Why not Use Transition Tag on Gilmore

Stussy109

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts? Please bandit.

Gilmore was a waste of a draft pick and would be an even bigger waste of a signing. He is not a winner, nor will he ever be. Whaley might be stupid enough to sign him. After all, he did try to re-sign Byrd. If he does sign Gilmore, it will only put the Bills deeper in the cellar of disgrace in which they currently reside.

It is sad, but many Bills Fans have the Stockholm Syndrome. Sure, let's draft a top 10 safety or corner! Let's give a big costly contract to Gilmore!

The Bills didn't lose in spite of players such as Whitner and Gilmore. We are consistent failures BECAUSE of wasting our best resources on so-so players such as these.

Bill, maybe Gilmore isn't as bad as you want him to be. If he was an average G, you'd call the Bills idiots for letting him walk. He is at the absolute worst a top 10 cb, which is one of the most important positions in the NFL.

I know you remain old school in your football philosophy but a good cb in today's NFL is very hard to find. Much harder than say a G. In terms of talented players you should do everything to try and keep, cbs rank behind Qbs, pass rushers, and possibly LTs. Gilmore is a good player even if he doesn't smile or celebrate, which is viewed as a sin here.

Bill, maybe Gilmore isn't as bad as you want him to be. If he was an average G, you'd call the Bills idiots for letting him walk. He is at the absolute worst a top 10 cb, which is one of the most important positions in the NFL.

I know you remain old school in your football philosophy but a good cb in today's NFL is very hard to find. Much harder than say a G. In terms of talented players you should do everything to try and keep, cbs rank behind Qbs, pass rushers, and possibly LTs. Gilmore is a good player even if he doesn't smile or celebrate, which is viewed as a sin here.

That's not what some of are arguing at all and an unfair description.

If you read his quotes and tweets, he seems for one to want all the money, and two does not mind where he gets it from. But being closer to home would be nice ( cough cough)

and i never want to see a player pointing at another player while some one is running away from him for a touchdown. Much less twice.

It is not about that Gilmore is good or not.

He wants to paid at the top of the scale.Which he will.

And i sincerely think he does not want to play for Buffalo.

now reported that Bills will not use tag on him

cuz he sucks

LOLz everyone. just kidding. had to though

That's not what some of are arguing at all and an unfair description.

If you read his quotes and tweets, he seems for one to want all the money, and two does not mind where he gets it from. But being closer to home would be nice ( cough cough)

and i never want to see a player pointing at another player while some one is running away from him for a touchdown. Much less twice.

It is not about that Gilmore is good or not.

He wants to paid at the top of the scale.Which he will.

And i sincerely think he does not want to play for Buffalo.

cuz he sucks

LOLz everyone. just kidding. had to though

1) every football player should be about getting every cent they can. These guys get used and abused and get tossed away the second they aren't important. I have zero problem with that.

2) I love, love, love the Bills. But honest question, why would any player love the Bills? If the Bills were like the Packers or Steelers, Gilmore might be more willing to settle for less. But what player gets excited about being 7-9 every year.

3) Gilmore was hardly the only one complaining about Rex's defense. It sucked and to simple fans, it was making him look bad. The guy rarely showed emotion so you know if must be frustrating when you are looking bad because of a crappy defense and bad communication.

4) if Gilmore played with more emotion like Fred Jackson or Kyle Williams, he would be embraced more by the fans. I do get that but in terms of pure talent and position he plays, he is probably a more valuable player than both of them.

1) without question. That's why i am cool about letting him go. Good for him and his Family et al.

2) i see your point. But lets ask Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Richie I among others about that. But no matter. My point is, that i feel he would kinda like to move on at this point, On this i truly agree.

3) Rex's defense made nearly everyone look bad. And now we will have new and different Defense to look forward to !

4) he is not quite lovable but he really does seem alike nice mellow guy. Likely a great person. His value? I will leave that to the Coaches.

PS and I noticed they did not tag him yet. Not a knock on him BTW. Like i said he will get paid and probably(very likely) perform at high level. Maybe a higher level then he did here to be quite honest C.

:beer:

Edited by 3rdand12

Just search the "shadow" thread on this board...he absolutely belongs in the top 10, and his metrics compare quite well with the Sherman/Peterson/Norman tier.

He's not at Sherman's or Peterson's level. He may be around the 10-15 area, but he definitely ain't top 5.

He's not at Sherman's or Peterson's level. He may be around the 10-15 area, but he definitely ain't top 5.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Sherman isn't a straight up man corner like Gilmore was in Rex's stupid scheme. He also plays in front of one of the greatest safeties combos ever. Much better tackler but if you switched players, I think Sherman drops off a lot in our system last year.

And before last year, Peterson had his critics about him being a true shut down cb.

Honestly, Gilmore is a lot better player than he will ever be given on this board. But you can't pay everyone.

1) without question. That's why i am cool about letting him go. Good for him and his Family et al.

2) i see your point. But lets ask Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Richie I among others about that. But no matter. My point is, that i feel he would kinda like to move on at this point, On this i truly agree.

3) Rex's defense made nearly everyone look bad. And now we will have new and different Defense to look forward to !

4) he is not quite lovable but he really does seem alike nice mellow guy. Likely a great person. His value? I will leave that to the Coaches.

