Addressing WR2 and WR3 this Offseason

Hyphe23

Given that we have Woods, Goodwin and Hunter all going to FA I am trying to figure out how we address WR this offseason. I know a lot of people are saying QB in the first round, which would seem to rule out WRs like Davis, Williams and Ross in the draft, so I'm wondering how would people address WR through FA and the draft.

Edited by Hyphe23

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well other Rounds. Say 2nd or third for your replacement for Woods.

Watkins - Still here

WR2 ??

Goodwin Replacement --- Listenbee

Hunter (can get re-signed cheap)

Walt Powell actually looked pretty decent with crisp routes when he got the chance.

Look no further than the SB what WRs do when the QB situation is fixed.

Gabriel was a mid round pick this year and CUT as a rookie lands in ATL with a top end QB and book a very dynamic WR....

Why this need to take a WR2 or WR3 in the 1st round?

Edited by MAJBobby

Thanks for your reply. I know everyone has different opinions on Tyrod, but I would keep Tyrod and go WR in the first. Here's the rest of what I would do:

WR1: Watkins

WR2: Corey Davis (1st Rounder)

WR3: Cooper Kupp (3rd Rounder) if hes gone Zay Jones or JuJu Smith-Schuster

WR4: Listenbee

WR5: Re-sign Justin Hunter

WR6: Walt Powell

Personally I think Tyrod could succeed with these weapons and I think that there are CB and Safety options in FA that McDermott could make work.

Thanks for your reply. I know everyone has different opinions on Tyrod, but I would keep Tyrod and go WR in the first. Here's the rest of what I would do:

Personally I think Tyrod could succeed with these weapons and I think that there are CB and Safety options in FA that McDermott could make work.

That isn't too far off for me. I like the option of Davis / Williams at 10 and Jeremy Kerley in FA to play the slot. I would re-sign Hunter as the 4 and use him in the RZ. I would use Listenbee outside of the RZ.

I just do not see the logic in getting WRs for a QB that just doesnt throw

I wouldn't mind keeping Woods, I've heard he could get up to $7 mil per though and that just seems like too much with all of our needs and our cap situation though.

He will get something like what Sanu got. I know that everyone likes Woods but he's a JAG to me. He is okay and will go somewhere and be okay. You can get his level of production (or more in the case of Davis / Williams) for less money. Woods doesn't have a skill that differentiates him besides for toughness. He an okay NFL receiver.

Cordarelle Patterson is an interesting FA option. Good special teamer too. Young.

He would have made a lot of sense as a 3rd-4th WR option with Lynn and Taylor both returning.

He's been underutilized in Minnesota where they haven't thrown the deep ball much........but he's not much of a route runner so not sure how he'd fit for Dennison.

2 reasons for me:

1. New OC & Offensive system likely means more passing

2. You want the pieces in place when you do find a replacement QB in the draft

Reason 3 you barely have any under contract!! Do people think that the passing game would have been better or worse with a healthy Sammy? If the answer is "better" (which it obviously is) you can easily assume that it would be better with other upgrades as well. I never understood the logic "I don't like the passing game so no reason to upgrade the receivers." That is SO counterintuitive; you always upgrade the roster. Did the running game improve when Shady came?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Reason 3 you barely have any under contract!! Do people think that the passing game would have been better or worse with a healthy Sammy? If the answer is "better" (which it obviously is) you can easily assume that it would be better with other upgrades as well. I never understood the logic "I don't like the passing game so no reason to upgrade the receivers." That is SO counterintuitive; you always upgrade the roster. Did the running game improve when Shady came?

True, we can't afford 3 FA WRs :lol:

He will get something like what Sanu got. I know that everyone likes Woods but he's a JAG to me. He is okay and will go somewhere and be okay. You can get his level of production (or more in the case of Davis / Williams) for less money. Woods doesn't have a skill that differentiates him besides for toughness. He an okay NFL receiver.

That's the way I feel about Woods.

He and Taylor were starting to click better toward the end of the season...........but he's a tweener ........not big or fast enough to be a big play guy....... but also lacking the slot receiver quicks and RAC ability.

They could and may do worse.......but you want more from your WR2..........especially if the QB choice is Taylor.......whose strength as a passer is the deep ball.

Given that we have Woods, Goodwin and Hunter all going to FA I am trying to figure out how we address WR this offseason. I know a lot of people are saying QB in the first round, which would seem to rule out WRs like Davis, Williams and Ross in the draft, so I'm wondering how would people address WR through FA and the draft.

Lets be clear, there are only a few here advocating for a QB in the first round. Most of us realize that would be a big mistake. I for one think our first round pick should be and will be either one of the top 2 WRs (Davis and Williams) or it will be in the secondary where we already have 2 big holes at Safety and likely will have another at DB.

I really don't want to resign Woods for what he is going to ask for. IMO, I would say go after either D-Jax or Garcon in FA if you are going to sign a bigger name and then you don't have to look at WR with the 10th pick and can focus on the secondary. If not, then vets like Boldin and Britt are good replacements for Woods too, and then target a younger upside guy like Floyd, Patterson, and even Hunter to come in and compete as well. If you go that route, then you don't have to go WR at 10 and could still focus on the secondary and maybe add another WR later in the draft.

Amendola could be a nice addition if he's released. Whaley seems to covet size, so britt or quick could be in the mix. I always like terrance williams in Dallas. Garcon's always been a solid secondary piece who blocks well.

Smaller guys? Ginn or Wright could be interesting.

On the cheaper end - maybe brice butler? Bring back Hunter and tate?

Depends what you're looking for in a receiver.