Per Carucci, Bills now leaning toward cutting Taylor

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to love the reporting...

The Bills can't seem to make up their mind

When you translate newspeak into regular English it comes out something like this, "Uninformed reporters continue to produce conflicting reports based on mere speculation."

I agree with this overall, but I maintain that what little McD did say after nothing at all for two months, spoke volumes.

Good point, though at the same time I would question McDermott's sanity if he watched that film and came away enamored with the QB and eager to make a 3-4 year investment.

My gut says we're keeping him...

My gut says they're not. I think that by this point, you would have heard at least some positive comments about him from the organization. They have not been forthcoming. I think he's gone, mostly because Whaley simply never, ever believed in him. Time will tell whether Whaley is right. Since I think Manuel and Jones are both weak players, I'm not sanguine about his evaluation chops when it comes to QBs. The evidence we have of Whaley prior to Buffalo is pretty thin, btw. When he was the northeast area scout for Seattle from 1996-98, they didn't draft any qbs. He was a pro scout for Pitt from 1999-2009, and the guy they brought in who turned out to be a moderately nice find given what was expected of him was Tommy Maddox. He was actually alright in 2002 after a pretty sorry career beforehand. He fell back to earth in 2003. As some here will recall, Maddox had a great playoff game against Cleveland in a losing effort - a game in which the legend of Kelly Holcomb was born. He also brought in Charlie Batch, who was a very serviceable backup (but backup only). Batch was in fact the classic backup - a 15 year career, and Pitt went 6-3 in games he started over the years despite very modest stats.

Edited by dave mcbride

Good point, though at the same time I would question McDermott's sanity if he watched that film and came away enamored with the QB and eager to make a 3-4 year investment.

That's just it; he didn't come away from that exhaustive two month analysis enamored. Not even close, imo. Which is why I think it's strictly a question of practicality for them. Won't be popular, but I can understand the thinking.

My gut says they're not. I think that by this point, you would have heard at least some positive comments about him from the organization. They have not been forthcoming. I think he's gone, mostly because Whaley simply never, ever believed in him. Time will tell whether Whaley is right. Since I think Manuel and Jones are both weak players, I'm not sanguine about his evaluation chops when it comes to QBs. The evidence we have of Whaley prior to Buffalo is pretty thin, btw. When he was the northeast area scout for Seattle from 1996-98, they didn't draft any qbs. He was a pro scout for Pitt from 1999-2009, and the guy they brought in who turned out to be a moderately nice find given what was expected of him was Tommy Maddox. He was actually alright in 2002 after a pretty sorry career beforehand. He fell back to earth in 2003. As some here will recall, Maddox had a great playoff game against Cleveland in a losing effort - a game in which the legend of Kelly Holcomb was born. He also brought in Charlie Batch, who was a very serviceable backup (but backup only). Batch was in fact the classic backup - a 15 year career, and Pitt went 6-3 in games he started over the years despite very modest stats.

If McD and his staff want to keep TT, they will. It isn't up to Whaley in the final analysis.

But McD and Co. seem far less than enamored as 2018 posted above.

@sharpfootball

BUF may not do better than Tyrod @ QB in '17 & as @evansilva noted, WR/TE health hasn't helped. But here are some unflattering observations:

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/837691406944698368

These stats back up what half the posters here have observed. Tyrod's numbers hide how awful he is when the game is on the line.

You've got to love the reporting...

The Bills can't seem to make up their mind

When you translate newspeak into regular English it comes out something like this, "Uninformed reporters continue to produce conflicting reports based on mere speculation."

This is what I think too. Nobody really knows except those inside OBD.

this quote... "the sense emerging at the Scouting Combine is that the Bills will move on."

Now we're reporting on the "sense" emerging... says nothing about a Bills source. Just another Caruci speculation piece.

I'll react when an official announcement is made one way or another.

My initial reaction to this is "Stop....Just Stop". (not to you, Yolo, but to Carruci et al).

I've said before, Bills aren't going to make their QB decision in a vacuum unless the plan is to tank. From other players who are staying/trying to be signed I don't think the Bills plan is to tank the season (eg Kyle Williams). So the question is who else is available at QB they think they can sign? And how do they think Taylor compares to whoever that is?

Expect to see an increasing flurry of yes/no/maybe prognosticatios as March 11th approaches.

This (bolded) makes the most sense. I can't see Kyle staying if they were going to tank the team. It just maes no sense. Edited by cd1

If McD and his staff want to keep TT, they will. It isn't up to Whaley in the final analysis.

But McD and Co. seem far less than enamored as 2018 posted above.

I think you're probably right about the coaches' view, but don't deceive yourself: Whaley DEFINITELY has a big say in this. I'm not saying it's determinative, but it's real.

@sharpfootball

BUF may not do better than Tyrod @ QB in '17 & as @evansilva noted, WR/TE health hasn't helped. But here are some unflattering observations:

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/837691406944698368

How can people read something like this and still think this is an "average starter?" I am bewildered. There's bewilderment.

You may have forgotten that the playoffs were absolutely on the line that day.

Ahhh yes I believe the odds were less than 1%.

How can people read something like this and still think this is an "average starter?" I am bewildered. There's bewilderment.

Battered spouse syndrome