PS and I noticed they did not tag him yet. Not a knock on him BTW. Like i said he will get paid and probably(very likely) perform at high level. Maybe a higher level then he did here to be quite honest C.

:beer:

Can't disagree with any of this 3rd. I hope they have a better plan to replace him than spending another high pick.

I remember the outrage some had at letting Levitre walk, who was a much worse player at a much less important position than Gilmore. The problem wasn't letting him walk but their plan to replace him.

"With the 10th pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Marshon Lattimore, cornerback, Ohio State"

And the carousel keeps going around and around.

And this is my nightmare.

And this is my nightmare.

It's the thing that's infuriated me the most with this franchise over the last 2 decades. Our needs (a QB, a #1-#2 WR, a RT, etc) are never addressed, but we continually use high draft resources on defensive backs only to allow every single one to walk into free agency. It's the definition of insanity. But hey, he can't tackle and we'll get a 3rd round pick as long as we sign no other free agents. :death:

he won't be there at 10 but if he is that's a steal

Or Marlon Humphrey or Sidney Jones, pick your poison.

Honestly i dont care anymore. We have all gone at this no end. who cares where he ranks. CB is SOO scheme/ tech specific these days.

He doesn't play the bail tech. There. He wont have any fun in the Bills newish scheme.

I am not paying him top money, which he deserves (not by me) But he will get it.

What sense would a transition tag make? Another team is going to make him an offer more than what the transition tag is and if we don't match we get nothing in return....waste of a tag if you ask me

What sense would a transition tag make? Another team is going to make him an offer more than what the transition tag is and if we don't match we get nothing in return....waste of a tag if you ask me

Who else are we gonna tag?

I would like to know his ability in zone coverage as opposed to man

If Gilmore is a lousey to average zone coverage guy why spend that money?

Yeah he is simply worth more to a team needing a solid press man. Bad investment for a defense that doesn't require that trait AND with a tight cap situation.

I'll never forget when this dude was drafted. He face was stone. No expression, nothing...

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

1) every football player should be about getting every cent they can. These guys get used and abused and get tossed away the second they aren't important. I have zero problem with that.

2) I love, love, love the Bills. But honest question, why would any player love the Bills? If the Bills were like the Packers or Steelers, Gilmore might be more willing to settle for less. But what player gets excited about being 7-9 every year.

3) Gilmore was hardly the only one complaining about Rex's defense. It sucked and to simple fans, it was making him look bad. The guy rarely showed emotion so you know if must be frustrating when you are looking bad because of a crappy defense and bad communication.

4) if Gilmore played with more emotion like Fred Jackson or Kyle Williams, he would be embraced more by the fans. I do get that but in terms of pure talent and position he plays, he is probably a more valuable player than both of them.

Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson never gave up on plays. Gilmore does. You can be "all about the money," not like playing here, but none of those excuse his lack of desire and quitting on plays.

If our plan is to let Gilmore walk, (most likely resulting in a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018) why not tag him.with the more affordable transition Tage and trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick this year? Similar to what we did with Peerless Price years ago.

More affordable but not all that much more. It was $11.93 mill for CBs last year, and will probably be bumped up into the $12 mill range this year.

If they could trade him, it would be a brilliant move. But that's unlikely to be how it turned out.

With the transition tag Gilmore could go out and arrange a deal with another team and if we didn't match it we'd get nothing in return. With the franchise tag you get two 1sts if that happens. With the transition tag you get nothing. And I don't know for sure, but it's a decent chance you would also lose the supplemental picks. More, we're in cap trouble, so any team offering him a contract could just arrange a big cap hit the first year and there's no way we could match it.

One more problem is that since 2016 if a team uses the transition tag and loses the guy they don't get a comp pick for him in the next year's draft.

Who else are we gonna tag?

Maybe someone next year? Not a big deal maybe but you never know, and even if you tag and rescind, you lose that tag the next year.

Totally agreed, and it frustrates the hell out of me to see the merry-go-round of draft a CB, let him go and draft another one. Drives me nuts.

But I don't think they have a reasonable chance to keep him, particularly if they keep Tyrod. Whaley, through poor cap management over several years has backed us into a corner. We're going to have to cut players it would be better to keep. IMHO Gilmore is one of those guys, especially as he's the most expensive except for Tyrod.

I would love to keep him. I just don't think we have the space to do that and the other things we're going to have to do to field a full roster.

Yep. And imo he wants out under any circumstances.

Good riddance!!!

Where is there any evidence whatsoever that he wants out under any circumstances? There is absolutely none.

Much more likely that the only reason he wants out of Buffalo is that they don't want to pay him the money he can get elsewhere.

Buffalo fans want to believe that every player who leaves wanted out from the beginning. Same with the fan base in every city, it's sour grapes syndrome. "We can't have them, so it was never possible." There are a few who actually did want out, McGahee for example with his Applebees comment, who just didn't like Buffalo. But for the huge majority they just want as much money as they can get and being on a winning team is also a factor, though a much smaller one generally than the money.

Edited by Thurman#1

Would the pro Gilmore guys like paying Bouye a similar contract? It looks like he is on his way out of Houston and we be more than an adequate replacement.

Bouye was outstanding in 2016 but what would worry me a tad about giving him a huge deal is 2016 was a big step forward on his previous performance...... you'd have to do some work to assure yourself that was not a fluke year.