Yard work- have it done or do you do it yourself?

mead107

Weed wacker not good for weeds though. You have to pull them no? Anyway, this time, after all the rain our backyard was getting over run as I hadn't done any weeding in a month or so. We went away for 10 days and my sister in law house/dog sit while we were gone. Lucky for me she loves yard work and when we got back they were all pulled! To bad she lives across the bay or we would have her over more regularly ;)

You married right in at least one way. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any excuse to be outside! I love yard work, love it!

i don't ever get this. even if it is pulling weeds - who in their right mind would rather go watch nonsense tv than just spend time outside leisurely

i don't ever get this. even if it is pulling weeds - who in their right mind would rather go watch nonsense tv than just spend time outside leisurely

My idea of leisurely is sitting outside in the sun having a beer and watching the smoker! Not pulling f'ing weeds all day. Worse yet we back onto a half mile field that always makes sure we have weed seeding blowing in on our lawn. So even in a drought I get a out of control weed situation going on.

Edited by Dante

I enjoy mowing my lawn - there's nothing a like a cold beer immediately following - but since having kids, I pay someone else to do it now. I work a healthy amount of hours, and I found that I was having to mow in the evening or first thing on the weekends. I started to resent having to mow rather than spending that time with my kids, who I may only see a couple of non sleeping hours a day as it is. We also hired someone to come in and clean the house every other week (dusting, mopping, etc). Combined the services cost us less than $200/month and frees us both from a lot of stress. It's well worth it in my opinion.

Edited by DasNootz

I enjoy mowing my lawn - there's nothing a like a cold beer immediately following - but since having kids, I pay someone else to do it now. I work a healthy amount of hours, and I found that I was having to mow in the evening or first thing on the weekends. I started to resent having to mow rather than spending that time with my kids, who I may only see a couple of non sleeping hours a day as it is. We also hired someone to come in and clean the house every other week (dusting, mopping, etc). Combined the services cost us less than $200/month and frees us both from a lot of stress. It's well worth it in my opinion.

My daughter and her husband did the same thing. They work a lot of hours and when they are home they want to spend it with the kids. They have a garden that the kids help dad with.

What do you do ?

What are you plans outside?

I have a wife and she handles yard; if she needs my help she tells me.

My wife is non-conventional; I got her a power saw for our anniversary or maybe it was Valentine's Day.

Your neighbor took a photo of you doing the yard work last year:

That should have been labeled NSFW. :sick:

$70/month? I couldn't find anyone around here to do it for less than twice that.

We need more illegal immigrants in DC.

Ask to borrow some of Labor Secretary.

I used to enjoy the maintenance and LOVED the design and instal. One house we rented a bobcat, scrapped the lot clean and started over putting in over 400 plants, from ground cover to live oaks. It MADE that house and we made a bundle on that one.

Live oak are great, but like mature magnolias, they create a ton of work. Once they get over 100 yrs, they nut twice a year (sound familiar Augie??). They drop leaves twice a year (right now, coincidentially its like a leaf blizzard outside), plus grubs love the roots and moles love the grubs.

But its pretty amazing that mine have been standing for at least 150yrs, made it through hurricanes with almost no damage (Hugo, Floyd, Matthew since Ive been here), and stand about 70ft tall. In those same storms Ive lost all type of water oak, pear, gum, etc.

Live oak are great, but like mature magnolias, they create a ton of work. Once they get over 100 yrs, they nut twice a year (sound familiar Augie??). They drop leaves twice a year (right now, coincidentially its like a leaf blizzard outside), plus grubs love the roots and moles love the grubs.

But its pretty amazing that mine have been standing for at least 150yrs, made it through hurricanes with almost no damage (Hugo, Floyd, Matthew since Ive been here), and stand about 70ft tall. In those same storms Ive lost all type of water oak, pear, gum, etc.

Did you plant them yourself? :)

The ones I planted in the first florida house were small (bought at an Easter Seal auction) and a guy laughed at me riding by on his bike. They are now abasolutely fabulous. The next house we got had Gone With the Wind style live oaks....breathtaking, especially when lit at night! Oh, how I miss that house!

I planted 20 6-foot pine trees in our yard with my father-in-law a few years ago. Each tree must have weighed 100 pounds and the holes we dug with our shovels were deep and through lots of rocky soil. It was probably the hardest day of work in my life. The whole time I was thinking: "why didn't I pay a couple of teenagers $200 to do this?"

PAY THE MAN!

(Or teenage neighbor.)

Edited by Augie