Rick Wagner an option?

BeastMode54

Spotrac had him at about $8 million/year. Given the Bills have 2 (good) left tackles, I've been wondering if it would be worth exploring a trade of Glenn to some needy LT teams? NFL.com's draft needs analysts suggest Denver and Seattle have needs at LT (Jags, Chargers, and Panthers also need a LT but I'm sure they'd only trade a R2 pick).

Trade Glenn (and his salary) for a R1 pick, move CK to LT and pay Wagner. Risky and ballsy move. Would provide $6 million in cap space and 2 R1 picks. I think they'd only do it if they were confident that Henderson could fill the swing backup role, despite his remaining suspension....

Spotrac had him at about $8 million/year. Given the Bills have 2 (good) left tackles, I've been wondering if it would be worth exploring a trade of Glenn to some needy LT teams? NFL.com's draft needs analysts suggest Denver and Seattle have needs at LT (Jags, Chargers, and Panthers also need a LT but I'm sure they'd only trade a R2 pick).

Trade Glenn (and his salary) for a R1 pick, move CK to LT and pay Wagner. Risky and ballsy move. Would provide $6 million in cap space and 2 R1 picks. I think they'd only do it if they were confident that Henderson could fill the swing backup role, despite his remaining suspension....

Trade Glenn???? You are mad.

I'm all for giving the CK - left and CG - right a go.... but only if I have the security of putting Cordy back on my left side if it is a failure. I still think left tackle is a premier, cornerstone position in this league that you cannot afford to scrape by on.

I'm all for giving the CK - left and CG - right a go.... but only if I have the security of putting Cordy back on my left side if it is a failure. I still think left tackle is a premier, cornerstone position in this league that you cannot afford to scrape by on.

I agree - not with the mad part but the rest of this. I was encouraged by CK's play last year but not impressed and confident enough to commit to him as our starting LT.

Mad? No. Risky and Ballsy? Yes.

If they assess that CK can fill Glenn's shoes, why not? They'll probably lose CK to FA after next season.

He's started 5-6 games at LT, so I'm sure they know what he can do. It would be a waste to move Glenn to RT with his salary.

Trading Glenn and signing Wagner actually improves the OL overall (solidifying RT), creates cap space, adds either a R1 or R2 + a pick, in a year when the Bills have multiple needs. The main downside is having the swing back up--I think Henderson can be that, but he will also be out 5 games to start the season.

Mad? No. Risky and Ballsy? Yes.

If they assess that CK can fill Glenn's shoes, why not? They'll probably lose CK to FA after next season.

He's started 5-6 games at LT, so I'm sure they know what he can do. It would be a waste to move Glenn to RT with his salary.

Trading Glenn and signing Wagner actually improves the OL overall (solidifying RT), creates cap space, adds either a R1 or R2 + a pick, in a year when the Bills have multiple needs. The main downside is having the swing back up--I think Henderson can be that, but he will also be out 5 games to start the season.

You do not trade away left tackles who are in the top 10-12 in the NFL, proven over 4/5 years to bring in a right tackle to improve your line for one year. It is a horrible strategy.

Moving Glenn to the right for one year I can just about get behind trying.... trading him away is just a nonsense.

EDIT: In terms of consistency over the last 4 or 5 years the only LTs I can think of who have been more consistently excellent than Glenn are Andrew Whitworth, Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Trent Williams and maybe Duane Brown and Terron Armstead (those last two I'd have on a par). That is the company he is in.

Edited by GunnerBill

Looks like it would take about 10 mill/year to get him. I don't think that's in our budget.

This. Every year we have people suggesting that the Bills can just go out and BUY any free agent that's out there. Never mind the salary cap. Never mind those pesky facts that get in the way of a dreamed reality. The Bills are not only near the bottom of the NFL in available cap space, but have more free agents than anyone. Wagner is just a luxury that they can't afford.

