Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does NE fit all these players under the cap and we can barely fit our roster?

NE has long refused to overpay any players and has a history of trading good players rather than paying them big$$. Their QB takes less than market rate because he gets kickbacks from the owner and his wife make all the money. Then factor in all of the winnng and they get good players to come as FA after they've made their $$ but just want to win. And the cycle continues. This is the first year I can recall them spending big $$ in FA. That's not been their MO. But TB is 40 and BB nearing retirement. Seems they are spinning big to cement their legacy over the next couple seasons before it all ends.

How does NE fit all these players under the cap and we can barely fit our roster?

They have a ton of cap space. Even with Gilmore and Hightower their cap space remains ABOVE league average. Belicheat's genius lets Kraft add to his billions.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Ugh, I feel worse about Hunter leaving than I did Hogan going to the Pats*. This team really has hot garbage at WR after Sammy , and lack size throughout the corps. No matchup guys in the RZ. Now Hightower goes back to NE. I'm really running out of any inclination to watch the NFL until Brady is gone. It's killed my love of the game. Really hating that

it's ok. with this QB our WRs outside of Watkins are blockers. So it's better to get RBs to play blockers at WR position than wide outs who are afraid of physical contact.

That feels really cheap for him. Maybe next year the Bills chase him to replace Kyle?

It IS cheap for him. The reason teams like ATL, SEA and NE get these players on 1 year prove-it deals is that they can guarantee a winning team on the field, and even more so if the signed player lives up to, or exceeds, expectations. The player banks on themselves being the player they know they are and the team has a lower-risk signing with the ability to greatly increase their chances at a Super Bowl. Buffalo does not have that in the least. The gamble in signing with the Bills is that you bet on both the team and yourself. There just hasn't been a recent history of success.

That feels really cheap for him. Maybe next year the Bills chase him to replace Kyle?

Nah...go get someone that can be more than a decent space-eater.

I'm not a Poe guy; I think he's somewhat overrated. Since he was drafted in 2012, the Chiefs have finished 23rd, 24th, 30th, 16th, and 20th in the NFL in YPC, which tells me that--as a NT--he's clearly not any type of dominating force against the run. Now, that can be mitigated if he's a good interior pass rusher, but 13 career sacks in 5 seasons (6 of which came in an 8-game stretch in 2014) isn't inspiring either.

Good player. Not a guy I want to pay serious money; I'd rather pick up a Javon Hargrave type in the mid rounds of the draft (then again, I'm utterly pompous with regard to what I feel a GM's ability should be in finding talent deep in the draft)

Butler to the Saints sounds like it is getting done today, everything I hear says its for the 32nd pick.

That's a downgrade at CB! Logan Ryan and Butler gone and now Gilmore is in!

So the trade would effectively be Butler and the 103rd pick to NE for Cooks and the 118th pick

So the trade would effectively be Butler and the 103rd pick to NE for Cooks and the 118th pick

Technically not for 118, the Pats lose their highest 4th due to spygate, getting the Saints pick means they lose that pick and get their original pick (#131) back. There was some speculation about trading the Saints pick for a later 4th and change, basically a team gives up a 7th to move up 20 spots in the 4th.

It's the Patriots.

They'll be more then fine.

I don't live in the camp that thinks BB can endure all. This move would couple with the Hightower signing for things I wanted to see happen to hasten their decline. Once Brady's inevitable decline begins it will be harder to mask all their personnel decisions. The secondary took a major step back, Cooks is a deep threat- why trade for this guy? Brady's arm will decline sooner than later, Joe Montana in KC...Brandon Cooks running deep what a waste.

Cowboys have lost:

CB Brandon Carr

S JJ Wilcox

S Barry Church

DT Terrell McClain

DT Jack Crawford

OG Doug Free

CB Morris Claiborne

But... comp picks ya'll

@caplanNFL

#Raiders are expected to sign TE Jared Cook, source said.

Edited by YoloinOhio