Yard work- have it done or do you do it yourself?

mead107

Do my own yard work - I'm by myself. I'm like as some others have posted here - like the exercise and it is a bit therapeutic. Takes about 1hr20min to mow complete. Another 15 to trim/ blow. My only bite is in spring and fall when grass really grows. Sometimes it's 3 times in 10 days. The other thing is I don't like how short the lawn services cut the grass. Neighbors have service and they struggle keeping the grass alive and have to water. Had 7 yards of mulch brought in last spring. Got it all down in 2 half days. Not much better than a cold beverage when the job you did yourself is complete. I can understand the time v family argument tho.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't ever get this. even if it is pulling weeds - who in their right mind would rather go watch nonsense tv than just spend time outside leisurely

You're correct. The time I save by hiring out my yardwork isn't spent in front of the TV or computer...it's outside by the pool, golfing, playing tennis...

You're correct. The time I save by hiring out my yardwork isn't spent in front of the TV or computer...it's outside by the pool, golfing, playing tennis...

I can understand this. Especially the disposable income to do so when you do not enjoy it. But I enjoy it and itd be a bit hypocritical to not maintain my landscape, which is rather extensive over an acre containing an orchard, and such - about $45k worth of landscaping.

Any chance you're going to the Durham bulls festival this weekend? I was out at moco for Mardi gras Tuesday.

Edited by Boyst62

We have a pretty small yard so I do everything myself. Mowing and edging usually takes me no longer than 45 minutes. I coach baseball in the spring and football in the fall, so the only times I really hate doing it is during those months when my free time is at a minimum. During the summer it's nice to be outside on a weekend morning.

We've been in our house for almost 4 years and my wife and I are NOT gardeners. All three of our gardens are in worse shape than the year before. We just don't have that knack or enjoyment of it. Our two front gardens aren't THAT bad so we're going to leave them but our largest one in the back is a total war zone. We're thinking about getting rid of it, planting grass on half and making the other half into a vegetable garden which is much more up our alley.

I saw a house that had gravel put over the yard so the owner never had to mow the lawn. That's hardcore pimp right there.

Was it by chance in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area? Seen a few of those in the neighborhood.

I saw a house that had gravel put over the yard so the owner never had to mow the lawn. That's hardcore pimp right there.

My city allows you to get a "wildlife refuge" permit or some such. There's certain criteria that have to be met regarding wildlife habitat, but it ultimately means you can let your yard grow wild.

I hope they put the weed block down first or that will be a B word to maintain in its own right.

My city allows you to get a "wildlife refuge" permit or some such. There's certain criteria that have to be met regarding wildlife habitat, but it ultimately means you can let your yard grow wild.

You know who else had a wild life refuge?

Screen-Shot-2016-05-18-at-6.00.11-PM-290

Edited by /dev/null

You know who else had a wild life refuge?

Screen-Shot-2016-05-18-at-6.00.11-PM-290

Hermann Goering, actually. His estate, Carinhall, was a nature preserve, and he gave himself the title of Reich Hunting Master (yes, literally Reichjaegermeister.)

Little known fact there, Norm...

California has something similar and you'd be surprised how many women here completely misinterpret the term "let your yard grow wild."

When I last owned a home I took immense pride in my lawn and roses. Had 9 massive knockout rose bushes around my back deck. Worth a couple days work a year

bank landlord kick you out

bank landlord kick you out

Or...

Not to pry, but I was thinking this... She got the house.

Good Year for the Roses

"I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick on the cigarettes there in the ashtray

Lyin' cold the way you left 'em, but at least your lips caressed them while

You packed

Or the lip-print on a half-filled cup of coffee that you poured and didn't drink

But at least you thought you wanted it, that's so much more than I can say

For me

What a good year for the roses

Many blooms still linger there

The lawn could stand another mowin'

Funny I don't even care

As you turn to walk away

As the door behind you closes

The only thing I have to say

It's been a good year for the roses

After three full years of marriage, it's the first time that you haven't

Made the bed

I guess the reason we're not talkin', there's so little left to say we

Haven't said

While a million thoughts go racin' through my mind, I find I haven't said a word

From the bedroom the familiar sound of a baby's cryin' goes unheard

What a good year for the roses

Many blooms still linger there

The lawn could stand another mowin'

Funny I don't even care

As you turn to walk away

As the door behind you closes

The only thing I have to say

It's been a good year for the roses"

Hire out. I'm not sure anyone on my street even owns a lawnmower. We have a landscaper for the spring/fall clean-up, and trimming the 20' tall arborvitae (they require scaffolding). I pull my own weeds these days, and I do plant a garden and take care of that myself. :)

Hire out. I'm not sure anyone on my street even owns a lawnmower. We have a landscaper for the spring/fall clean-up, and trimming the 20' tall arborvitae (they require scaffolding). I pull my own weeds these days, and I do plant a garden and take care of that myself. :)

I've tried growing tomatoes several times in Florida and Georgia, and after careful consideration I've decided the farmers market is the place for me. :(