No Franchise Tag for Gilmore

YoloinOhio

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great players get paid.

As I've said, I get why they will likely let him walk, but it makes this team worse by a significant margin.

I do like the depth of the corner class, and I like that it's rife with athletic guys that boast both size and length...that somehow doesn't make me feel better about the prospect of our back 7.

Your standards are low if you consider to be Gilmore great.

Very low.

"Great" might stretch it but he was one of the best players on this team.

I am extremely disappointed they are letting him walk. They better have a solution in mind because Gilmore going leaves a big hole.

Your standards are low if you consider Gilmore to be great.

Very low.

No, your standards are outrageously high if you do not.

Compare his numbers to Sherman.

Nearly identical in 2016--a supposedly bad year for Gilmore.

Fact.

Also, we need only look at what he gets on the open market to see how he's valued around the league.

I'm willing to wager (friendly) that he's a top-5 paid corner once March 12th comes around

Compare his numbers to Sherman.

Nearly identical in 2016--a supposedly bad year for Gilmore.

Also, his 2015 season was deemed pretty decent by most people.

In 2016, gave up less receptions, saw less targets, gave up less yards, less TD's, got more interceptions. Also played 3 more games than in 2015.

Great players get paid.

As I've said, I get why they will likely let him walk, but it makes this team worse by a significant margin.

I do like the depth of the corner class, and I like that it's rife with athletic guys that boast both size and length...that somehow doesn't make me feel better about the prospect of our back 7.

Absolutely. I agree with letting Gilmore go but it makes the Bills defense much weaker. Teams are always looking for a Gilmore. Fans forget what it's like not having a #1 corner.

I agree with not tagging Gilmore, to some degree by picking up his rookie option last year, it was in a sense a tag, and at 11M+ we still could not work out a long term deal, and though he has the potential to be a top 10 CB, he's never had a top 10 year to date, so if it were my money I would absolutely still be offering him 10-12M a year, it appears that is not enough, so best to move on

However it's no guarantee that by losing Gilmore, and or Woods, Zack, Lorenzo that we even get a single compensatory draft pick, because if for every FA you lose, they have to be replaced on the roster, so unless that's a draft pick, or a released player, signing other FA's to replace the FA's you lose nets you no such picks

jc

Gilmore might not be a HOF player, but is Richard Sherman? He might be, someday.

The fact is, though, is that losing Gilmore is going to leave a huge hole in our secondary. Whaley really needs to do a better job of replenishing talent back there in the mid to late rounds of the draft. Good players ARE to be had. Our GM just needs to find them. And we shouldnt be blowing high picks on DB's, not this year, at least.

Edited by Lex Lyon

I'm willing to wager (friendly) that he's a top-5 paid corner once March 12th comes around

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Byrd a top 5 paid safety when he left Buffalo?

Salary doesn't make one great. Neither do stats.

We have a thoughtful, intelligent poster who used to post color coded charts, "proving" that Rex Ryan was a good coach, and that his defense was sound.

The dialogue is great, but I suppose we must agree to disagree wrt Gilmore. I was pissed when they drafted him at 10 and would be perfectly happy to get a 3rd for him as a comp pick.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your standards are low if you consider Gilmore to be great.Very low.

He is a very good player who is leagues better at covering wide receivers than any current Bill. This is a passing league that requires competent cbs, and rookies generally always struggle.

Also, his 2015 season was deemed pretty decent by most people.

In 2016, gave up less receptions, saw less targets, gave up less yards, less TD's, got more interceptions. Also played 3 more games than in 2015.

You are right. The narrative about Gilmore was established with that early Jets game. He didn't even play thst badly -- he covered well, but perfect passes to tall wrs gave him bad numbers. He played quite well after that oversll.

Gilmore has always been a guy who starts the season slow then gets better as the season goes along. Its hard to pay him all that money with so many needs at other positions, but losing him is gonna suck under the teams current structure. With no real solid talent behind him. Hopefully its not Darby roast 2017, this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Byrd a top 5 paid safety when he left Buffalo?

Salary doesn't make one great. Neither do stats.

We have a thoughtful, intelligent poster who used to post color coded charts, "proving" that Rex Ryan was a good coach, and that his defense was sound.

The dialogue is great, but I suppose we must agree to disagree wrt Gilmore. I was pissed when they drafted him at 10 and would be perfectly happy to get a 3rd for him as a comp pick.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I totally get why they will let him walk; my concern is replacing him.

I'm clinging to the idea that this is a corner class that is both top-heavy and deep with athletic guys that have both size and length--zone corners to a tee. Maybe we can get lucky and land a Tankersley/Wilson/Moreau type after day 1 and he'll acquit himself as a rookie...

...but I think it's asking a lot of a GM, coach, and player to step right in for Gilmore

I'm fine with getting a 3rd for Gilmore, but as I pointed out, we won't if DW has to replace our FA's by signing other FA's, the result is no compensatory picks, unless DW signs released players, and or draft picks make the 53 man roster

So by not tagging Gilmore, and or not being able to resign him to a more team friendly contract there is still no automatic guarantee we are getting a 3rd pick back

jc

Edited by wilcoam

"Great" might stretch it but he was one of the best players on this team.

I am extremely disappointed they are letting him walk. They better have a solution in mind because Gilmore going leaves a big hole.

I think, like many, my concern is that McDermott isn't likely to get great results playing zone all day against the Pats........it would seem imperative that they be able to change the gameplan for that key opponent.

So while stocking the secondary with lower valued zone-only corner types might work some of the time.......having matchup guys like Gilmore gives you a lot more flexibility against an opponent with a franchise QB.