Will the McDermott hiring entice Sammy & others to re-sign?

Tipster19

It seems that the lack of accountability frustrated some key core Bills' players, Sammy being one of them, in the last couple of seasons. By some accounts this is said to be one of McDermott's strengths/virtues. I'm wondering if this will be one of the deciding factors for players like Sammy to stay on as a Bill when their contracts are up.

I actually think it might help sway the depth guys more than it will the superstars. Guys like Lorenzo have talked about accountability being an issue and I'm sure that festered throughout the roster under Rex.

The top guys want the best situation financially but, if you can overwhelm players with your character, you might be able to sway guys that have limited options to come your way.

Passing the ball will.

This. People will say it doesn't matter but it does. Sammy was the best prospect in that WR group and in that stretch at the end of 2015 when the Bills featured him he showed why. They need to build a whole season's worth of passing attack around Sammy Watkins and then show him the money. If they do both he stays.

Sure, we gave up too many assets for a skill position, sunk cost, time to move on. Sammy is talented but he is playing with a QB that can't see the whole field and will limit his production. His is capable for making unbelievable catches, but doesn't have the QB to get him the ball. He might take less money to play with a real QB

Edited by uticaclub

This. People will say it doesn't matter but it does. Sammy was the best prospect in that WR group and in that stretch at the end of 2015 when the Bills featured him he showed why. They need to build a whole season's worth of passing attack around Sammy Watkins and then show him the money. If they do both he stays.

Sammy needs to be around for a whole season...

Having a QB that can make all the throws such as a slant pattern could keep Watkins a Bill. Just a thought.

TT is one of the best 7 on 7 slant throwers of all time!

Dude tends to avoid the congested areas and he needs to stop doing that or he won't be successful more often than not.

It seems that the lack of accountability frustrated some key core Bills' players, Sammy being one of them, in the last couple of seasons. By some accounts this is said to be one of McDermott's strengths/virtues. I'm wondering if this will be one of the deciding factors for players like Sammy to stay on as a Bill when their contracts are up.

Could be....

Sammy had his greatest 8 game stretch with TT.

It is more about his health than the QB. Second it is about the offense as a whole. He needs double digit targets every game. But I don't see him as a 100 cath guy. I see him as more of a 14 TD on 75 receptions type of player. TT, Sammy, and this running game are set up perfectly to force the defense to play the safety to defend the run. Another WR threat will allow multiple single coverage opportunities per game. That is when Sammy needs the ball whether he is covered or not. TT has to start anticipating Sammy will get open or make the catch and just throw it instead of checking down or waiting too long for Sammy to get open resulting in a sack.

Sammy had his greatest 8 game stretch with TT.

It is more about his health than the QB. Second it is about the offense as a whole. He needs double digit targets every game. But I don't see him as a 100 cath guy. I see him as more of a 14 TD on 75 receptions type of player. TT, Sammy, and this running game are set up perfectly to force the defense to play the safety to defend the run. Another WR threat will allow multiple single coverage opportunities per game. That is when Sammy needs the ball whether he is covered or not. TT has to start anticipating Sammy will get open or make the catch and just throw it instead of checking down or waiting too long for Sammy to get open resulting in a sack.

But you're comparing TT to who, EJ? Kyle Orton? Watkins would be insane with a QB that could make every throw. We haven't had that.