Glennon to get $14-$15m / yr

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, "multiple NFL sources" anticipate free agent Mike Glennon landing a deal worth $14-15 million per year.

Remind me again how we're grossly overpaying for Tyrod.

Just because someone else will overpay for bad Quarterbacks doesn't mean we should overpay our average one. See Texans, Houston and Osweiler, Brock.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because someone else will overpay for bad Quarterbacks doesn't mean we should overpay our average one. See Texans, Houston and Osweiler, Brock.

Not someone else. Everyone else. And it does mean we have to do it....or have a terrible QB. It doesn't have to be Taylor but the going rate is the going rate.

Everybody on here wants filet mignon at the price of a McDonalds burger. It ain't happening.

Not someone else. Everyone else. And it does mean we have to do it....or have a terrible QB. It doesn't have to be Taylor but the going rate is the going rate.

Everybody on here wants filet mignon at the price of a McDonalds burger. It ain't happening.

Yeah, but there is some middle ground. You could get a sirloin from Longhorn with some killer sides, a talented dline, and a 22oz beer for the same price.

Yeah, but there is some middle ground. You could get a sirloin from Longhorn with some killer sides, a talented dline, and a 22oz beer for the same price.

Correct. But instead of a slice of decent apple pie afterward, you have to eat the dog poop they serve for dessert and you just puke up the whole dinner anyway.

The law of supply and demand can't be re-peeled no matter how much we'd like.

Nope. I am absolutely okay paying the going rate for someone I think is the long term answer. I have mixed views on paying the going rate for someone I see as purely a bridge Quarterback. Some people think Tyrod is more than a bridge - they think he is a guy you can win with - if you think that you pay the money, no question.

Nope. I am absolutely okay paying the going rate for someone I think is the long term answer. I have mixed views on paying the going rate for someone I see as purely a bridge Quarterback. Some people think Tyrod is more than a bridge - they think he is a guy you can win with - if you think that you pay the money, no question.

You can pay the going rate for a LT answer, a bridge, or a tank. But you are going to pay the going rate.

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, "multiple NFL sources" anticipate free agent Mike Glennon landing a deal worth $14-15 million per year.

Remind me again how we're grossly overpaying for Tyrod.

Only because we haven't had a QB in so long that we had to actually pay market rate for, we don't even know what the market rate is for a QB...I mean backups are getting $7-8 million a year now and they aren't even good!

Probably why bills are intetested in siemian, played as good as some of these guys but doesnt even make a mil per year

Not a huge fan of TT, but there aren't many options if we release him. I do like the idea of Siemian, wasn't awful and has great contract numbers. If TT is gone, let Siemian and Cardale fight it out.

If TT goes and we go into next season without picking up a veteran, we are in full rebuild mode. Looks like it may have been the wrong year to finally get season tickets! :doh:

You can pay the going rate for a LT answer, a bridge, or a tank. But you are going to pay the going rate.

Correct.... the guys being paid $20m a year (which is what TT's contract actually becomes.... in cash terms it is 2 years at $40.5m if they take up the option) are not being paid that as bridge Quarterbacks.

His contract becomes affordable if he sees years 3 and 4...... then the average does come down to around the $16m mark.... but if you are keeping him for 3 or 4 years that demonstrates to me that in some part you see him as more than a bridge. I don't.

Edited by GunnerBill

Only because we haven't had a QB in so long that we had to actually pay market rate for, we don't even know what the market rate is for a QB...I mean backups are getting $7-8 million a year now and they aren't even good!

Exactly. People prefer to talk about the price of steaks at a restaurant as a point of comparison.

Fact is Tyrod isn't making that much, has a small cap hit, and we can release him after three years. I have no idea why people think it's "too expensive", he'll make significantly more on the open market.

People are so out of touch with reality on how much QBs get paid...even bad ones, that it's laughable...almost not even worth having the discussion with them.

Correct.... the guys being paid $20m a year (which is what TT's contract actually becomes.... in cash terms it is 2 years at $40.5m if they take up the option) are not being paid that as bridge Quarterbacks.

His contract becomes affordable if he sees years 3 and 4...... then the average does come down to around the $16m mark.... but if you are keeping him for 3 or 4 years that demonstrates to me that in some part you see him as more than a bridge. I don't.

Let's just call him a bridge for the sake of argument. There are no LT answers available now...there aren't even other bridges other than maybe Cutler. So when there is one bridge available and 6 or so teams who could use a bridge.....what happens to the price of the bridge?

People are so out of touch with reality on how much QBs get paid...even bad ones, that it's laughable...almost not even worth having the discussion with them.

Oh no, I know the market. Don't worry about that. Here are the deals of people who started at some point for their team in 2016 having been signed as bridge guys:

RGIII - 2 years; $15m; $6.75 guaranteed; $7.5m per year

McCown - 3 years; $14m; $6.25m guaranteed; $4.6m per year

Keenum - 2 years; $3.9m; $0m guaranteed; $1.85m per year

Fitzpatrick - 2 years; $12m; $12m guaranteed; $6m per year

Bradford - 2 years; $35m; $22m guaranteed; $17.5m per year

Gabbert - 3 years; $6m; $0.5m guaranteed; $2m per year

So you look at those Quartebacks and say "the only one comparable to Taylor as a player is Bradford". Fine. So let's take Bradford as the top of the "bridge" market. His cap hit per year is in the same ball park as Tyrod.... but his 2 year contract was always designed with an acceptable out after the first year. If the Vikings wanted to cut him now (in a world where poor Teddy B was healthy again) it would save them $14m against the cap and cost them just $4m in dead money.

If that was the Tyrod situation - pay him $17.5m this year and have only $4m dead money if you cut him after 2017 then it would be a no brainer that you take up the option. I've even advocated paying him as much as $20m for 1 year if you could find a way of vastly reducing the dead money associated with a pre-2018 cut. If the Bills cut Tyrod pre-2018 on this contract that is $14.5m in dead cap. It is too much.

So no, once you get below the cap hits per year and properly dig into the contract you find it it not the going rate for a bridge.

EDIT: and I am still not saying that means you have to cut him. But if you don't you are overpaying. There is no question about it. The evidence is there. I have been 50/50 all year, I see the argument both ways..... cutting Tyrod probably means you are worse at Quarterback in 2017 than you were in 15 and 16. I get it. Keeping him makes it another 2 years you are bumbling along with a guy you know is not the long term answer. Neither is a particularly attractive option. My gut says cut ties and try and get your guy in the draft and bring in a Siemian or someone to compete / start initially.

Edited by GunnerBill

No offense, but I'm starting to think that the phrase "long term" is the enemy of reason among Bills fans. This is a short term league, and McDermott WILL be fired if he has successive 4-12 seasons. Nothing is precluding the Bills from paying Taylor his garden variety contractual salary, drafting a qb early, and still managing the cap with relative ease.