Bills look more likely to keep TT - working on restructure

YoloinOhio

I think he's come down on every side of it.

Which may be fair. Maybe the Bills are changing their minds. Or maybe he's hearing new things from Tyrod's agent about willingness to re-negotiate. Hard to know.

Unless he said

Hunh?

Right now he's guaranteed $30.5 mill in the first one year and $40.5 mill in the first two years. And you're saying that the numbers you have there are moving money into the 1st two years of the deal?

That's moving money out of the first two years, isn't it? If I understand you correctly, anyway.

No he's not. He's guaranteed $30.75M over the life of the contract. The $15M bonus is spread out. His first year salary and $3.25M of his year 2 salary becomes guaranteed. That rest of the year 2 salary becomes guaranteed next year.

We need to understand the difference between pay cut and restructure (not you Thurman). There have been a bunch of posts talking about this but without the understanding. The restructure will likely mean the Bills will take bigger cap hits early than his current contract calls for. They will do this to avoid the dead money on the back end. He has been clear that he won't be taking less guaranteed money. It's just changing the years in which the money hits the cap.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod was the least of the Bills problems the last two years.

The defenses plummet from top 5 and Rexs ****ty scheme and coaching were.

Shady and the running backs not named Tyrod were the least of our problems, I think you mean.

TT was a distant 2 from the defense and Rexit.

No he's not. He's guaranteed $30.75M over the life of the contract. The $15M bonus is spread out. His first year salary and $3.25M of his year 2 salary becomes guaranteed. That rest of the year 2 salary becomes guaranteed next year.

We need to understand the difference between pay cut and restructure (not you Thurman). There have been a bunch of posts talking about this but without the understanding. The restructure will likely mean the Bills will take bigger cap hits early than his current contract calls for. They will do this to avoid the dead money on the back end. He has been clear that he won't be taking less guaranteed money. It's just changing the years in which the money hits the cap.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192084-bills-have-2-days-to-trade-ttno-cap-hit/?p=4250835

Kirby, according to that post (which silenced Badol so I'm thinking BarleyNY's facts are good), to cut Tyrod after one more season would cost $30M, to cut him after 2 more years would cost $20M per year.

Do you expect those two figures to go up or down as a result of a restructure?

I think that a restructure is probably moving money into the 1st 2 years of the deal. I am actually changing my tune a little on what I think that I thought. Here is what I am thinking it will look like 4 years $80M (this number is totally meaningless), $32M guaranteed with $28M guaranteed in the 1st 2 years. It will be a sliding scale too. Something like this: $8M signing bonus ($2M cap hit in each of the 4 years), $10M salary year one (fully guaranteed), $8M roster bonus in year one and $6M of his year 2 salary guaranteed.

He already has $40.5 mil guaranteed in his first 2 years if he stays two years - or $30.5 mil guaranteed if he's only here 1 year. Your scenario doesn't add any money in the first 2 years.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192084-bills-have-2-days-to-trade-ttno-cap-hit/?p=4250835

Kirby, according to that post (which silenced Badol so I'm thinking BarleyNY's facts are good), to cut Tyrod after one more season would cost $30M, to cut him after 2 more years would cost $20M per year.

Do you expect those two figures to go up or down as a result of a restructure?

If they cut him after year 2 now it is something like $10M in dead money. I think that they would try to push that into the 1st 2 years.

He already has $40.5 mil guaranteed in his first 2 years if he stays two years - or $30.5 mil guaranteed if he's only here 1 year. Your scenario doesn't add any money in the first 2 years.

It does because you pay him the year 2 salary if you keep him 2 years. In the scenario that I posted you are guaranteeing a PORTION ($6M) of his year 2 salary up front. You almost certainly keep him but don't have to at that point. You'd have roughly $12m dead cap hit if you just kept him one year (and $4m after 2 years). This all assumes that my math is right. Edited by Kirby Jackson

If they don't cut him in next 2 weeks, Bills are absolutely committing to Taylor as the starter for the next 2 years. $30m for 1 year is absurd to even the most ardent Tyrod supporter.

I don't think that anyone is advocating $30M a year. If they keep him though they will be guaranteeing that $30.75M. The talk is about the implications. I'm suggesting that they push that hit into years 1-2 so that they can walk without the dead money.

Tyrod had a lot to do with that...

The defense had a lot to do with losses to miami (x2 - 28/34 Points allowed and a 200 yard rusher in both games), seattle (big plays, terrible officiating (cost us 3) - in a game where we would've kicked for OT, and a terrible punting effort probably cost us in this one - 32.7 yards per punt long of 36 and a 22 yard return), and NYJ (Fitz 374, and a 100 yard rusher). Win a couple of those and we're in the playoffs - we also don't bench tyrod for a Jets game if it has any meaning.

Edited by dneveu

Exactly. This situation has reached, "wait till it happens," status.

This...I mean every week its a story that contradicts the previous weeks story. At this point, its anyones guess...I don't think any of these stories about keeping him or moving on have much merit in them and are all just built on speculative opinion.

Personally, I do still think its most likely he stays unless we somehow are in play for say Cousins. I just can't see Pegs or Whaley throwing in the towel and going full rebuild with this QB draft class, especially coming off one of the highest scoring Bills seasons in history. None of the top 4 guys have a "must draft" label on them IMO.

Keep TT and take one of the big 2 WRs at 10, or a stud guy in our secondary, or possibly Foster. My personal preference if we keep TT is not to take a QB in first 3 rounds, just rather invest in a offensive playmaker and help on the D. But, if Whaley still really wants to grab a QB, with TT here, he can then wait and see who slides and grab one in the 2nd or preferably 3rd and then grab a guy like Chad Kelly late or as UDFA to put two more young prospects to compete with Cardale behind TT. And see if TT can hold the job or if one of the young guys can develop and take the job over in a season or two.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This...I mean every week its a story that contradicts the previous weeks story. At this point, its anyones guess...I don't think any of these stories about keeping him or moving on have much merit in them and are all just built on speculative opinion.

Personally, I do still think its most likely he stays unless we somehow are in play for say Cousins. I just can't see Pegs or Whaley throwing in the towel and going full rebuild with this QB draft class, especially coming off one of the highest scoring Bills seasons in history. None of the top 4 guys have a "must draft" label on them IMO.

Keep TT and take one of the big 2 WRs at 10, or a stud guy in our secondary, or possibly Foster. My personal preference if we keep TT is not to take a QB in first 3 rounds, just rather invest in a offensive playmaker and help on the D. But, if Whaley still really wants to grab a QB, with TT here, he can then wait and see who slides and grab one in the 2nd or preferably 3rd and then grab a guy like Chad Kelly late or as UDFA to put two more young prospects to compete with Cardale behind TT. And see if TT can hold the job or if one of the young guys can develop and take the job over in a season or two.

Lol @full rebuild if Mr 7-9 leaves town.