Very interesting "Tyrod/Trade/Option" article

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/3/2/14780708/tyrod-taylor-trade-buffalo-bills-doug-whaley-combine-scenario-and-why-bills-may-be-exploring-it

With Garrapolo out. With Glennon signed. Kaepernick is a goofball. Romo still a glass statue....Tyrod appears to be the best option for many teams with high first round picks (Jets, Browns, Niners) in a suspect draft class.

This article is actually put together well and made sense to me. Maybe Doug Whaley and McDermott actually know what they're doing....gaining leverage.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first read this:

"We’re going to exhaust every resource, every avenue, and every option available to us.”

I had two thoughts...

1. McD means what he seems to be saying - that a trade is a possibility a la the article.

2. The Bills are negotiating with Tyrod to restructure his contract. Their only leverage they have is that he wants to remain as the Bills starting QB. So they're not committing to him publicly - even if they've already secretly decided to stick with him regardless.

I lean toward #2.

In either case, McD said what he was schooled to say. His answer was not spontaneous without forethought or prior planning.

Edited by hondo in seattle

It's an interesting idea. I like Tyrod, but if the Browns were to come in and say "We want to start winning now. We want a real option in place while we groom our franchise guy. Here is the 12th or (even 33rd pick) in the draft and a load of cap space." That deserves some consideration.

It's an interesting idea. I like Tyrod, but if the Browns were to come in and say "We want to start winning now. We want a real option in place while we groom our franchise guy. Here is the 12th or (even 33rd pick) in the draft and a load of cap space." That deserves some consideration.

Yeah. It kind of puts us in a good spot from a negotiating standpoint (with both Tyrod/his agent as well as with other teams looking for a Day 1 starter)

i don't think "we want to start winning now" jibes with starting TT behind that OL and with that D but in any case, they have to start spending that federal reserve of a cap at some point.

i don't think "we want to start winning now" jibes with starting TT behind that OL and with that D but in any case, they have to start spending that federal reserve of a cap at some point.

Yeah isn't there a cap minimum that they have to hit?

But it also could be something along the lines of "we don't want to rush a rookie QB in, let's get someone competent who can hold things down for a season or two."

The consensus I'm hearing from the Draftniks is that there isn't any QB who is a locked in Day 1, plug in and play kind of deal. That would give them time.

If Tyrod does get traded then I would love a scenario where the Bills could move up in the 1st rd and get a very early 2nd rd pick as well. IMO what would be ideal is if we traded Tyrod to San Fran and swapped 1st rd picks and also get their 2nd rder as well. With the #2 pick overall I'd like to see the Bills get Jonathan Allen. As far as QB goes I would imagine bundling both 2nd rd picks would get us back into the 1st rd for someone like Mahomes. I would think that the Bills would sign a journeyman QB as well.

First of all they should trade Tyrod. I'm not quite sure why they would just release him if they decide he is not their guy. In fact they should tell the agent to explore trade opportunities. If contract is so friendly and there are so many suitors if he was free -- then some team should be a willing partner. Second is the compensation is not going to be anything significant unless the Bills do this and get some bidding. If Browns do like Tyrod then they would make offer before he gets on market and contract price goes up. That being said if we get the first pick in round 4 that would be a win for Whaley.

I had that thought too. But it does seem like they would be pumping him up a little more publically if they wanted to increase his trade value.

You would think. But when have the Bills ever been savvy enough to pull something like that off?

You would think. But when have the Bills ever been savvy enough to pull something like that off?

well Whaley isn't talking anymore. Neither is Russ. Only voices are McD and the man behind the curtain, Derek Boyko. So we don't know whether they are or aren't. New group.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/01/bills-speaking-one-voice-sean-mcdermotts/

well Whaley isn't talking anymore. Neither is Russ. Only voices are McD and the man behind the curtain, Derek Boyko. So we don't know whether they are or aren't. New group.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/01/bills-speaking-one-voice-sean-mcdermotts/

Yeah, I have to say, I think the Bills are playing this Tyrod thing pretty well, so far. I think the article is spot on and it's not inconceivable that someone would offer the Bills a first-round pick for Tyrod. I think there is almost zero chance he gets released.

I have been saying this. Cleveland should want TT. They have the money and picks to get him some playmaker through the FA and money to fill out around him. I would give them TT and our second round pick for 12. Then I would try and trade down with BOTH our 10th and 12th picks. Start Jones this year, get our cap in better shape for next year.Remember Eagles got a first last year for a middle of the road often injured starter at qb.

The Bills will trade TT or get him at a reduced price. If they get a trade in place with Cleveland, we can go back to TT and say you can play for The brown with the current deal. Or play with us for a 6 year 60 million deal. Either way is good for B-low.

Vic published a piece which says that the Browns, Niners and Jets all have interest in Taylor.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/03/02/browns-49ers-jets-known-interest-taylor/

Vic thinks that it's only if they release him, but you have to think that the Niners or Browns might be willing to pull the trigger to get priority.

Which guy is that?