Yard work- have it done or do you do it yourself?

mead107

I've tried growing tomatoes several times in Florida and Georgia, and after careful consideration I've decided the farmers market is the place for me. :(

I've had tremendous success with tomatoes the last few years. On four plants I once counted over 100 tomatoes last year. I'll pick 6-10 ripe ones per day through peak season. I give more away than I eat. One of the best parts of summer for me. I always look forward to that first BLT sandwich of the year!!!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had tremendous success with tomatoes the last few years. On four plants I once counted over 100 tomatoes last year. I'll pick 6-10 ripe ones per day through peak season. I give more away than I eat. One of the best parts of summer for me. I always look forward to that first BLT sandwich of the year!!!

Are you doing that in WNY? I always get bugs and some kind of blight down south, but I know not far from us in FL was a tomato capital. I remember as a kid visiting family friends on Grand Island and they were eating them like apples! A "real" tomato and a "fake" tomato are two different creatures.

Are you doing that in WNY? I always get bugs and some kind of blight down south, but I know not far from us in FL was a tomato capital. I remember as a kid visiting family friends on Grand Island and they were eating them like apples! A "real" tomato and a "fake" tomato are two different creatures.

Tulsa. I haven't had any bugs the last few years - on my tomatoes at least. Squash, on the other hand...no luck at all. Lots of bugs. I don't use pesticide so it is a losing battle.

I tried posting a photo of my tomato plants from last year but the file is too big.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

Tomatoes are tough down here. Years back I tried for about 5yrs straight, each year with more effort to stop the bugs. I tried pesticides (alot. Way too much. Probably took years off my life from the ones that did make it). I tried netting, hanging them upside down, etc. I finally gave up.

Ive been told that in the south, you either have the right spot to do it or not. My neighbor grows them by the bushel and gives me some every year. He does them with biodynamic gardening (i.e, a pile of $hit). Each year he does one plant that yields thousands and is anywhere from 6-10ft.

I've tried growing tomatoes several times in Florida and Georgia, and after careful consideration I've decided the farmers market is the place for me. :(

:( A few years back my tomatoes had a lot of blight (WNY). Last year, however, they produced like mad. I am hoping for a similarly good year this year (we freeze a lot of tomatoes for soups, stews and chili use - no sodium that way).

We are in Florida at the moment (at our condo), and seeing Florida tomatoes in the stores and local markets. Apparently, there is a big push to try and get Florida tomatoes out into the mainstream as an alternative to hot house tomatoes in the winter months.

:( A few years back my tomatoes had a lot of blight (WNY). Last year, however, they produced like mad. I am hoping for a similarly good year this year (we freeze a lot of tomatoes for soups, stews and chili use - no sodium that way).

We are in Florida at the moment (at our condo), and seeing Florida tomatoes in the stores and local markets. Apparently, there is a big push to try and get Florida tomatoes out into the mainstream as an alternative to hot house tomatoes in the winter months.

What has been successful for me: Do not over fertilize, DO prune 2/3 of the leaves, generally neglect them otherwise. A pretty, super green, large bushy plant produces fewer fruit than a spindly, leggy, untamed plant. Edited by BUFFALOKIE