If we can get him in the 8 million range that Spotrac has him, yes. Simply don't take the option on TT. Use the 13 million cap and add it to our cap. Sign Wagner and our Oline is one of the solidest in the league. Since TT is simply a bridge QB, he is not worth the 27 million guaranteed. Don't overpay for Wood & Gillmore, sign lesser but still quality FA at CB & WR, saving a few million each on both of them. Sign a lower cost FA bridge QB or trade for a QB like AJ McCarron. We can draft a WR high, one of the top 5 QBs in the draft available in the 2nd. We have the line to protect our developing QBs and bridge QB. Our run game is improved by our solid Oline. We have Cardale and the drafted QB to develop this year for next. If neither looks ready by next years draft, we draft high for QB. No need to risk fooling around moving Glenn. Tender RFA Goy, CK is our swing tackle. Our offense is set and loaded. We move forward building for the future, we may lose one or two games more than with TT. But we were not going to make it beyond the wildcard with TT anyway, if we even made the playoffs, so why not build for the future now.

This. Every year we have people suggesting that the Bills can just go out and BUY any free agent that's out there. Never mind the salary cap. Never mind those pesky facts that get in the way of a dreamed reality. The Bills are not only near the bottom of the NFL in available cap space, but have more free agents than anyone. Wagner is just a luxury that they can't afford.

Affordability can be based on who you choose not to resign.

Mike Remmers will be the TGT IMO. Likely gonna be signed for around 4M a year.

In terms of Ricky Wagner Spotrac has him at 6.9M Market Value. So that being said once the market heats up I could see around 8M a year being his final number and no that is to much.

If we can get him in the 8 million range that Spotrac has him, yes. Simply don't take the option on TT. Use the 13 million cap and add it to our cap. Sign Wagner and our Oline is one of the solidest in the league. Since TT is simply a bridge QB, he is not worth the 27 million guaranteed. Don't overpay for Wood & Gillmore, sign lesser but still quality FA at CB & WR, saving a few million each on both of them. Sign a lower cost FA bridge QB or trade for a QB like AJ McCarron. We can draft a WR high, one of the top 5 QBs in the draft available in the 2nd. We have the line to protect our developing QBs and bridge QB. Our run game is improved by our solid Oline. We have Cardale and the drafted QB to develop this year for next. If neither looks ready by next years draft, we draft high for QB. No need to risk fooling around moving Glenn. Tender RFA Goy, CK is our swing tackle. Our offense is set and loaded. We move forward building for the future, we may lose one or two games more than with TT. But we were not going to make it beyond the wildcard with TT anyway, if we even made the playoffs, so why not build for the future now.

I think that it is a solid strategy overall but the run game isn't improving without TT. We had the highest YPC over the last 15 NFL seasons (at least through 16 games I don't know where it ended up). They aren't going to be better than that. I still suspect a top 5-10 running game.

If the Bills choose to walk away from Gilmore and TT they have quite a bit of cap space that opens. Gilmore had a cap hit of over $11M last year and Tyrod was about $7M. If you walk away from TT you take a $2.8M hit of dead cap space but open up about $13M in cap space. You can save another $3M if you walked away from Eric Wood, $3.775M if you walked away from Corey Graham and $2.4M cutting Carpenter (the easiest decision of the offseason).

The Bills have a lot of FA and have a chance to shake things up quite a bit if they choose to. They need 2 receivers, a RT, 1-2 S (depending on Aaron Williams), up to 2 QBs (depending on Tyrod), a starting CB (if Gilmore goes) and probably at least 1 starting LB (could be Zach Brown). Some of these spots may not come open depending on their re-signings but things like WR will almost certainly need 2 guys. The team will look a lot different in 2017.

Trade Glenn (and his salary) for a R1 pick, move CK to LT and pay Wagner. Risky and ballsy move. Would provide $6 million in cap space and 2 R1 picks. I think they'd only do it if they were confident that Henderson could fill the swing backup role, despite his remaining suspension...

Glenn just signed a contract last year. There will be no trading of our current LT. We learned our lesson from the Jason Peters ordeal I believe.

Wagner would be an upgrade but has to be the right price (<$5m/yr). Remmers is a good option too and should be cheaper. Have to upgrade RT.

I admit I did not watch Carolina much this year, but I remember him getting schooled in the Superbowl. I thought he had a bad year this year, giving up a lot of sacks and taking a lot of bad penalties at the worst times. Am I not remembering him right? Is he really that much an upgrade over Mills? Might Reiff be a better option if you want to be in the 5 million range?

Edited by simpleman

Remmers had a decent 2014 and a good 2015 but Von Miller did dominate him in the Superbowl (no shame in that) He had a bad year this year but the whole line was beset with injuries and positional shuffles. I think given consistency around him he is better than Mills. Whether he is enough better to justify the increased cost is a fair question.