sherman and pay him the $11M per year he has in base salary each of the next two years or sign Gilmore for $13M-$14M?

Not a loaded question, I've just heard he might be available.

I think Gilmore is a big immediate loss too.........but at the same time I think they'd regret signing him to a long term deal within 2 years.

I wanted a franchise tag used.

He's really good but I just don't trust him in to:

1) keep working on his game after paid

2) fix his tackling issues and subsequently STOP ending up on IR

THAT is a real possibility.

He may compare to Sherman in terms of overall coverage stats..........but Richard Sherman is a fierce hitter and sound tackler when needed.

Sherman took on Felton solo at full speed on 3rd and 1 in that Bills game and damn near stoned him......and got right up and was right back at it.

I don't need a physical corner but if they can't tackle without getting hurt it's a problem.

Question:

Would you rather trade a third round pick for Sherman and pay him the $11M per year he has in base salary each of the next two years or sign Gilmore for $13M-$14M?

GIlmore.

Sherman ain't all that in the NFL. He has lots of help.

I hate Sherman the person, so I'm biased

Question:

If that were a real possibility then I'd be on the phone now.